Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are paying the most expensive prices in the premier league. We are not some team from some backwater rural town.
The club always won trophies in the past, every decade in fact until ENIC took over.

Demand more from your club rather than accepting mediocrity
My point is that 90% of all clubs don’t win anything.
Some leagues are entirely a one club league.
The rest of the league doesn’t just shut up shop.
Football is a funny game, Saint. It relies on your business rivals keeping you viable.

I supported Spurs when they were relegated.
For me, nothing changes if we win something or otherwise.

Won't happen under ENIC because winning silverware is fundamentally not a priority for them. They likely care about getting the top 4 money coming back in to the club and maintaining a profile, but not making that push to be winners of anything. Even if we manage to get a promising side again they'll just refuse to take that final step as long as said side is up there.

I take the 9th richest club with a pinch of salt especially as 5 of the richer clubs play in the same league and a couple of those are richer by an order of magnitude.
The dominant club In Moldova isn’t in the top 500 probably but wins things regularly. A lot depends on the competition.
I’m not trying to excuse the fact that we are poorly run and are basically a third rate operation with first rate infrastructure

Dynamic of winning trophies has changed somewhat with the downgrading of domestic Cup competitions. Clubs largely field reserve teams and Citeh and Chavs mostly have been hoovering up Cups for years.

I know it’s pretty bad, that by the time we next have a chance to win something, it’s a 15 year wait back to 2008.

We’re not alone mind you. In terms of top flight honours Everton haven’t won since 1995, Aston Villa since 1996, Leeds 1992, Spammers 1980, Wolves 1980, Newcastle 1969.

If Man U don’t win the European Cup this season, you’re going back to 9 years between 1968 European Cup and 1977 FA Cup to find a longer trophy drought.

It’s not that long ago since Wenger had something like a 9 year trophy drought with Woolwich.

Mind you, what’s a bit demoralising last few years is, I think we have gone fairly hard to win a Cup to break the drought and demoralising defeat has been our lot. When we had a side strong enough to win something under Pochettino for a few seasons, we didn’t seem to invest very much in domestic Cups.

Struggling to create anything and we play 7 defense minded players.

I get playing it against the likes of City, but other than that it can fuck off.

I fucking HATE 3 at the back.

Good point, though I thought he was ok there in a back 3 (which I hate)

and I hate 3 at the back

I'm not happy. I fucking HATE 3 at the back

I hate 3 at the back. I might have mentioned it once, think I got away with it.

I've been thinking about this 3 at the back, which I hate.
7pm: Team sheet. "I FUCKING HATE 3 AT THE BACK

Now you know why I fucking HATE 3 atb.

Hampers our all ready limited creativity and we still can't defend with 5 defenders and 2 DMs, if you could call them that.
2) I hate 3 at the back.

Carry on.

I fucking hate 3 at the back.

Last-word syndrome got you by the balls has it? .......I thought you weren't "invested enough"?

Stop tagging me - You're making a mocker if yourself....
Sorry I couldn't be arsed to draw up a list for you to back up my audacious claim that some mid-table clubs have made signings that would have improved us, OMG WHAT KIND OF MONSTER AM I?!?!

Might have done it if responding to you're fucking half a billion bullet points hadn't already taken long enough...

Yes we will.... 14 years is bad but it’s going to be 27 for Villa and Everton. 30 for Leeds. 41 for West Ham. 53 for Newcastle.
I'm sure they all thought the same thing when their dry spell was at 14, as well!

Our best bet at a major trophy has always been the EL and we've almost always fucking dogged it. Should have won it several times over now, but we're "too good" for it.

At HT last night I assumed that Man U and Goons were both out, based on what our lot of quitters would have done in the second half.

No way would we have done what Man U managed and we couldn’t even get the single away goal we needed in the last round against a crap team with their manager in jail. We didn’t even try ffs.

The Goons didn’t give up at 0-2 and are in with a chance. Anyone else think that we would have been more likely to lose 0-3 than 1-2 in that match?
Re: this current crop, yes.

This lot (with some exceptions) have NO bollocks, NO fight, NO desire, nothing.

Under Redknapp, we had some good comebacks.
Under Poch, loads (didn't we win the most points from losing positions one season?).
Initially under Mourinho, going behind wasn't death, but this season... Soton and United at OT. That's it.

Under levy and Enic we won’t
logical star trek GIF

What's really staggering is that the 9th richest club on the planet has won just 1 relatively minor trophy in a quarter of a century, and nothing at all in a decade and a half.
Why is that? Probably, because as ENIC themselves have confirmed, they only chose to become involved in football to milk it's global popularity. Trophies are of little, if any interest to them.

Yes, of course, we all want Spurs to win trophies, and winning, say, the League Cup is better than no trophies... but who really cares that much about the domestic cups anymore? Who remembers the teams in the last 10 FA Cup and League Cup finals?
The Cups are no longer what they used to be. There have even been calls for scrapping the League Cup as it lost its prestige a long time ago.
What matters now is the CL and EPL title and qualifying for the CL. That's where the big money lies and that is also where the main attention of players is.
Players have turned Spurs down because they're not in the CL, meaning the CL is a prime attraction for other players...while I have never heard recently any player citing the FA Cup or League being the reason they joined Spurs or any other English club.

Back
Top Bottom