Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Makes me laugh how we lose a final to one of the best and most expensive teams in history and SSN banner says Spurs now go 14 years without a trophy.

Do they say Wet Sham have gone 41 years when they fail to win one?
Do they say Newcastle have gone over 50 years now without one?
Aston Villa and Everton 25+ years
Sheffield United 95 fucking years
Palace Fulham and Brighton have never won a cup at all. Ever.
I kind of agree to an extent, but then I think we might just be making excuses.
The counter arguments would be - in no particular order
* We are among the 10 "richest" clubs in the world the other clubs you mention aren't
* In the last few years we've had players like Kane, Son, Jan, Toby, Dembele, Walker, Rose, Eriksen. More than enough to win a trophy, those other clubs haven't had squads like that
* We've finished 2nd, 3rd and a handful of 4th's plus a few finals, semi-finals in that time you would expect something to stick
* Our prices are amongst the most expensive in the world, so I feel our fans can feel entitled to seeing us win one of these domestic cups at the very least given all of the above and the fact that the big guns don't prioritise them as much.

All told we should have won something in the last 10 years. The fact that we haven't and our team is only going to get worse/older from here I just feel like - If not then? when? and how?

I agree I don’t think it would be a catastrophe to be out of European competition for 1 season if we gave the reigns to Graham Potter our sole focus would be on the league and hopefully have good cup runs in both FA and League Cup.
yeah, we have not yet played one of the veterans like sevilla or atletico in europa, things would be ugly against those as the players are just not interested.
Champions league is different because just taking part is so good to watch and players are more motivated when qualified for that.
The league is dead, city and chelsea still have infinite funding from money hijacked from abroad while at the same time other clubs struggle to buy any player, the gap is even worse than before.
The next years will be very difficult, i think a lucky run in the fa cup is most we can dream of.

The point your missing is that before ENIC we were part of the 10% who regularly did win something.
The world has changed a lot since then. Its worth keeping in mind. The reality is that today <5% of clubs win anything. And shrinking.

Our best real shot I think is the Europa next time we're in it. We'll have no choice but to prioritise it, as it'll be our only opportunity to get in the CL.

Last edited:
Yes, we will win a trophy again - big caveat - IF ENIC fuck off.

Might be the league cup or an ECL trophy but we will.

Whether that's in my lifetime or not remains to be seen :(

FA or league, yes. At some point. If Ten Hag comes in and gets us up to Poch levels of fitness then no reason not to achieve this sooner rather than later.

PL? Unless a stupidly rich, generous person with an ego that demands nothing less than top spot takes over then no. Levy and ENIC have already made it clear they're fine with top 4.

I don't believe in curses or any of that voodoo hoodoo nonsense. Recent events have finally swung me round to believing that we're not achieving largely because our owners lack genuine ambition beyond the cold world of business. They pasted To Dare is to Do all over the place without actually believing it. While they're in charge, we wont break through the glass ceiling.

We don't deserve to win another trophy unless an oil rich billionaire buys the club, pumps hundreds of millions in to players, and start paying disproportionate salaries.

Only then could we ever be worthy of winning another trophy.

i think we need to stay out of the europa league, it;s such a drain on resources for other competitions, it would be great to focus on fa cup, it's been great the last few runs,

We're not gonna win the Ropey league and the demands if it are too much of a burden on the league and the domestic cups.
Vicious cycle.
Top 4 top priority. This clubs has to be eating at the top table to continue.
Once that's secured then focus on adding a domestic cup.
The only time we wanna be in the Ropey league is if we drop our of the CL, not through qualifiers against fucking plovdiv in July
'Ropey' or not, I still wouldn't mind going into the SF 2nd Leg next week with a great chance of making the final....

It's not only a much sought after trophy, it's a route to the 'all important' CL 'Top table!'
Yes, there are 'inconvenientl' matches on as Thursday that seem to really irritate people..mm but fuck me, those games are, or SHOULD be a lot more winnable than ones against all but a handful of PL opposition!

Getting 4th Via the league has poved WAY more of an ask!

I dunno what people want... a competition which could provide an easier route (by way of opposition) to a trophy, or to moan about all the Cup competitions we're somehow 'above' yet have still failed to win for 13 years and counting!

Back
Top Bottom