Who do you think will be the next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He wanted to own the squad building when the manager should just trust the process.
What process? Using an anecdote you will probably be familiar with, if you are asking him to cook the meal then why can't he buy the groceries? What manager should trust the process that Levy puts down? We are in the process of buying a striker right now...do you feeling trusting of the process? If you had RBL's people behind then perhaps you would feel trusting but every manager has been letdown by ENIC when just the right player was needed. You watch that Wolves game yesterday? See that awesome all around MFer they have that is still better than anything we have but somehow, someway his deal was seconds late? Yup, AVB would have loved him and looking back on it that would have been 20-25M well spent. Instead Levy goes for lamela and soldado for that type of money...not well spent but from that era.

Even if this goes tits up with Mou the taint may not stick with him because this is on the back of Poch being fired and all that he did with us. It might taint the club and position. Just like if you were Sorloth you wouldn't come here then other managers might think similarly.

Last edited:
Been supporting Spurs since 1989 and Redknapp's period of management was my favourite. Poch did amazing well but Redknapps's teams were more fun to watch for me. If only he had the Harry Kane that Poch had. That's all that was missing

I know many Spurs fans that cannot stand the wheeler dealer, chancer, gobby elements of him but I was and I am a big fan.
We never had it so good.

You must’ve forgotten that they spent an Additional £60 mil on Wijnaldum and Chamberlain. In 2016 & 17 & £50mil on Naby Keita . How long will you continue to stretch this coutinho money?
Personally I have never been afraid of selling players.

I would’ve take the alleged £60mil Man Utd offer for Dier in 2017, and Sold Toby and Eriksen to the highest bidders in 2018.

levy is penny wise pound foolish and the sooner spurs fans realise that the better. Part of the reason we find it so hard to shift players is because of his ridiculous overvaluations.

Fenway‘a Gave Klopp a squad that ultimately have reached 2 CL finals, winning one and being ridiculously good across 2 league campaigns. You can afford to not spend when you’ve reached those heights. We didn’t and haven’t.
Brilliant post. Sell 'em if you got 'em and rebuild younger, stronger, and cheaper. No sacred cows in my mind either.

You must’ve forgotten that they spent an Additional £60 mil on Wijnaldum and Chamberlain. In 2016 & 17 & £50mil on Naby Keita . How long will you continue to stretch this coutinho money?

I would’ve take the alleged £60mil Man Utd offer for Dier in 2017, and Sold Toby and Eriksen to the highest bidders in 2018.

levy is penny wise pound foolish and the sooner spurs fans realise that the better. Part of the reason we find it so hard to shift players is because of his ridiculous overvaluations.

Fenway‘a Gave Klopp a squad that ultimately have reached 2 CL finals, winning one and being ridiculously good across 2 league campaigns. You can afford to not spend when you’ve reached those heights. We didn’t and haven’t.
And this is why "net spend" means fuck all.

Nope - hence my my comment that most of this was funded the Countinho money, not all.

£25 million for Winjnaldum and £40 million for Chamberlian is the market we have been operating in - no difference there.

They have the same model as us, they have just been far more effective from a scouting aspect than us doing it in recent times

ENIC gave Pochettinho an elite team between 2016 to 2018 and he did nothing with it.

Fenway gave Klopp the same between 2018 and now and they won the CL and league.

The difference is the coach put Klopp with our 2016 side and we would probably have a couple of league titles to our name.

But this is always ignored and virtually no one criticises Pochettino - the enemy of the piece is ENIC, the body that gave him a prime Kane, Ali, Son, Eriksen, Alderwield, Walker, Lloris and Dembele, not the man who did nothing with them

Exactly. He just can not see the big picture.

When he is trying to sell a player there are 3 possible outcomes.

1) We sell him for the amount Levy wants.

2) We sell him for less than Levy wants.

3) We don't sell him, we don't get any money and we've still got a player that we wanted to offload.

Levy can not understand that option 2 is better than option 3.

I think he regards transfers as a game of one upmanship between him and the other club and he doesn't think of what is in Tottenham's best interests.

Nope - hence my my comment that most of this was funded the Countinho money, not all.

£25 million for Winjnaldum and £40 million for Chamberlian is the market we have been operating in - no difference there.

They have the same model as us, they have just been far more effective from a scouting aspect than us doing it in recent times

ENIC gave Pochettinho an elite team between 2016 to 2018 and he did nothing with it.

Fenway gave Klopp the same between 2018 and now and they won the CL and league.

The difference is the coach put Klopp with our 2016 side and we would probably have a couple of league titles to our name.

But this is always ignored and virtually no one criticises Pochettino - the enemy of the piece is ENIC, the body that gave him a prime Kane, Ali, Son, Eriksen, Alderwield, Walker, Lloris and Dembele, not the man who did nothing with them

We had a very, very good team from 2016 to 2018 but they weren't elite.

this is hogwash. Most of those players were here before Poch and did nothing and most are here after and are doing nothing. Everything that they are and everything their profile is now is due to Poch. Few of these players were or are anything without him. No one was saying any of these players were elite before Poch. They weren't elite recruits and they will not be elite transfers when they leave. Revisionist bullshit from you as always.

Similarly, Klopp has an elite team full of few elite players. The sum is greater than its parts just like with us for the Poch era. You don't understand this and your ignorance and bias shows.

Last edited:
Exactly. He just can not see the big picture.

When he is trying to sell a player there are 3 possible outcomes.

1) We sell him for the amount Levy wants.

2) We sell him for less than Levy wants.

3) We don't sell him, we don't get any money and we've still got a player that we wanted to offload.

Levy can not understand that option 2 is better than option 3.

I think he regards transfers as a game of one upmanship between him and the other club and he doesn't think of what is in Tottenham's best interests.
And people say that Poch didn't want a striker or another player X here or there. But he was very clear when he stated that he'd rather not have shitty player X who was not good enough and then clogged up the squad. He learned that Levy was never going to move said player on so why bring him in when Poch didn't rate him? Look how long it took to get rid of Janssen or N'Jie or Nkoudou.

It's great if you are going to bring in cheap punts. I'm all for it. but the other side of the equation is you have to be willing to lose 50p on you 10M pound punt so that you can fill that squad place with another player with potential or a player the manager wants. Levy doesn't see this.

this is hogwash. Most of those players were here before Poch and did nothing and most are here after and are doing nothing. Everything that they are and everything their profile is now is due to Poch. Few of these players were or are anything without him. No one was saying any of these players were elite before Poch. They weren't elite recruits and they will not be elite transfers when they leave. Revisionist bullshit from you as always.

Similarly, Klopp has an elite team full of few elite players. The sum is greater than its parts just like with us for the Poch era. You don't understand this and it shows.
We had Kane and possibly Eriksen and Alderweireld who I’d say operated at a WC level. The rest were beneficiaries of the system, except Son who I see as a wild card. If the players were that good the team wouldn’t have declined how it did.

LFC have Allison, Robertson, VVD, Fabinho, Salah and Mane who are genuinely world class. Trent is elite because of his output but his flaws are covered by the system.

We need another Poch style project manager from the German school. We've tried the quick fix and it's made things worse and we'll be left with a lot of difficult to shift players. The likes of Kane and Son might be not be prepared to stick it out for a big overhaul and we may need to cash in.
We’ve got to hope and pray that Parrott, Skipp and Tanganga are can reach the required level. It will make the rebuild a lot easier

We had Kane and possibly Eriksen and Alderweireld who I’d say operated at a WC level. The rest were beneficiaries of the system, except Son who I see as a wild card. If the players were that good the team wouldn’t have declined how it did.

LFC have Allison, Robertson, VVD, Fabinho, Salah and Mane who are genuinely world class. Trent is elite because of his output but his flaws are covered by the system.
Robertson ain't even WC mate. Any way to answer the thread question. I have an increasingly weird feeling it will Pochettino again and it will be a mistake unless he comes back with new owners which the arrival of Trevor Birch makes me think is around a 5-1 chance. If its Levy trying to cover his own monumental error he will embarrass himself trying to get the new bright young thing so Naggelsmann and end up with Tuchel when PSG fire him. Wed be better off excepting the reality of our new status whilst ENIC pay off their stadium and appoint Chris wilder

Doherty a case in point. Looked good as a RWB, horrible/mediocre in a back 4
but from a squad build perspective I don't hate the Doherty xfer at all. Now we have a homegrown person upon which we can recruit an elite prospect/player (won't happen because Levy but stay with my logic here) on top of him. Get rid of Serge if Mou deems him not good enough and let Doherty man the post and tactically limit the exposure of his weaknesses. Now we have time to plan/scout a better player for recruitment that can play in a 3 or a 4. But the key to all of this is don't recruit average foreign players as they clog the squad.

Been a fan once I saw a handful of Brighton games last year. Been on that train since Poch was on the fritz. Has a bright future And would not be opposed to his appointment. Youngish, holds a Master's in leadership and emotional intelligence, and plays an attractive brand of football.

I think this year will be very telling for him. He has to start getting better results on the field or all his degrees and attractive football don't mean much.

Back
Top Bottom