Which player is the clubs best transfer of the last 20 years?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gotta be between Bale & Modric.

Runners-up you'd have Hugo, Eriksen, Super Jan, Sonny...

The old strike force of Robbie Keane, Berbatov, Defoe did great for us too, as did Van der Vaart
VdV was definitely the biggest discount we ever got relative to a player’s obvious value at the time.

Madrid were just sick of him and wanted rid and the money meant nothing so they pawned him off for 8 mil on deadline day because who cares?

This was the football culture Levy dominated. A bygone era. An era when a domestic talent like Bale cost 5M plus 5M in incentives because he was just 17. Imagine what Southampton would ask for a guy like that now.

There was just free money lying around if you were clever enough to grab it.

Captain Hugo for £11m in 2012 was incredibly good business.
Yeah, think it's Lloris for me too! He's on 396 appearences in all comps and will become only the 12th Spurs player to play over 400 games all comps. Pat Jennings (590) and Ted Ditchburn (452) the only two goalkeepers that have played more for us. £11m for a top class goalkeeper that plays for this long is just insane business

Wikipedia is telling me Hugo was 12+4 in variables and that’s my recollection too.

That was an old school vans-in-the-dark deadline day swoop.

Then Clint Demspey out of nowhere the same day after his move to Liverpool fell through.

VdV was definitely the biggest discount we ever got relative to a player’s obvious value at the time.

Madrid were just sick of him and wanted rid and the money meant nothing so they pawned him off for 8 mil on deadline day because who cares?

This was the football culture Levy dominated. A bygone era. An era when a domestic talent like Bale cost 5M plus 5M in incentives because he was just 17. Imagine what Southampton would ask for a guy like that now.

There was just free money lying around if you were clever enough to grab it.
Spot on, pal.

Real would ask minimum 25 mil for VdV if it was today. And So'ton wouldn't let Bale go for less than 20 or even 30 mil plus ridiculous incentives.

I'd be curious to know how much Boro may want for that Djed Spence. I bet it's like 15 mil minimum plus 5 mil in easy bonuses plus like 20% of resale benefits

Real would ask minimum 25 mil for VdV if it was today. And So'ton wouldn't let Bale go for less than 20 or even 30 mil plus ridiculous incentives.
For one thing So’ton wouldn’t sell period because of Premier League TV money they wouldn’t have to.

But they were Champo then, if the next Bale popped up at Hull or something he’d cost 50M without breaking a sweat.

He was twice the prospect Sessegnon was at a similar stage of development, and it took Sess flopping horribly in the PL to nab him for 25M

Modric was a club record fee at the time.

This whole thread is a lesson that the best transfers are not the biggest discounts, or the cleverest financial deals, or even the quickest profits (no one’s ever beating Kevin Wimmer on that one), but the best and most impactful players in a Spurs shirt.

We paid too much for Lloris and Sonny. Means nothing when you get it right.

Back
Top Bottom