Who do you want as next manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who do you want as next Spurs Manager?

• Mourinho

Votes: 74 50.7%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • Moyes

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Rogers

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Lambert

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • O'Neill

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Martinez

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Poyet

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 16.4%

• Total voters
I'm not saying you are wrong - I pointed out the signings that you asked and of those I'm pretty sure Fellaini is the most successful and I really don't rate him. He is awkward, poor first touch and more a thug than a football player. I also don't think Yakubu did anything of any note for Everton.

If you think that what a manager does in the transfer market isn't taken into consideration when they are appointed fair enough - I'll level a different issue I have, players sign for clubs and managers - Redknapp is a case in point. Moyes just doesn't hold the imagination and I don't think he is a draw where others are.

Is Moyes someone you would be happy to have as Spurs manager?

Dannyboy said:
I'm not saying you are wrong - I pointed out the signings that you asked and of those I'm pretty sure Fellaini is the most successful and I really don't rate him. He is awkward, poor first touch and more a thug than a football player. I also don't think Yakubu did anything of any note for Everton.

If you think that what a manager does in the transfer market isn't taken into consideration when they are appointed fair enough - I'll level a different issue I have, players sign for clubs and managers - Redknapp is a case in point. Moyes just doesn't hold the imagination and I don't think he is a draw where others are.

Is Moyes someone you would be happy to have as Spurs manager?

The thing is, people look at signings and think, 'he's not that good' or 'he's shit' whilst subconsciously comparing them to their own players.

Moyes would not be in for the same players at Spurts that his is at Everton, much like we were not in for the VDV's of this world 10 years ago.

Moyes has always had minimal funds to work with and his first priority it to make sure Everton don't get sucked into a relegation fight every year, because, really, they are only a few players away from that happening.

Now, the season he brings in Yakubu, he's thinking to himself, right, I need a striker who's gonna get me 10 goals a season minimum, but I also need a few other players, like a left back - oh look I can get Leighton Baines for so and so and I need a creative midfielder too - well there's this South African predator look a like at Dortmund who looks pretty good....

Now as a MANAGER - surely he has to spread those pounds as well as he can and bolster the squad, not just one position, you have to remember, clubs like Everton cant afford to go 20mil on a single player at a time.

So he gets, Yak, a solid Premier League player who always scores goals, and he gets Baines, and he gets Pienaar strengthening the team as a whole rather than going mad on one player.

You say Yak didn't do anything of note for Everton - in his first season he scored 15 premier League goals and finished on 21 all in, they done pretty well that year, finishing 5th (I think?)

He was also famously desperate to get Defoe but Portsmouth came out of nowhere and offered more money - Portsmouth who are now on the edge of oblivion. Luckily for Everton fans, Moyes and his chairman aren't as stupid as Portsmouth's and their Chairman/owners.

Now im not saying Moyes is my first choice for Spurs, im just saying I think the job he has done is incredible and some people out there look at Everton the wrong way in imo.

How many of you that are saying that they wouldn't want Mourinho because he would be to negative have actually watched Real Madrid this year? ( not trying to sound like an dick) They have been playing some crazy high speed football. He hasn't been playing like he did with Inter.

I voted "Other" for the following reasons:
- Mourinho won't come to Spurs,
- I just don't want any of the others...in particular the Moyes/Lambert/Rogers/Martinez/O'Neill clutch can fuck right off, and would take us backward.

:vdv:

SanDiegoYiddo said:
How many of you that are saying that they wouldn't want Mourinho because he would be to negative have actually watched Real Madrid this year? ( not trying to sound like an dick) They have been playing some crazy high speed football. He hasn't been playing like he did with Inter.
Problem here is that it's perhaps misguided to expect that he'd play the same brand of positive football without arguably the world's most expensively assembled squad; that he'd play proactive, attacking football without two of the world's best and most in-form center forwards in Benzema and Higuain, and without a player in C. Ronaldo that plays second fiddle only to Lionel Messi.

Moreover, "negative" has multiple meanings, only one of which is that he prefers to play safe, defensive football. The other part is that he's a fucking disgrace to the game. He is perhaps the world's greatest football coach, but he is as inglorious as it gets. I don't want that disgraceful eye-gouging, arrogant fuck anywhere near my club.

VirginiaSpur said:
SanDiegoYiddo said:
Problem here is that it's perhaps misguided to expect that he'd play the same brand of positive football without arguably the world's most expensively assembled squad; that he'd play proactive, attacking football without two of the world's best and most in-form center forwards in Benzema and Higuain, and without a player in C. Ronaldo that plays second fiddle only to Lionel Messi.

Moreover, "negative" has multiple meanings, only one of which is that he prefers to play safe, defensive football. The other part is that he's a fucking disgrace to the game. He is perhaps the world's greatest football coach, but he is as inglorious as it gets. I don't want that disgraceful eye-gouging, arrogant fuck anywhere near my club.

even if it meant we won 3 or 4 trophies?

I've got a feeling Hoddle will 'offer his services' ...he's already touting his wares to England & Chelsea like a prozzie on a street corner, (or Harry at a Thursday Press Conference!!) but I doubt either of them will give him a second thought... which leaves....

....a return to Swindon once someone lures Di Canio to the prem???

Tactically Hoddle was an excellent manager, the games for England away to Italy and the Argentina game were two examples of a manager who understands that each game should be judged on its individual merits. It's a pity he has no man management skills at all.

I always considered that both he and Jol had unfinished business but both of them had fractured relationships with Levy that ultimately cost them their job...I still think Hoddle deserved more time.

Has he been away from the game too long?

On a seperate note, I cannot fucking wait for Fergie and Wenger to go. Whoever follows them in the hot seat will have massive pressure on their shoulders - especially at United.

lots in the news today about capello lining himself up to swop with harry.
anybody care to comment on that? and would it be a good move for the club
making the swop?
i personally think it would be good. the stats are definately on capellos side.

Dunno if it's been mentioned in here, but... AVB? yes he failed at chelsea but I think that was largley down to JT, lamps and the rest of the toolsquad in that dressing room (and a little of AVB's naivety regarding the tech ability of parts of the squad). at porto he preformed stunningly, and porto are closer to us in terms of technical abillity and avaliable player types. his man-management skills are questionable, but they seemed to really like him at porto. I also think his system could work with our set-up.

then there's Moyes, who's worked wonders with very limited funds over at everton. he's proven in the EPL (which makes him favourable) he's a savy operator in the transfer market, and with an larger money bag than at the blues I think he can make some truly inspired signings. the big question is if he can manage the current squad (i.e. keep luka and bale) as well as attract the names we want and need to progress as we'd like.

Rodgers and Lambert are in the same boat. playing decent football with newly promoted clubs, but that could just as well be down to the element of surprise they are currently having on the league... we saw holloway having the same effect in the fall season with Blackpool, they seem to be doing a better job of it than holloway though.

anyways, I'd like harry to stay, as he knows our current players the best, no matter his tactical faults.

Kalyl said:
Dunno if it's been mentioned in here, but... AVB? yes he failed at chelsea but I think that was largley down to JT, lamps and the rest of the toolsquad in that dressing room (and a little of AVB's naivety regarding the tech ability of parts of the squad). at porto he preformed stunningly, and porto are closer to us in terms of technical abillity and avaliable player types. his man-management skills are questionable, but they seemed to really like him at porto. I also think his system could work with our set-up.
Too much of a risk IMO. He may well still be a good manager, but he doesn't have huge amounts of experience. I say let him get blooded elsewhere first.

then there's Moyes, who's worked wonders with very limited funds over at everton. he's proven in the EPL (which makes him favourable) he's a savy operator in the transfer market, and with an larger money bag than at the blues I think he can make some truly inspired signings. the big question is if he can manage the current squad (i.e. keep luka and bale) as well as attract the names we want and need to progress as we'd like.
Could well be the most logical direct replacement for Harry, but, again, there is the uncertainty factor. Can he handle a title race?

Rodgers and Lambert are in the same boat. playing decent football with newly promoted clubs, but that could just as well be down to the element of surprise they are currently having on the league... we saw holloway having the same effect in the fall season with Blackpool, they seem to be doing a better job of it than holloway though.
They need waaaay more experience before attempting the top of the Prem & CL.
anyways, I'd like harry to stay, as he knows our current players the best, no matter his tactical faults.
Yes. But assuming he doesn't then I think we need someone who has experience of managing at the top of a major league and the CL.

Back
Top Bottom