Which Tottenham player did you want/hoped would do well.....but didn’t.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, it wasn't... there was almost 10 years between the two of them moving to England. Maybe you're getting Rebrov mixed up with Pavlyuchenko?
Perhaps, its along time ago! I minded two Russians or Ukraine and one was better than the other and we apparently got the better one?

Perhaps, its along time ago! I minded two Russians or Ukraine and one was better than the other and we apparently got the better one?

I think in both cases we didn’t get the one considered to be better. Rebrov was second fiddle to Shevchenko, and Pavlyuchenko wasn’t considered as good as Arshavin.

I think in both cases we didn’t get the one considered to be better. Rebrov was second fiddle to Shevchenko, and Pavlyuchenko wasn’t considered as good as Arshavin.
I remember at the time thinking we’d got a diamond in Rebrov.......but sadly not

Rebrov was partnered with Shevchenko at Dynamo Kiev, who went on to Milan and scored a bucket load, but I don't think Rebrov was ever considered better than him. Maybe wishful thinking from us!

Arshavin and Pav were the Russian strikeforce at the Euros back whenever, as I recall we were still interested in Arshavin but couldn't get it done then he went to Woolwich in the winter and we resigned Keane.

Sessegnon and FOyth. IMO they are extremely talented and better than Aurier or Davis, but current coaching staff didn't give them nearly enough chances for them to succeed.

Last edited:
Acimovic. Did we see him in the World Cup? He looked very skilful before he arrived.

Remember him hitting the ball over the bar from 5 yards v Wet Spam, 0-0 result. Some players seem to have bad luck. He did the right thing by getting over the ball from the cross to make sure he hit the target. He hit it into the ground too hard and it flew over the bar.

Hoddle bought some absolute duds.

Helder Postiga. Even got this kit with his name and number on it. Since then, no more names and numbers :pochunimpressed:

RightFantasticImpala-size_restricted.gif

Zola today on Il Corriere della Sera in an interview (the topic was the Premier League) praised Mourinho's Tottenham indicating them as a team to be considered among the best together with Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea.

Giovani dos Santos - I remember watching him scoring a hat trick just turned 19 years old for Barca, and getting a thumbs up from a beaming coach Rijkaard. And then suddenly he was a Spurs player.

It transpired of course that GDS was a victim of new coach Guardiola's purge of the party boys (Ronaldinho, Deco etc).

Adel Taarabt. Again, fabulous natural talent, watching him waddle onto the pitch for his debut and leaving some Spammer fucktard on his butt with a ridiculous piece of skill was Football Comedy Gold. But Adel never could get in football shape.

As Mourinho told Dele:
'I don't know if it has to do with your lifestyle. I don't know if in one period you are an amazing professional and in another period you are a party boy.

'Only you can know that. One day I think you will regret if you don't reach what you can reach.'

Last edited:
Giovani dos Santos - I remember watching him scoring a hat trick just turned 19 years old for Barca, and getting a thumbs up from a beaming coach Rijkaard. And then suddenly he was a Spurs player.

It transpired of course that GDS was a victim of new coach Guardiola's purge of the party boys (Ronaldino, Deco etc).

Adel Taarabt. Again, fabulous natural talent, watching him waddle onto the pitch for his debut and leaving some Spammer fucktard on his butt with a ridiculous piece of skill was Football Comedy Gold. But Adel never could get in football shape.

As Mourinho told Dele:
'I don't know if it has to do with your lifestyle. I don't know if in one period you are an amazing professional and in another period you are a party boy.

'Only you can know that. One day I think you will regret if you don't reach what you can reach.'

Johnny Two Saints certainly had natural ability. I saw his pre-season debut live (possibly Bentley’s too) and he looked great. Whenever he got a chance for the first team it was usually a Cup game in a weakened side. Would have loved to see him play in a game when we were otherwise full strength.

I got the impression that his problem was his attitude rather than talent.

Are you remembering when we were getting Andre Arse Shavings and Pav together but one ended up at the tossers up the road and the other ended up playing with Fraser Campbell

Completely agree. I was utterly convinced he'd be banging in the goals for fun. Bitterly disappointed with him.

That was our fault rather than his. He thrived on low crossed from the wing. We played him as a target man with opportunities coming from behind him. A brilliant fox in the box and we used him as if he was Drogba.

Back
Top Bottom