Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At HT last night I assumed that Man U and Goons were both out, based on what our lot of quitters would have done in the second half.

No way would we have done what Man U managed and we couldn’t even get the single away goal we needed in the last round against a crap team with their manager in jail. We didn’t even try ffs.

The Goons didn’t give up at 0-2 and are in with a chance. Anyone else think that we would have been more likely to lose 0-3 than 1-2 in that match?

Last edited:
At HT last night I assumed that Man U and Goons were both out, based on what our lot of quitters would have done in the second half.

No way would we have done what Man U managed and we couldn’t even get the single away goal we needed in the last round against a crap team with their manager in jail. We didn’t even try ffs.

The Goons didn’t give up at 0-2 and are in with a chance. Anyone else think that we would have been more likely to lose 0-3 than 1-2 in that match?
Re: this current crop, yes.

This lot (with some exceptions) have NO bollocks, NO fight, NO desire, nothing.

Under Redknapp, we had some good comebacks.
Under Poch, loads (didn't we win the most points from losing positions one season?).
Initially under Mourinho, going behind wasn't death, but this season... Soton and United at OT. That's it.

i think we need to stay out of the europa league, it;s such a drain on resources for other competitions, it would be great to focus on fa cup, it's been great the last few runs,

i think we need to stay out of the europa league, it;s such a drain on resources for other competitions, it would be great to focus on fa cup, it's been great the last few runs,
I agree I don’t think it would be a catastrophe to be out of European competition for 1 season if we gave the reigns to Graham Potter our sole focus would be on the league and hopefully have good cup runs in both FA and League Cup.

I agree I don’t think it would be a catastrophe to be out of European competition for 1 season if we gave the reigns to Graham Potter our sole focus would be on the league and hopefully have good cup runs in both FA and League Cup.
yeah, we have not yet played one of the veterans like sevilla or atletico in europa, things would be ugly against those as the players are just not interested.
Champions league is different because just taking part is so good to watch and players are more motivated when qualified for that.
The league is dead, city and chelsea still have infinite funding from money hijacked from abroad while at the same time other clubs struggle to buy any player, the gap is even worse than before.
The next years will be very difficult, i think a lucky run in the fa cup is most we can dream of.

yeah, we have not yet played one of the veterans like sevilla or atletico in europa, things would be ugly against those as the players are just not interested.
Champions league is different because just taking part is so good to watch and players are more motivated when qualified for that.
The league is dead, city and chelsea still have infinite funding from money hijacked from abroad while at the same time other clubs struggle to buy any player, the gap is even worse than before.
The next years will be very difficult, i think a lucky run in the fa cup is most we can dream of.
I also think it would be much easier to rebuild a squad when there isn’t any European competition to play in.

Most of the big egos in the current first team would demand European football as a minimum and would use it as a get out clause allowing us to part ways with the bad apples

We could then in turn increase playing time for the likes of Rodon, Sessagnon, Tanganga, Skipp, Devine Parrott whilst installing hunger and desire and team spirit to make us a formidable opponent blended with new signings and a few of the old Guard ( Lloris, Kane,Son, Dier)

I think if the right manager comes in mainly Graham Potter it will be an easy sell to the likes of Kane and Son to stay for another season provided he can explain his vision clearly and starts improving from day one which I’m certain he can.

Last edited:
I also think it would be much easier to rebuild a squad when there isn’t any European competition to play in.

Most of the big egos in the current first team would demand European football as a minimum and would use it as a get out clause allowing us to part ways with the bad apples

We could then in turn increase playing time for the likes of Rodon, Sessagnon, Tanganga, Skipp, Devine Parrott whilst installing hunger and desire and team spirit to make us a formidable opponent blended with new signings and a few of the old Guard ( Lloris, Kane,Son, Dier)

I think if the right manager comes in mainly Graham Potter it will be an easy sell to the likes of Kane and Son to stay for another season provided he can explain his vision clearly and starts improving from day one which I’m certain he can.
I agree with a lot of what you say but Kane and Son are moving on so whoever comes in has to deal with that. Why do you think no-one wants the job ?
It's like following Ferguson at United - fairly impossible.

Last edited:
Makes me laugh how we lose a final to one of the best and most expensive teams in history and SSN banner says Spurs now go 14 years without a trophy.

Do they say Wet Sham have gone 41 years when they fail to win one?
Do they say Newcastle have gone over 50 years now without one?
Aston Villa and Everton 25+ years
Sheffield United 95 fucking years
Palace Fulham and Brighton have never won a cup at all. Ever.
So comparing us to the top 6 again !

All's Levy is interested is top 4. No decent manager will work for him as he is a megalomaniac who expects to shop in Harrods with an Aldi budget.
Never going to happen.
Wow, I managed to get through that without calling him a cunt.

It's funny.... in a thread about 'Will we ever win a trophy again' people don't want us in Europe... and 'Top 4' isn't a Trophy... whereas many regard the League Cup as 'Micky Mouse'.... the Premier League is out of the question if Kane/Son leave and someone like Potter comes in... so that leaves us with what...? The FA Cup, which is 50% luck of the draw!!

No wonder we're not gonna win owt with all our eggs in one little basket!!

It's funny.... in a thread about 'Will we ever win a trophy again' people don't want us in Europe... and 'Top 4' isn't a Trophy... whereas many regard the League Cup as 'Micky Mouse'.... the Premier League is out of the question if Kane/Son leave and someone like Potter comes in... so that leaves us with what...? The FA Cup, which is 50% luck of the draw!!

No wonder we're not gonna win owt with all our eggs in one little basket!!
We're not gonna win the Ropey league and the demands if it are too much of a burden on the league and the domestic cups.
Vicious cycle.
Top 4 top priority. This clubs has to be eating at the top table to continue.
Once that's secured then focus on adding a domestic cup.
The only time we wanna be in the Ropey league is if we drop our of the CL, not through qualifiers against fucking plovdiv in July

We're not gonna win the Ropey league and the demands if it are too much of a burden on the league and the domestic cups.
Vicious cycle.
Top 4 top priority. This clubs has to be eating at the top table to continue.
Once that's secured then focus on adding a domestic cup.
The only time we wanna be in the Ropey league is if we drop our of the CL, not through qualifiers against fucking plovdiv in July
'Ropey' or not, I still wouldn't mind going into the SF 2nd Leg next week with a great chance of making the final....

It's not only a much sought after trophy, it's a route to the 'all important' CL 'Top table!'
Yes, there are 'inconvenientl' matches on as Thursday that seem to really irritate people..mm but fuck me, those games are, or SHOULD be a lot more winnable than ones against all but a handful of PL opposition!

Getting 4th Via the league has poved WAY more of an ask!

I dunno what people want... a competition which could provide an easier route (by way of opposition) to a trophy, or to moan about all the Cup competitions we're somehow 'above' yet have still failed to win for 13 years and counting!

'Ropey' or not, I still wouldn't mind going into the SF 2nd Leg next week with a great chance of making the final....

It's not only a much sought after trophy, it's a route to the 'all important' CL 'Top table!'
Yes, there are 'inconvenientl' matches on as Thursday that seem to really irritate people..mm but fuck me, those games are, or SHOULD be a lot more winnable than ones against all but a handful of PL opposition!

Getting 4th Via the league has poved WAY more of an ask!

I dunno what people want... a competition which could provide an easier route (by way of opposition) to a trophy, or to moan about all the Cup competitions we're somehow 'above' yet have still failed to win for 13 years and counting!

But we won't.
We've had far more years in that than the CL and yet we made it all the way to the CL final. We've not got past the 1/4 final stage in the ropey league since we became regulars in the mid 00s
It's a burden. Our league form is always better when we're out too.

But we won't.
We've had far more years in that than the CL and yet we made it all the way to the CL final. We've not got past the 1/4 final stage in the ropey league since we became regulars in the mid 00s

It's a burden. Our league form is always better when we're out too.
...but that's cos we weren't (and have never) really taken it seriously since we've been in it! (In 'modern times'... not talking about the '70s or '80s when it was deemed a Cup worth winning.... which we did!)

That said, it's only since we WEREN'T in it during the recent CL years that they decided to change it to winning = CL qualification... and THAT was only 'cos their little darlings like Man Utd & AraeAnal weren't qualifying regularly for the CL.... so they HAD to change it to offer SOME incentive...

Didn't see them offering CL qualification for winning it when WE were regular participants!

This has been the first season we've competed in the EL where the prize for winning it was worth winning! (OTHER than the boring old glory and the trophy itself etc.)

Yes, the CL Final was an amazing achievement, and of COURSE we took THAT seriously... but it felt like a one-off as soon as we got there.... and felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity missed the moment Sissoko gave away the pen after 30seconds!

We've been a victim of wrong place, wrong time for years.... we decided to turm to shit for most of the decade the moment the PL was introduced in 1992, having won the FA Cup the year before.... and where was goal line tech. or VAR when Pedro Mendes SCORED at OT? They only REALLY considered it seriously after Lampard's disallowed goal for England in the WC!

Arse have thrived in the EL simply cos they've found their level, and now might make it two finals in 3 years....

I'm not saying I'd rather given up 3/4 years of CL football.... but when we ARE in the EL, the least we can do is respect it, and take it seriously enough to maybe win!
...cos we ain't winning the PL or CL anytime soon!

Last edited:
We will 100% win a trophy next season. In fact I'm so sure of this that if we don't, I'll leave this forum.
download.jpg

...but that's cos we weren't (and have never) really taken it seriously since we've been in it! (In 'modern times'... not talking about the '70s or '80s when it was deemed a Cup worth winning.... which we did!)

That said, it's only since we WEREN'T in it during the recent CL years that they decided to change it to winning = CL qualification... and THAT was only 'cos their little darlings like Man Utd & AraeAnal weren't qualifying regularly for the CL.... so they HAD to change it to offer SOME incentive...

Didn't see them offering CL qualification for winning it when WE were regular participants!

This has been the first season we've competed in the EL where the prize for winning it was worth winning! (OTHER than the boring old glory and the trophy itself etc.)

Yes, the CL Final was an amazing achievement, and of COURSE we took THAT seriously... but it felt like a one-off as soon as we got there.... and felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity missed the moment Sissoko gave away the pen after 30seconds!

We've been a victim of wrong place, wrong time for years.... we decided to turm to shit for most of the decade the moment the PL was introduced in 1992, having won the FA Cup the year before.... and where was goal line tech. or VAR when Pedro Mendes SCORED at OT? They only REALLY considered it seriously after Lampard's disallowed goal for England in the WC!

Arse have thrived in the EL simply cos they've found their level, and now might make it two finals in 3 years....

I'm not saying I'd rather given up 3/4 years of CL football.... but when we ARE in the EL, the least we can do is respect it, and take it seriously enough to maybe win!
...cos we ain't winning the PL or CL anytime soon!
It's too bloated. There's too many games. And when you get through the group, after playing 2 rounds of qualifiers just getting to the group, you then have to play a bunch of CL rejects. We don't and never have had the squad depth to take it seriously and be competitive in the league. We just don't.

Back
Top Bottom