Whose fault is this goal?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would say that Aurier, Dier and Davies are all at fault.

Not sure I like giving Dier a pass when he is marking nobody and doesn't notice the guy standing right behind him in the spot he is responsible for covering. That also ignores the fact that if he is not covering that man then there is no reason that he would not stop the pass from coming out in front of the net.

Like all 3 goals today what you see is a lot of blue shirts in the box covering nobody which is a problem.

To me Davies and Aurier are most at fault for this one.
The goalscorer is in Dier's blindspot- Ben should have anticipated this, stepped in, and cut off the passing lane.

For the third goal, Son not tracking back, and Dav letting Mc-whatever to get in front of him, were absolutely abysmal.

This clip doesn't tell the whole picture, Sissoko twice in this move allows players to run off him, whilst he's literally standing around day dreaming.

Sissoko makes the worst mistake because he not even in a defensive posture, he’s not doing anything. He’s just waiting for his defenders to deal with it and isn’t even trying to help until he sees the ball heading in.

Sissoko makes the worst mistake because he not even in a defensive posture, he’s not doing anything. He’s just waiting for his defenders to deal with it and isn’t even trying to help until he sees the ball heading in.
The Moose was taken off injured a couple of minutes after the goal.
Sanchez is supposed to be marking Mousset but he didn't fancy it.
He is on the missing list out on the right and makes a piss poor challenge.

The Moose was taken off injured a couple of minutes after the goal.
Sanchez is supposed to be marking Mousset but he didn't fancy it.
He is on the missing list out on the right and makes a piss poor challenge.
The Moose as you call him is one of least talented players I have ever seen in a Spurs shirt

In my opinion: Aurier, Sanchez and Sissoko. Their mess exposed Dier and Davies - both reacted badly, especially Dier, but I don't blame them for the goal.

Notice that Sissoko's mistake in the second goal and Ndombele's mistake in the third were very similar. Both failed to offer minimal protection to the defence. Sissoko was supposed to do exactly that as a number 6, while Ndombele had just came in and should've done much better tracking back.

Sissoko was already out of position in their first goal. He was dragged to the right, leaving a huge space just in front of the back four.

Last edited:
we tell kids learning football to be goalside when defending, stay with your man, the basic's
its Dier's fault, he only looks to the left side not his right (goalside)
STAY WITH YOUR MAN its that simple for a centre half

I can tell you right now that if Aurier got into that position to roll the ball across for the forward to finish, Aurier would have blasted the ball and it would have shot across the area and out for a throw in on the far side

Fair play to Sheff Utd, those players played it simple and scored an easy goal. We made it easy for them but they kept their heads and took advantage for the goal

Back
Top Bottom