Wigan Athletic in administration

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rick Parry has had a mare since taking over as EFL chair. However Wigan have always needed an owner with deep pockets willing to plough in their own money ie Dave Whelan. With an average 9,000 home crowd it's a problem. Still sad for the supporters and hopefully something can be done.

Remember being at DW once for Defoe's second debut around 2009? Got beat 1 nil shit game, freezing and it took me an hour getting out of car park afterwards. Fuck them.

Shit club that belongs in League 2... but the allegations around their latest financial demise are pretty shocking. If remotely true, I feel for their fans.

It’s starting to look like the previous owners (IEC) staged the sale in order to take the club and its massive losses off their books. They fiddled with finances to make the ‘buyer’ (Next Leader Fund which probably only exists on paper) seem solvent on paper in order to satisfy the EFL (who only require proof of funds, they don’t need to see proof of payment). Their vetting process is shit so they approved it.

Then the club is put into administration immediately - IEC are probably banking on the fact that nothing can fall on them because it was stamped, approved and made legal by the morons at the EFL.

Last edited:
Great initiative, I hope that works.
Best option IMO.

Probably wouldn't have gone down well a year or two ago but the realities are that arguably both will benefit out of this.

Wigan Warriors are about as big as you can get in the tight shorted version of egg-chasing and if Wigan get it right (there wasn't too much wrong with what they were doing aside from the criminal activity of the owners) there is an outside chance they might yo-yo into PL again and with a worldwide audience that should interest the egg chasers for co-branding etc. But even if they remain in Championship (or back up if this shitstorm means they have to take the points deduction) a potential sponsor would see a greater benefit in having their brand hedged across two sports might be attractive.

Wasn't long ago when Dave Whelan owned both clubs. He then ditched the warriors to put the money in the football instead. TBH I can't wait for the rugby league to restart albeit a different format due to restrictions. There are already 3 northern clubs in trouble up here . We can't have a fourth. These Chinese consortiums are corrupt as they come.

Back
Top Bottom