Which Tottenham Player Has Done Way Better Than Expected

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ShutUpPatrik

Not sure if toxic positivity, or positively toxic?
A spin on the Which player did worse than you expected thread. Only this time we are turning it around.

Name a player that you were not sold on upon arrival, but who has overcome or dare I say blown away your expectations of them.

A simple first choice: Dele Alli. When we bought him from MK Dons I was expecting a kid to warm the bench or a long term project that would go out on loan for a season or two. Instead he was nailed on for the starting 11 almost from the word go.

Your turn.

As for the OP - Toby from the recent crop of signings - absolutely first class defender

Same goes for Modric- feared he was an over-hyped 'tiny dancer' (oh yes - I went there) - sheer class (possibly one of ENIC's Top 5 best signings and surprise, surprise - came during time of DOF

Dele........ Thought he was going to be another 'one for the future' that 6 months later you never hear from again. We've had a few 'Wonder kids' that have gone on to do absolutely nothing and I feared he'd be another.

As for the OP - Toby from the recent crop of signings - absolutely first class defender

Same goes for Modric- feared he was an over-hyped 'tiny dancer' (oh yes - I went there) - sheer class (possibly one of ENIC's Top 5 best signings and surprise, surprise - came during time of DOF
Probably the best example of recent times imo, wondered why we were bothering putting all that effort into hijacking his Southampton move.

For a brief spell I guess Wanyama too, didn't think he was required given Dier was doing well in the role at the time, but he was immense that 1st season.

He absolutely wasn't that shit - scored 8 goals and showed promise in many games

I would say he was Soldado / Bent first-season shit

I guess my opinion of NJie isnt as low as some.

As good as he is; I still find Son frustrating to this day.

Probably the best example of recent times imo, wondered why we were bothering putting all that effort into hijacking his Southampton move.

For a brief spell I guess Wanyama too, didn't think he was required given Dier was doing well in the role at the time, but he was immense that 1st season.
The Wanyama / Dembele pivot was the best CM pairing in the Prem that season - we were so good

Trippier.
Sold Walker for 50m, got Tripps for 5m. Was excellent in our system and provided plenty of goal assists.
Then we sold him for 22m, whichpretty much covered his fee and salary for his time at the club. Hats off to Levy on that one!!

Kane
I still remember the the meme's when we had 'no choice' but to play this kid. Slow, chubby, couldn't even get in the Norwich team; we all begged for Adebeyor to come back from his voodoo curse.

Eriksen
After we missed out on Moutinho, did anyone really expect the 'cut price, bargain basement' midfielder to be the top 3 performing midfielder in the EPL for 4 seasons straight? Providing key contributions to most of our goals and barely missing a single game through injury.

Lamela
Oh sorry. Wrong thread.

From the current squad I’d say Dier and Alderweirald.

Didn’t expect too much from either of them, but they both became key players. Not so much over the last year, but they have both put in some great performances for us.

Toby without a doubt. Did not know why we signed him at the time. Dier and Trippier.
I had high hopes for Dele but he has been way better than my expectation.
Davies hasn't set the world on fire but he's been good and I was totally against the joint signing with Vorm.
Cudicini did a lot better than I thought he would.

Dele has to be up there for the price we paid and those first two seasons

However I find it hard to be positive about him these days , after those first couple of years I thought we had a generational talent that would be truly approaching world class by now

In reality he is just an average midfielder who pops up with a few goals now and then

Back
Top Bottom