Which Tottenham player did you want/hoped would do well.....but didn’t.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Soldado

Jansen

But yes, let's sell Kane!

Others:

Holtby (thought he could be a modric replacement)

Lamela (still useful, but we broke the bank on him and he was one of the best young prospects in europe at the time)

Chadli (had hope he would be what Son has been for us)

Sandro (likely would have hit those heights if not for injuries)

Aurier (though too soon probably)

Sessegnon (ditto)

Paulinho

Is is too soon to include Ndombele in this list?
Apart from him, Janssen, Paulinho and I guess I thought Coco Lamela would be a world-beater when he joined us, but his injuries just limited him to a very good squad player. Could be worse though, just look at Iturbe for example, who is a very similar player to Lamela.

Also, the name of the thread should be "which players did we expect to do well but didn't, not which players did we want to do well".

I had high hopes for Yedlin. Maybe not that he'd become a starter but at least that he would have pushed Walker and had the role that Trippier had.

Dumitrescu and Rebrov were both heroes of mine and I wanted them to become legends until the day they left. Both looked amazing at first - incidentally, both in entertaining midweek home games against Everton. More recently, the soldier.

Lamela. When we bought him he looked a genuine prospect and for 30m an absolute steal. Injuries have absolutely wrecked him. Even so he is one if not the only player that gives 110% on the pitch no mater the circumstances. I still remember that 5-1 loss at Newcastle. Some of our players were almost in tears while this guys was still fighting like it was a final.
His work ethic is the only reason he is still in our squad.

Harry Winks

Spurs fan, youth prospect, would bleed for the badge.
Sadly steps on the pitch and turns into a nervous sack of shite that cares about pass completion more than making a difference.

I would be whoring him out to anyone looking to overpay to get their homegrown quota up.

Van Der Vart. If only he could've stayed fit and sorted his or personal life. His quality was above the rest at the time!
There's a Rafa highlight video on youtube from his time with us that I watch about once every quarter just because I have so many positive memories of the fucker.

If he wants to take up coaching/start working as a scout or sporting director we should bring him back.

Willem Korsten - Injuries.
Darren Anderton - Fantastic player, injuries again.
Younes Kaboul - Saw him at U-19 and thought he could have been a new Desailly, didn't quite turn out the player I'd hoped.
Tom Huddlestone - Saw him at Derby as a massive teenager with class hanging out of him, maybe was too big physically for his own good.

Back
Top Bottom