Which Tottenham player did you want/hoped would do well.....but didn’t.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember John Moncur being hyped to fuck and me going round school telling kids that he was a future great.....

:llorishuh:

Last edited:
Rebrov all day long...
Then again, I had high hopes for Ruel Fox... so the FUCK do I know?
To be fair, he was better than most of what we had then.

I can think of quite a few I really thought would be the players to take us up a notch but didn't in the PL era.

You've all said Rebrov
John Scales and Jamie Redknapp
Les Ferdinand and David Ginola

On paper they're all experienced players that came from clubs who regularly finished above us.
Yes Ginola was magic but he didn't really elevate us like we thought. Harsh on him but compare that to Bale who dragged us up to the next level on his own....
Sir Les was a great CF, but always injured
Scales and Redknapp, as far as could tell, were just at Spurs for south east heat and an easy run to retirement

To be fair, he was better than most of what we had then.

I can think of quite a few I really thought would be the players to take us up a notch but didn't in the PL era.

You've all said Rebrov
John Scales and Jamie Redknapp
Les Ferdinand and David Ginola

On paper they're all experienced players that came from clubs who regularly finished above us.
Yes Ginola was magic but he didn't really elevate us like we thought. Harsh on him but compare that to Bale who dragged us up to the next level on his own....
Sir Les was a great CF, but always injured
Scales and Redknapp, as far as could tell, were just at Spurs for south east heat and an easy run to retirement

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

....Even the mighty Lilywhite shirt couldn't lessen the stench for me.

Last edited:
Soldado

Was the summer of great promise - we finally landed a proper striker after years of shitness

When he landed in his black jeans and white shirt I though we'd finally turned a corner. We even put him on RyanAir in true Levy fashion

Out of the 7 we signed that summer he was teh one I really wanted to smash it

BQm_Z9hCIAEXzOq.jpg

Can't remember who it was against now, but he scored an absolute peach of a goal in the EL and i thought "Yes! He's finally arrived".... Didn't manage to do a thing since. :dier:
But do you not think and yes I know we don’t what goes on in training and behind the scenes that players/certain players don’t seem to get a chance or at least we as fans do t think they do Jansen, Soldado, Holtby, Njie to name but four! yet Dier is nothing but average yet is still in our team.

But do you not think and yes I know we don’t what goes on in training and behind the scenes that players/certain players don’t seem to get a chance or at least we as fans do t think they do Jansen, Soldado, Holtby, Njie to name but four! yet Dier is nothing but average yet is still in our team.

...It's not like Holtby didn't play again; he just failed to make an impact. He was suggested to be a bit of a dick behind the scenes and has done nothing of note since leaving. Presumably after the initial hype of German U21 captain he lacked the application/maturity to kick on.

N'Jie: Mediocre > Inured > Sold.... You may have a point in his case though. I always thought Stambouli was a bit unfortunate too. Same as Fazio who was actually pretty good when he had an extended run standing in for Toby. Always seemed odd to me that Pritchard didn't get a shot here and there bearing in mind he made quite the impact in the champo at Norwich

The 2 strikers are a bit different though.... They both had decent game time but when we needed them they couldn't deliver. Vinny had youth on his side, but once he'd pissed Poch off dragging his heels over a much needed loan that's all she wrote.

Meanwhile... Dier is trading off of the track record of the first half of his tenure... Which has afforded him some time to try and bounce back after a year+ very much disrupted by injury and illness. Clock is ticking mind.

In short; circumstances vary and from our outside perspective we sometimes don't see enough to judge for ourselves. I must admit though - on the surface at least - Poch did seem to have a habbit of giving up on players pretty quickly.

...It's not like Holtby didn't play again; he just failed to make an impact. He was suggested to be a bit of a dick behind the scenes and has done nothing of note since leaving. Presumably after the initial hype of German U21 captain he lacked the application/maturity to kick on.

N'Jie: Mediocre > Inured > Sold.... You may have a point in his case though. I always thought Stambouli was a bit unfortunate too. Same as Fazio who was actually pretty good when he had an extended run standing in for Toby. Always seemed odd to me that Pritchard didn't get a shot here and there bearing in mind he made quite the impact in the champo at Norwich

The 2 strikers are a bit different though.... They both had decent game time but when we needed them they couldn't deliver. Vinny had youth on his side, but once he'd pissed Poch off dragging his heels over a much needed loan that's all she wrote.

Meanwhile... Dier is trading off of the track record of the first half of his tenure... Which has afforded him some time to try and bounce back after a year+ very much disrupted by injury and illness. Clock is ticking mind.

In short; circumstances vary and from our outside perspective we sometimes don't see enough to judge for ourselves. I must admit though - on the surface at least - Poch did seem to have a habbit of giving up on players pretty quickly.
Yeah as I said we don’t know what happens behind the scenes Fazio again like you thought big hairy arsed no nonsense defender who’d not get bullied had a couple of bad games that was it then where was it Roma? he’s the main man! other one think from Romania chriches (spelling) looked promising then was a bit ropey in a Europa league game and that was him. Neither got long enough runs in the team to let them settle.

Back
Top Bottom