Who should be our Captain?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who should be Tottenham Captain?

• Total voters
Hugo as captain until he leaves us, no doubt about that. Afterwards, Hojbjerg with a defender as vice-captain (wouldn't mind having Dier on the bench just as a speaking voice in the dressing room). Sonny seems too soft to be a captain. If Cuti Romero or someone that we bring in looks like a natural leader, I have no problem seeing them as vice-captain next season, presumably after Hugo leaves. As for our striker, the least we should do is strip him of the vice-captaincy.

Hugo Lloris hands down. he is our captain, and a great servant of the club. When he leaves I am sure there will be a worthy successor.

Sneaky suspicion Skipp will have the armband one day.

harry-winks.jpg
Who is that?

I‘ve always felt, bar Dino Zoff a captain should always be an outfield player.

They can lead by example. Both on the pitch and in training. Kane was de facto captain outfield for us but the arm band means something in the English game.

for Pierre is now that man.

Make Hugo club captain.

Voted Sissoko for the bantz, but I really don't think its a discussion. Its Hugo. PEH, maybe, after Hugo eventually leaves but I really think we're hoping for someone else to step to the fore. I like PEH, he's a leader, but I don't see him long term as a captain.

This season has to be Hugo - his last season with us he will give it everything - not sure if PEH is a captain, certainly not noted as one, however if he has the skill set he certainly has the drive ... next season?

This season has to be Hugo - his last season with us he will give it everything - not sure if PEH is a captain, certainly not noted as one, however if he has the skill set he certainly has the drive ... next season?
What makes you say he’s not noted as a captain?

He was made captain at Southampton aged 23.

Mourinho referred to him as a captain without an armband.

Athletic article that refers to him as a monster and emotional leader Hojbjerg: Denmark's midfield 'monster' and emotional leader

He’s consistently seen giving 100% on the pitch and motivating the players around him. Off the pitch he’s calm, assured, professional.

Seems like the perfect candidate in my eyes.

Last edited:
Hugo and Hojberg

Dier has the characteristics of a good captain, but he’s not consistent enough to be on the field as much as a « captain » needs to be.

What makes you say he’s not noted as a captain?

He was made captain at Southampton aged 23.

Zidane referred to him as a captain without an armband.

Athletic article that refers to him as a monster and emotional leader Hojbjerg: Denmark's midfield 'monster' and emotional leader

He’s consistently seen giving 100% on the pitch and motivating the players around him. Off the pitch he’s calm, assured, professional.

Seems like the perfect candidate in my eyes.

Maybe I worded that badly - he's not been noted at Spurs as a potential captain - watching him I think he would make an ideal captain but that sort of appointment needs to come from people on the ground - far too many clubs appoint captains based on the wrong criteria (Auba at Woolwich just awful)

If PeH has the respect of his teammates, and if he has the football brain to react appropriately on behalf of the team - then bring it on.

It should be PEH. I think it would be symbolic for this team moving forward from the last 2 disappointing seasons as Hugo is on the downside of his career, and PEH is what this team should represent with toughness and hard work.

Back
Top Bottom