Who's our best player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's our best player

• Kane

Votes: 149 63.9%
  • Dele

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • SON

Votes: 79 33.9%
  • Sisoko

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Vertogen

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Alderweireld

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Lloris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ericsson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Le celso

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Ndombele

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Aurier

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Dier

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Well, this thread is what happens when fans of such Sports Franchises as Ferrari, Roger Federer, Denver Broncos and Heung Min Son join what is, at least historically a Tottenham Ultras forum.

Don't understand the hate for so called 'fanboys' on this forum. More 'fanboys' supporting the Spurs --> more revenue for the club --> more $$ for bigger and better signings. Basic Sports Business 101. It's funny how people on this forum hate on 'fanboys' but they're the difference in terms of getting a team from being a local/regional team to being a global brand.

Years back, I remember walking into a Buffalo Wild Wings in a small suburb in the US asking the manager to switch one of the big screens to the Spurs game. No one knew who the Spurs were or why the game was on the big screen so I had to explain that there were two Americans on the team. Some of the customers became engaged because there were two Americans - Dempsey and Friedel. Hate on these so called 'fanboys' all you want but they make a difference to the team's bottom line in far more ways than you'd imagine.
I think it would help if you consider that for many Spurs fans, especially but not exclusively those based in and around London, Tottenham are not merely a profit making corporation or one of the many available forms of sports-related entertainment. Spurs are a vital part of family history and the community. Most of the long standing members here would still support the team after half a dozen relegations. With that in mind, it's a lot easier to contextualise why fans of individual players, who are ultimately temporary, are an alien concept to many.

I think it would help if you consider that for many Spurs fans, especially but not exclusively those based in and around London, Tottenham are not merely a profit making corporation or one of the many available forms of sports-related entertainment. Spurs are a vital part of family history and the community. Most of the long standing members here would still support the team after half a dozen relegations. With that in mind, it's a lot easier to contextualise why fans of individual players, who are ultimately temporary, are an alien concept to many.

Yes it's the same with all sports teams globally - every fan has local sports teams they support. However, you don't see the type hate the so-called 'fan boys' get from a few Spurs supporters on this thread. You also don't see people go way out of their way to protect one particular countrymen at all costs using ethnocentrism and racism against other supporters with valid opinions. You never see them coming in to protect any other player. It's quite amusing and funny how irrational they can be. Every time I post something I get my popcorn ready waiting for hilarious angry posts. :mourlmao:

Yes it's the same with all sports teams globally - every fan has local sports teams they support. However, you don't see the type hate the so-called 'fan boys' get from a few Spurs supporters on this thread. You also don't see people go way out of their way to protect one particular countrymen at all costs using ethnocentrism and racism against other supporters with valid opinions. You never see them coming in to protect any other player. It's quite amusing and funny how irrational they can be. Every time I post something I get my popcorn ready waiting for hilarious angry posts. :mourlmao:
"Every fan has 'sports' teams they support" suggest you haven't appreciated the point I was making, but that's OK, it doesn't really matter.

I've seen plenty of people coming on this forum to protect their countrymen at all costs, Son and Eriksen to mention just two. So I'm not sure where you've been looking.

As for the racism, if you could point out where that's happened, I'm sure that person will be taken to task.

Son isn't natural striker, Kane is. It doesn't mean we don't love Sonny any more or any less but there's a reason why Mourinho and Pochettino consistent played Kane as the striker and Son as a WF, really wish people would start realising why.

Son is a lovely player, we are so lucky to have him but Kane is top dog in the attacking department, all of the stats, value sites, managers past and present think so and the way we play requires more outs than just pace. Kane can head, hold the ball up, take the sting get out of play with a bought foul and he helps bring the qualities out in many around him. We are lucky to have Son but Son is lucky to have Kane. Doesn't make them any more or less valued by all who love the club.
So you are saying every center forward is better than every winger on the same team? The two positions have different roles that require different skill sets. Son makes a far better winger than Kane ever would. Kane is the better center forward. I would argue son is a better CF than Kane is a winger, but we will never find that out.

Kane has clearly had the better career so far. Who’s a better player currently is debatable.

So you are saying every center forward is better than every winger on the same team? The two positions have different roles that require different skill sets. Son makes a far better winger than Kane ever would. Kane is the better center forward. I would argue son is a better CF than Kane is a winger, but we will never find that out.

Kane has clearly had the better career so far. Who’s a better player currently is debatable.

It’s great that we’re able to debate these things.

I love Son. He’s my favourite player. However for me Kane is our talisman. The best pure striker on the planet.

As great as Son is, his position is comparable to Messi, so Son isn’t the best available in his position. Not that he has to be in order to be our best player, but for me Kane walks into every team on the planet. Son doesn’t.

It’s not just Kane’s goals either. His passing, crossing, and pressing is often brilliant. He’s a natural leader, a born winner, and has a footballing brain.

The fact that he’s a Spurs fan and youth product doesn’t hurt, but has nothing to do with his quality. That speaks for itself.

Who the best player was prior to 2018 is debatable between Harry and Eriksen.

Currently? I think this answers the question:

2018 Ballon'Dor Short List: Son, Hugo
2018 Spurs Player of the Year: Son
2018 London Footballer of the Year: Son
2018 Most MOTM Performances: Son
2019 Most MOTM Performances: Son
2019 Spurs Player of the Year: Probably Son as it currently stands

I understand Harry was unfit/injured for a chunk of last season but it's part of the game.

Who the best player was prior to 2018 is debatable between Harry and Eriksen.

Currently? I think this answers the question:

2018 Ballon'Dor Short List: Son, Hugo
2018 Spurs Player of the Year: Son
2018 London Footballer of the Year: Son
2018 Most MOTM Performances: Son
2019 Most MOTM Performances: Son
2019 Spurs Player of the Year: Probably Son as it currently stands

I understand Harry was unfit/injured for a chunk of last season but it's part of the game.

Personally if I had to choose one or the other as to who to keep and who I'd sell if I genuinely had no other choice but one or the other..... I'm keeping Harry.

Sonny is a top player but Kane is Kane and top strikers are far harder to come by than top WFs. Harry is Mr Tottenham and he'll go onto smash all sorts of records. Team Kane right here.

Back
Top Bottom