Wig On @ home

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WIGAN (H): TEAM NEWS

Posted 01 November 2012 4:05pm
Emmanuel Adebayor returns to the squad but Mousa Dembele misses out with injury for Saturday's Premier League fixture against Wigan.
"We are waiting for information on Jake Livermore, hopefully he'll feel better from the knock that he got against Norwich," Head Coach Andre Villas-Boas told Spurs TV on Thursday.

"Mousa will have further information on his injury today, so he will be out of the game. Ade has made a good return - he trained today - so he will be available for selection. Naughton and Mason are both back.

"So it's positives and negatives for sure, but we have 25 players who want to do well."

With this in mind, I'd go for:

Lloris
Walker Caulker Verts Naughton
Lennon Sandro Thudd Bale
Defoe Ade

Simple 442 ... plus we can bring on Dempsey, Siggs, or Falque if needed

I like that a lot. Especially the inclusion of :lloris:.

It's (past) time.

13981d1349491649-has-arrived-holy-grail-636-dumb-dumber-i-like-alot.gif

Here's some things I am concerned about... :gallashmm:

First of all, I know that AVB is trying his best to keep winning. He's just trying to play it safe but the fact is that he shouldn't always bring on a defensive player when we are in the lead. So many times, we saw that Spurs tend to concede. It's simple that AVB's trying to win everybody including us, but AVB should remember that small things like that catch the eye.

Secondly, (so far - but who knows later), I am not a big fan of starting the attack, from all away in the back. Our defense keeps so much of the ball and at times it seems, that it's the defense who are trying to start something and not the midfield. Our midfield should retain the ball so much more than our defense. Last season, when Modric was here, we were brilliant in that aspect. Everything started from the midfield and the defense only did their jobs and provided an outlet to the midfield.

Lastly, Dempsey and Siggy ... Tisk Tisk. :dempsey:
They really need to step on the gas pedal soon. Yes, I know it's early but what about Verts and Dembele. I could give some slack to Siggy, for being so young, etc. But Dempsey ... he should do better, for a player of his experience. I was very pissed when we sold VDV and got Dempsey. The mere fact is that in Fulham, Dempsey was around a team of very mediocre players (no disrespect) and here at spurs, he around players of world class caliber. I hope he starts to click soon.
(I am not slamming him for missing that penalty because I understand how much pressure is on)

On the bright side, we have 2 really good players coming through: Carroll and Falque. I was very impressed with Falque ... so glad we got him from Juve. Sherwood etc. surely saw something in him. I just love how he plays. He has a good eye for a pass and I really like how much that he loves to have a go at the opposition and not cut outside or bypass them. I mean, he could be out little VDV.
Edit: Nah ... VDV is VDV, irreplaceable ... miss him.

Oh well, I really want AVB to succeed here ... I just have that feeling. COYS! :avblol:

We lost away to Norwich because of 2 flukey goals. (In the league cup)

calm your vaginas

Agreed. There's plenty of talent in our squad, good enough to make the top four anyway. If not this season then next. Villas Boas has some weird methods but he's desperate to win games. Once he's been here longer and stopped being so scared of losing (and who can blame him, the reception most of our fans gave him after drawing two home games), then he'll relax a bit with the 'defend the lead' shit.

In principle it's not exactly a dumb thing anyway, he just takes it too far. He'll learn IMO.

Er, oh yeah, Wigan. 6-0.

I'd rather see Falque left on the bench, come on after 60 mins maybe. Not because he doesn't deserve to start, more that I'd like to see positive, offensive substitutions to keep the team moving forward. Something seemed to happen against Norwich, they didn't start playing any better, we just stood off them a little when Verts came on. I think that psychologically, putting a defender on in midfield played a part in that.

Not hating on AVB at all and might be talking bollocks. I just want us to have the confidence to push teams back in the latter stages of games rather than retreating ourselves, there really is no need for it 'cos I think we have a pretty good first 11 and with the return of a few injured parties a strong enough squad.

:avbwtf:

I still have high hopes for Siggy in the No.10 role but I'm very, very intriguing to see what job Falque can do for us now. It's very much like we've got a young, fresh-legged Rafa clone ready to start bedding in to our first team.

Strange, this article is decidedly more upbeat about Dembele.

Telegraph said:
Spurs upbeat over Dembele injury

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas hopes midfielder Mousa Dembele does not need hip surgery that would rule him out for six weeks.
Dembele quickly become a fans' favourite at White Hart Lane following his deadline day move from Fulham, but Tottenham have had to do without the playmaker for the last four games after he aggravated a hip injury while on international duty with Belgium.
The 25-year-old struggled with the problem while at Fulham, and initial scans on the area failed to detect whether he had seriously aggravated the injury while playing against Scotland. "We want to avoid surgery if we can," Villas-Boas said. "If there happens to be surgery I think we are looking for one month, one month and a half."
He added: "Hopefully that will not happen because we have some good indications the player will be back in one week or two weeks.
"It's a pain that goes away or happened to go away when he was at Fulham for two or three days and the pain went away but it is still there. He can't move himself properly so he will have a deeper scan on the injury so we can assess it properly."
Although Tottenham have moved up to fourth in the Barclays Premier League despite Dembele's absence, Villas-Boas could do with the former AZ Alkmaar man back soon as he faces up to a tough run of matches following Saturday's home game against Wigan.
Spurs failed to follow up their win over Southampton with another victory on Wednesday night when they were knocked out of the Capital One Cup by Norwich.
One of the main talking points from the 2-1 defeat was the team's late penalty, which came about after Kyle Walker went down under the challenge of Marc Tierney. Tierney said he did not touch Walker and Canaries boss Chris Hughton said the England right-back "made a meal" of the challenge.
Having grown up on a council estate in Sheffield, Walker took umbrage at Hughton's suggestion he went down too easily.
"I'm from up north. I'm not going to go down softly," Walker told Press Association Sport at an event to publicise the Topps Match Attax Tour. "I thought I got a clip so I went down. It was a foul. The referee has awarded a penalty, or the linesman did. They were close enough to see it. If I felt I was touched then I am going to go down. That's it."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/spurs-upbeat-over-dembele-injury-16233005.html#ixzz2B1KjDleW

Funny about Walker. It was definitely a dive, but it was definitely a penalty in my book, as well. I think a lot of people feel that it can only be one or the other, but to me that was a reckless challenge that Walker got the luck of the draw on, but chose to go down.

Back
Top Bottom