Who Exactly is Herbert Fighting?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Peter Herbert, Chair of the Society of Black Lawyers, has an unimpeachable record as an anti-racist activist and campaigner. He was instrumental in highlighting the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence in London, and the Met Police’s failure to bring justice to his family. He played a key role in the Anti Apartheid movement in the UK and has worked tirelessly to get fair treatment for racial minorities in the Criminal Justice system in the UK. But his interventions in the [...]

Continue reading...

Great article, but the format of all the articles here is so annoying, you scroll down to read it, then half way through you have to scroll all the way back up to read the rest. :balesnarl:
This is the internet not a broadsheet. Sort it out guys.

Just seeing his face on that article annoyed me :hudd:

Don't get me wrong, a lot of what he does, especially in non-football related matters, is very good. But he's going about his business within football all wrong. Seems like a self-promotion project to me.

Coldplay (when they were good) once sung "I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war, if you can tell me something worth fighting for"... I think he was probably inspired by that lyric. That, or he's just a self-publicising twat.

Perversely, racism is the wood that keeps Mr Herbert's fire burning. It's the wood that his soapbox is made of. It's the wood that he has built his whole career on. With out this wood he is just another lawyer.

Mr Herbert needs to put down his axe, stop cutting down the fucking trees and start planting seeds... man!

:nawty:

Racism and Anti-Semitism are two subtly different things...

Mr Herbert would do well to work out the difference, and cast his accusing stick elsewhere!

Racism and Anti-Semitism are two subtly different things...

Mr Herbert would do well to work out the difference, and cast his accusing stick elsewhere!

so subtly different that it turns out to be bollocks

Given the Jews are accepted as a race in their own right
any form of anti semitism would inherently be racist

I would suggest that you need to work out the fact that there is no difference, given that hatred of Jews because of who or what they are, is de facto, an act of racism in the shape of racial hatred.

so subtly different that it turns out to be bollocks

Given the Jews are accepted as a race in their own right
any form of anti semitism would inherently be racist

I would suggest that you need to work out the fact that there is no difference, given that hatred of Jews because of who or what they are, is de facto, an act of racism in the shape of racial hatred.

I do accept what you're saying (apart from the 'bollocks' bit) the subtle difference i'm talking about is based on Religion vs Race.
I think the point I was trying to make was that anyone of colour could be any number of religions, and could well change that religion at any point in their lifetime... however, they'll always be someone of colour, something they can't change, and would be targeted by yer 'run-of-the-mill' racist, regardless of their religion at the time.

Whereas Judaism, being a religion, you are born into - and of course can also change at any time (The fact there are black Jews merely confuses the issue!) I know i'm fudging the argument somewhat, but it's more to do with a racist targeting/disliking an aspect of someone that they can do nothing about.

A racist doing monkey chants based on someone's colour, and someone Zeig Heiling in 'support' of an atrocity against a religion/people (albeit a racist act) ARE slightly different - even if the person doing either is still an ignorant, racist/anti-Semitic prick...

The only reason i'm saying there is a subtle difference, is that, like it or not, there are probably plenty of people who hate black people, who possibly don't have an issue with Jews, and likewise, there must be plenty of Anti-Semites who couldn't give a fuck what colour someone is, it's the Jewish side of things they have a problem with.... oh, and Gypsies, and Homosexuals etc...

Whereas (if all far-right Nazis had their way) if you took it to it's extreme, then everyone would denounce Judaism, convert to something else, or turn straight, or even leave their travelling lifestyle behind, and there wouldn't be a problem any more! Yet the black community would still be disliked by any racist intent on disliking anyone of colour...
Thass all... I probably didn't explain it well compared to how water-tight my theory sounded in my head!!

I do accept what you're saying (apart from the 'bollocks' bit) the subtle difference i'm talking about is based on Religion vs Race.
I think the point I was trying to make was that anyone of colour could be any number of religions, and could well change that religion at any point in their lifetime... however, they'll always be someone of colour, something they can't change, and would be targeted by yer 'run-of-the-mill' racist, regardless of their religion at the time.

Whereas Judaism, being a religion, you are born into - and of course can also change at any time (The fact there are black Jews merely confuses the issue!) I know i'm fudging the argument somewhat, but it's more to do with a racist targeting/disliking an aspect of someone that they can do nothing about.

A racist doing monkey chants based on someone's colour, and someone Zeig Heiling in 'support' of an atrocity against a religion/people (albeit a racist act) ARE slightly different - even if the person doing either is still an ignorant, racist/anti-Semitic prick...

The only reason i'm saying there is a subtle difference, is that, like it or not, there are probably plenty of people who hate black people, who possibly don't have an issue with Jews, and likewise, there must be plenty of Anti-Semites who couldn't give a fuck what colour someone is, it's the Jewish side of things they have a problem with.... oh, and Gypsies, and Homosexuals etc...

Whereas (if all far-right Nazis had their way) if you took it to it's extreme, then everyone would denounce Judaism, convert to something else, or turn straight, or even leave their travelling lifestyle behind, and there wouldn't be a problem any more! Yet the black community would still be disliked by any racist intent on disliking anyone of colour...
Thass all... I probably didn't explain it well compared to how water-tight my theory sounded in my head!!
OK apologies for the use of bollocks, paste "its wrong"

Jews are accepted as being a race apart.
Therefore it is racist.

Which is why I disagreed

OK apologies for the use of bollocks, paste "its wrong"

Jews are accepted as being a race apart.
Therefore it is racist.

Which is why I disagreed

Fair enough... can't argue with logic!

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, I think we're all agreed, racists and anti-Semites are a class apart, and the lowest of the low... and regardless of WHO they hate, for WHATEVER nonsensical reason, I hope something very slow and painful happens to them one day, or at worst, to someone they love (if they're capable of such an emotion!)

Back
Top Bottom