Which Tottenham player did you want/hoped would do well.....but didn’t.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

KPB.

I remember him playing against Middlesbrough in one of his first games and thinking damn, we've got a real gem here.

Shame it never truly worked out for him here. He had the ability but perhaps just didn't have that drive at the time. Always pleased to see that he's done relatively well. Played for his country at a World Cup, won Serie A, won La Liga, part of the Frankurt team that beat Bayern in the domestic Cup.

And one of the only players to score in England, Spain, Italy and Germany top flight leagues and win a cup in all of these leagues too. As well as scoring at a World Cup.

KPB.

I remember him playing against Middlesbrough in one of his first games and thinking damn, we've got a real gem here.

Shame it never truly worked out for him here. He had the ability but perhaps just didn't have that drive at the time. Always pleased to see that he's done relatively well. Played for his country at a World Cup, won Serie A, won La Liga, part of the Frankurt team that beat Bayern in the domestic Cup.

And one of the only players to score in England, Spain, Italy and Germany top flight leagues and win a cup in all of these leagues too. As well as scoring at a World Cup.

Got me thinking....

Adel Taarabt

Got me thinking....

Adel Taarabt

Another good shout.

One of the most talented footballers I've ever seen live. Saw him at Stamford Bridge when we lost 1-0 due to a Carvalho goal and also saw him for QPR a few times when he put in the greatest season in the competitions history.

Glad to see he's doing well for Benfica. As a DM amazingly.

N'jie & Tanguy Ndombele. I wanted them to do well because they'refFrench and ACTUALLY THOUGHT THEY HAD THE ATHLETICISM TO DO WELL in this league but I was obviously deluded

Another good shout.

One of the most talented footballers I've ever seen live. Saw him at Stamford Bridge when we lost 1-0 due to a Carvalho goal and also saw him for QPR a few times when he put in the greatest season in the competitions history.

Another good shout.

Does his ball control and skill set remind you of Tanguy N'Dombele.... hope the end result isn't the same.

To be fair, he was better than most of what we had then.

I can think of quite a few I really thought would be the players to take us up a notch but didn't in the PL era.

You've all said Rebrov
John Scales and Jamie Redknapp
Les Ferdinand and David Ginola

On paper they're all experienced players that came from clubs who regularly finished above us.
Yes Ginola was magic but he didn't really elevate us like we thought. Harsh on him but compare that to Bale who dragged us up to the next level on his own....
Sir Les was a great CF, but always injured
Scales and Redknapp, as far as could tell, were just at Spurs for south east heat and an easy run to retirement

Can’t really compare Bale’s situation with Ginola though. Bale had Modric, Van de vaart, Lennon, Walker, Vertonghen, Rose, Defoe etc to play with. Ginola played with Chris Perry, Oyvind Leonhardsen , Luke Young, Stephen Clemence and IanWalker etc.
Ginola was the only player worth watching at that time.
I agree with Redknapp 100% over rated and weak as piss

Gonna chip in with an obscure name, seeing as all the obvious ones are taken - Mounir El Hamdaoui.

When I saw this outrageous bit of skill in the Peace Cup in 2005 I was convinced he was going to be the greatest of all time.

Scored three times in two friendlies after that then sank without trace, never played again for us.

Back
Top Bottom