Which Tottenham player did you want/hoped would do well.....but didn’t.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck sake people naming Kranjcar, Pav and Huddleston as disappointing, players that played a massive part in us getting our first top 4 finish.

Could it be argued David Bentley was a massive disappointment? He also played his part in getting us top 4, but fell foul of upsetting Redknapp and that was his career with us finished.
Kranjcar was more than alright player. He had good career, but in younger days he was Modric type of talent. Just saying.

Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but Aurier would be up there for me. When he signed I thought for once we had actually replaced one of our big departing players with a like for like, top class replacement.

How horrifically wrong I was. :walker:

A lot of us did.... Bit rich when we get cunted off for signing him considering how people were widely wooed by the PSG-factor; many having professed to have seen him play themselves(*).

Hindsight at it's best.

(*In that respect, not dis-similar to Lucas when you consider how many had already turned on him after his first half season.)

Every single player we have signed, I wanted to do well. Is it just me, or is this a new level of weird thread in this place?:deledoubt:
Isn’t the point to consider your personal expectations of the player?

I want every player we sign to do well, so does everyone. That’s pretty obvious.

However, when we signed the Bale Seven, were your expectations similar for Lamela and Capoue? You wanted them to be successful, but did you expect Capoue to be as successful as Lamela?

I didn’t, so I’d include Lamela in this thread but not Capoue.

Or just ignore the thread. Either or.

Based on his talent, Dembele. He was great for us but he genuinely had so much more talent than he allowed his career to achieve. He was a rare player but just lacked that little bit extra to become the real deal. Him and Jenas who I thought really let himself down based on his early promise when he was at Newcastle.

Based on his talent, Dembele. He was great for us but he genuinely had so much more talent than he allowed his career to achieve. He was a rare player but just lacked that little bit extra to become the real deal. Him and Jenas who I thought really let himself down based on his early promise when he was at Newcastle.

Dunno about Dembele but Jenas I defo agree. Another player who I thought would achieve more at the start of his career.

He never improved much over the seasons - he was the same player throughout his career with all that potential he had.

Stambouli is another player I actually quite liked the look of and thought he might be a dark horse.
Shame, obviously

Jenas is a 'shrinker' sadly.... No different as a pundit.

Dembele: Shit managers, turbulent times.... I fear we just solved the riddle a little too late.

Definitely Rebrov too...

Thought he was gonna be THE ONE!
...shame we didn't do an 'Ossie & Ricky' and get Schevchenko to keep his mate company!!

Bit like a good '70s/'80s comedy double act... they might be great together, but one IS ALWAYS carrying the other one!

A lot of us did.... Bit rich when we get cunted off for signing him considering how people were widely wooed by the PSG-factor; many having professed to have seen him play themselves(*).

Hindsight at it's best.

(*In that respect, not dis-similar to Lucas when you consider how many had already turned on him after his first half season.)
I had seen Aurier quite a bit before, going all the way back to the 2010 World Cup when he was first mooted as being a big talent. I thought he looked the dogs bollocks even back then; fast, fearless, tough tackler. He had everything you would want in a top quality full back.
When we were linked with him seriously when it was clear Walker was off I wouldn't have thought at the time there would be many right backs in Europe who would be a better replacement.

Him and Lucas are like chalk and cheese tbf though. I can't speak for others but I thought Lucas looked quality from the moment he signed, Serge in comparison has really just been a car crash since day 1, as sad as I am to admit it.

I had seen Aurier quite a bit before, going all the way back to the 2010 World Cup when he was first mooted as being a big talent. I thought he looked the dogs bollocks even back then; fast, fearless, tough tackler. He had everything you would want in a top quality full back.
When we were linked with him seriously when it was clear Walker was off I wouldn't have thought at the time there would be many right backs in Europe who would be a better replacement.

Him and Lucas are like chalk and cheese tbf though. I can't speak for others but I thought Lucas looked quality from the moment he signed, Serge in comparison has really just been a car crash since day 1, as sad as I am to admit it.

I don't think Aurier is a warrior, I think Lucas is. That's the big difference between the both of them and Dele needs to ensure he falls into the Lucas category more than the Aurier category as he grows into a made man.

Aurier doesn't have the guts for it, he's got bags of raw talent and potential but sadly his head seems gone. I want Clubber Langs in my team and sadly Aurier just seems happy to plod along and shift responsibility to others. Big shame but after two years of him being a Spurs player I just don't see that he gets it.

Lucas with tears in his eyes after the final, now that's the kind of character I want at my club and nobody can say that Lucas hasn't got his nut down and given us his all. It'll get him far in his career unlike Serge unless he sorts it out and gets a different frame of mind. I can't remember seeing him taking on his full back properly, too many passes inside or crosses, he needs far sharper teeth to make it at a club like ours.

Last edited:
I don't think Aurier is a warrior, I think Lucas is. That's the big difference between the both of them and Dele needs to ensure he falls into the Licas category more than the Aurier category as he grows into a made man.

Aurier doesn't have the guts for it, he's got bags of raw talent and potential but sadly his head seems gone. I want Clubber Langs in my team and sadly Aurier just seems happy to plod along and shift responsibility to others. Big shame but after two years of him being a Spurs player I just don't see that he gets it.

Lucas with tears in his eyes after the final, now that's the kind of character I want at my club and nobody can say that Lucas hasn't got his nut down and given us his all. It'll get him far in his career unlike Serge unless he sorts it out and gets a different frame of mind. I can't remember seeing him taking on his full back properly, too many passes inside or crosses, he needs far sharper teeth to make it at a club like ours.

....Fuck yes!

I remember the doubts creeping around about him early last season. I hadn't succumbed to them myself, but Vs Barca was a watershed IMO much the same... You could just tell he was like "fuck this; I didn't leave PSG to get bitched out against big teams with a wimper"... Don't know if it came accross on TV (nor can I remember who it was), but he had a mini-war with his opposing number that night. Such fond memories of that; even tho we lost.....

He's got bad-ass old-testament, fire and brimstone wielding god on his side and he's not affraid to use it. :tobyarm:

Re: Serge - I can only imagine the diff. in leagues has played a large part.

I don't think Aurier is a warrior, I think Lucas is. That's the big difference between the both of them and Dele needs to ensure he falls into the Licas category more than the Aurier category as he grows into a made man.

Couldn't agree more. I genuinely believe with Aurier 90% of his problems have been down to mentality. At PSG he was playing in his home town, with his pals, you could see when he played for them he really gave a shit.

He probably saw coming to Spurs as almost a step down, thought it would be an easy ride etc, then when he started struggling early doors and the fans(and probably Poch) started getting on his back he probably thought fuck this and just stopped really caring and actively trying to improve his game.

Couldn't agree more. I genuinely believe with Aurier 90% of his problems have been down to mentality. At PSG he was playing in his home town, with his pals, you could see when he played for them he really gave a shit.

He probably saw coming to Spurs as almost a step down, thought it would be an easy ride etc, then when he started struggling early doors and the fans(and probably Poch) started getting on his back he probably thought fuck this and just stopped really caring and actively trying to improve his game.

I kinda expected an enigma and to some degree we got one... Like a right sided BAE.. Unorthodox, but effective.. Saw hints of the player I hoped for last year when he had a decent game, but too much time off meant he couldn't even get a run even when KT was struggling form.

I think that's what'll cost him a future here.

....Fuck yes!

I remember the doubts creeping around about him early last season. I hadn't succumbed to them myself, but Vs Barca was a watershed IMO much the same... You could just tell he was like "fuck this; I didn't leave PSG to get bitched out against big teams with a wimper"... Don't know if it came accross on TV (nor can I remember who it was), but he had a mini-war with his opposing number that night. Such fond memories of that; even tho we lost.....

He's got bad-ass old-testament, fire and brimstone wielding god on his side and he's not affraid to use it. :tobyarm:

Re: Serge - I can only imagine the diff. in leagues has played a large part.

Lucas has a fire in him that is fuelled by his passion for the game and a tenacious, champion mentality. I remember watching an interview with him before we played Man U up at Old Trafford this year. The commentator asked him about the game and he said he has come to win and the commentator took his words less seriously than Lucas, who really meant it. After the game the commentator said something along the lines of you weren't lying etc and Lucas just looked at him and said of course he wasn't.

He has genuine belief but ultimately doesn't rest on it. He grafts, chases, wins balls, gets fouled and gets on with it. Scored some big, crucial goals in huge games this year and it doesn't surprise me that he has. Characters like that are as important at the talent is and unfortunately Aurier severely let's himself down in this department. I want shithouse Serge, not smiling, winking Serge but that opportunity is quickly slipping away from him.

As TomHotspur TomHotspur said, I think Aurier came in seeing it as a step down and a little bit Billy Big Bollocks and it backfired massively. He came in doing ducking dummies and sliding in tackles, showboater defending and he soon realised you can't get away with that in this league and ever since he seems to have either not given much of a shit or gone completely into his shell. Either way it doesn't bode well for his future as a Tottenham player. The man needs to be fierce and he's not, he's a pussy cat compared to what he could and should be. Blood, sweat and tears son, Aurier comes across as one that has very little in all 3 departments based on what I've seen of him so far.

Last edited:
I don't think Aurier is a warrior, I think Lucas is. That's the big difference between the both of them and Dele needs to ensure he falls into the Lucas category more than the Aurier category as he grows into a made man.

Only seen Aurier display any fighting mode once, at inter away last season. Then he reverted back to type, being caught out of position and yelling at his team mates to deflect his poor decision making.

Isn’t the point to consider your personal expectations of the player?

I want every player we sign to do well, so does everyone. That’s pretty obvious.

However, when we signed the Bale Seven, were your expectations similar for Lamela and Capoue? You wanted them to be successful, but did you expect Capoue to be as successful as Lamela?

I didn’t, so I’d include Lamela in this thread but not Capoue.

Or just ignore the thread. Either or.
Cool story bro.

Back
Top Bottom