Wig On @ home

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andre Villas-Boas explains why he took Sandro off against Wigan

Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas revealed that he took Sandro off as a precaution.

The Brazilian was replaced by Gylfi Sigurdsson midway through the first half against Wigan as Spurs went on to lose 1-0 to the Latics.

“He felt the muscle nearly rupture so he didn’t want to take any more risks,” Villas-Boas said. “It was a wise decision.

If it had ruptured he would have been out for a month so I think he felt it getting tight and asked for the change and I think in the end.

“He had felt it before Southampton.”

Ignore that bit of the post then, hopefully he'll be back for the weekend then! Which might make it easier to play a straight out 4-4-2, I'd still want Ade/JD alternating on tucking back to create a man more or equal number in there when defending.

I hated Wigan for a while after they beat us at the Lane a couple of years ago, such a dire game. But in truth, then as now, we had ourselves to blame. Now I think good luck to them.

Are you sure about that?

Personally, the thought of coming so far from the early 2000's teams and the days of genuinely wondering if we'd ever beat Liverpool, arse, Chelsea or Utd in our lifetimes, to the the party years of Jol, to the CL run in under 10yrs was a real achievement for the club.

Going backwards now, and the subsequent fall out in the papers, and from Scum and Chelsea fans, along with ANOTHER manager sacked would be incomparably devastating to a few cunts turning up at WHL.

i hate modern football, unfortunately, 'the only way is backwards'.

He says "We".......he shoulders his share of the responsibility........he actually points to areas where we can improve instead of just saying it "was one of those days"..........

'WE WEREN'T OURSELVES' - ANDRE

Posted 03 November 2012 9:46pm
Andre Villas-Boas couldn't hide his disappointment after Saturday's 1-0 home loss against Wigan in the Premier League.
Ben Watson’s goal in the 56th minute secured the points for the visitors.

As Andre explained, the lads simply couldn’t get going against a Wigan system that stopped us playing out from the back and then stifled any room once we got into the final third.

There were no shortage of efforts on goal - 13 in total - but few clear-cut chances. The closest we came was when Steven Caulker’s header was cleared off the line by James McCarthy in the second half.

Otherwise, it was shots from distance that didn’t overly trouble Ali Al Habsi in the Wigan goal, his best save to hold onto Jan Vertonghen’s spectacular volley in the first half.

“It was extremely disappointing for everybody,” conceded Andre. “We just weren’t ourselves.

“We couldn’t find our rhythm and couldn’t find our passing. We had a bad day at the office.

“It was difficult for us from the beginning to keep the ball, to make any kind of clear opportunity and we made mistakes. We have to improve for the next game.”

There was also praise for a Wigan side that forced a couple of fine saves from Brad Friedel in the first half.

“It’s a team that play in a system that’s different to most other teams,” he added. “We had difficulties setting up against them and putting them under pressure.

“In situations like this, you have to credit to your opponent.”

“It’s a team that play in a system that’s different to most other teams,” he added. “We had difficulties setting up against them and putting them under pressure.

“In situations like this, you have to credit to your opponent.”
THis comment bothers me a little bit. Aren't his 4 million page dossiers supposedto be all about anticipating and adapting to the style each side plays?

Dunno why there is much outrage at taking Defoe off for Ade. Defoe was completely ineffective for the whole game. Playing a 4-4-2 doesn't automatically mean you get more chances, Redknapp used to get slated for going 4-4-2.

Having an effective loan striker pulls your attacking midfielders into the game. The reaction from our fans was so over the top. Makes me ashamed to get tarred with the same brush.

Dunno why there is much outrage at taking Defoe off for Ade. Defoe was completely ineffective for the whole game. Playing a 4-4-2 doesn't automatically mean you get more chances, Redknapp used to get slated for going 4-4-2.

Having an effective loan striker pulls your attacking midfielders into the game. The reaction from our fans was so over the top. Makes me ashamed to get tarred with the same brush.
The problem is that our attacking midfielders, namely Siggs and Dempsey are proving ineffectual. The fans know that Ade and Defoe can work together, but so far Defoe (or Ade as a sub) has proved not particularly effective with Dempsey or Siggs. Defoe, as a poacher, needs assists. If he doesn't get them from Siggs or Dempsey then surely it is logical for him to play alongside a player than we know has a good assist record?

so, we're back to systems, well, he played defoe in a system that doesnt suit him and then replaced him with adebayour but didnt change the system, with exactly the same result. defoe has given his all even though he has never in his career been a lone striker.
to be out thought by martinez and out played by wigan at home is not a good sign, if it were a one off i'd treat it as such, but norwich were also better than us and at least worth a point and southampton deserved a point from their second half performance.

The most disappointing element of our poor home form is the fact that the fans also have to shoulder some responsibility. The game on Saturday seemed to be played in front of a group of people anticipating the worst.

Far from saying we shouldn't have the right to voice concerns, of course we do, it is how and when, and Saturday just seemed to me to be a time to get behind the team and that failed to materialise.

the atmosphere at arseanal, man utd and chelsea for most games is shit, yet they consistently finish top four and/or win trophies. please can someone tell me how our fans are really at fault ?
stoke has one of the best atmospheres around, as has newcastle.
blaming our fans, when your one of them is beyond belief.
im a big fan of the 1882 movement and fully support its ideals but players and managers dont need motivation from the crowd. i've been at games where the crowd were brilliant and the team played shit and i've been at games where the crowd were quiet but we played superb.
stop blaming the support, without it we wouldnt exist, if you think its shit, then your part of the problem.

I think there's a difference between a quiet crowd and a crowd that boo's their own.

If you were a young player, such as Carroll, and you had the ball in the middle of the park, you know the fans aren't impressed so far, the atmosphere is tense...do you risk antagonising them further by trying an ambitious pass that might not come off, or do you go safe and square so as not to incur the wrath of 30,000?

The last thing we need to do is put more pressure on our players. Maybe the players don't need motivation from the crowd, but it does help.

There's meant to be an advantage to playing at home, and away games are thus deemed to be harder....if this isn't because of the support, why is playing at home considered an advantage?

On the other hand, the fans weren't booing from the kick off were they? They were booing when they (and all of us) witnessed a whole 45mins of pure shit. Fans obviously want players to know that wasn't good enough, just as i'm sure any manager would at halftime behind closed doors.

Do you not think that its unfair to Blame Defoe for being ineffective when he was supplied with so little ball? He seemed to be running his arse off looking for it, and yet I remember 2 or 3 occasions where balls to him were intercepted and wasted by Dempsey.

Defoe has shown this season that he has the energy and desire to go looking for the ball, I'm sure that in a 442 he could be coached to drop back and supplement the midfield when the opposition start to gain some possessional supremacy.

In a moment of terminal boredom I watched Dorchester v Plymouth yesterday, I heard much more noise than I did in the Wigan game. I watched our game on a feed that had no commentary as well, so any crowd noise was heard quite clearly, as was the calling of the players and coaching staff.

I think I actually heard a toilet flush in the first half.

Booing at half time or full time is poor but far more understandable than booing a substitution.

I was embarrassed and ashamed to be a Spurs fan on Saturday for pretty much the first time ever........we've become everything that we used to mock Woolwich fans for being - the one thing we had over them during years of mediocrity was that we could be proud of our unflinching support of the team, that's gone now and can never fully be restored.

In a moment of terminal boredom I watched Dorchester v Plymouth yesterday, I heard much more noise than I did in the Wigan game. I watched our game on a feed that had no commentary as well, so any crowd noise was heard quite clearly, as was the calling of the players and coaching staff.

I think I actually heard a toilet flush in the first half.

I watched that stream for a bit and switched to another where the crowd noise was A LOT more noticeable. Audio levels on recordings dont help sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom