Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's too bloated. There's too many games. And when you get through the group, after playing 2 rounds of qualifiers just getting to the group, you then have to play a bunch of CL rejects. We don't and never have had the squad depth to take it seriously and be competitive in the league. We just don't.
Surely it's about attitude.....?

Man City don't NEED to win the 'Mickey Mouse Beneath Us League Cup'.... yet they do.... year after year.... cos they just wanna win whatever, or WHOEVER is put in front of them.... yes, of COURSE they've got bigger fish to fry... up to a fortnight ago, they were going for the quadruple!
Imagine having to play CHAMPIONS LEAGUE REJETCS!!!! urrrgh, get that awful taste out of my mouth!

It's not about the 'glamour or prestige' of the trophy in question.... it's about attempting to win every trophy you enter.
...so WHAT if it's Plovdiv or, God forbid Quarabag on a Thursday night.... ? Woe is us, having to mix it with, and travel to such European PLEBS... oh the SHAME of it, cos we're SO above that!

I'd rather we'd have won a trophy, ANY trophy this season.... EVEN IF it was the 'Who cares, except Man City League Cup or the (I can hardly bring myself to say it) ROPEY LEAGUE!

Fuck me, we're SUCH deluded entitled snobs.... no wonder everyone hates us!

No one has a crystal ball and so no answer to that. Should we have won a trophy in the last 5 years. yes but there are many reasons why we did not including being in a final with a better club and players not performing on the day.
As a long term supporter who has seen many trophy wins, how is it that we could do it then and not now. Well one of the main differences is that in the past teams lower down in the league got to finals and therefore it was easier to win. Now the top teams seem to win everything because of their stronger squads whilst in the past most teams had only a strong first 11 and that made it hard to win multiple trophies.
For instance in 1991 the last time we won the F A Cup we finished 10th & Forest 8th. So unlike this year in the league cup we did not have to beat the league Champions to win it. The teams currently 3rd & 4th are contesting the F A Cup. I would say Chelsea are favourites but Leicester could win it and if they can win a trophy then so can we.
We clearly need a good Manager and better team than at present but we had both just a short while ago. We can get back to that but I still think luck plays a huge part and we need to hope that MU, MC, Chelsea and Liverpool are not our opponents in the final. Leicester were lucky to win the league in a poor season for the rich clubs. Will they be lucky again and win it with Chelsea distracted/worn down by multiple trophy challenges? Possibly.

DentalAnyAfricanwildcat-size_restricted.gif

You know the old adage, when the year ends in the letter Q then we will win a trophy

Surely it's about attitude.....?

Man City don't NEED to win the 'Mickey Mouse Beneath Us League Cup'.... yet they do.... year after year.... cos they just wanna win whatever, or WHOEVER is put in front of them.... yes, of COURSE they've got bigger fish to fry... up to a fortnight ago, they were going for the quadruple!
Imagine having to play CHAMPIONS LEAGUE REJETCS!!!! urrrgh, get that awful taste out of my mouth!

It's not about the 'glamour or prestige' of the trophy in question.... it's about attempting to win every trophy you enter.
...so WHAT if it's Plovdiv or, God forbid Quarabag on a Thursday night.... ? Woe is us, having to mix it with, and travel to such European PLEBS... oh the SHAME of it, cos we're SO above that!

I'd rather we'd have won a trophy, ANY trophy this season.... EVEN IF it was the 'Who cares, except Man City League Cup or the (I can hardly bring myself to say it) ROPEY LEAGUE!

Fuck me, we're SUCH deluded entitled snobs.... no wonder everyone hates us!
They have a squad big enough to do it. They only won one more game than us let's not forget.

The words "sleeping giant" are banded around far too often BUT we are the ultimate Sleeping giant, in fact we are a giant who has taken 5 mogadon as is firmly asleep.
We will win something one day, I feel almost guilty persuading my kids to support us though , as I cannot see it being the Premier League or CL . A much devalued League Cup or devalued FA Cup is the upper limit .
At least until we have a massively different structure at the top of our club.

It's funny.... in a thread about 'Will we ever win a trophy again' people don't want us in Europe... and 'Top 4' isn't a Trophy... whereas many regard the League Cup as 'Micky Mouse'.... the Premier League is out of the question if Kane/Son leave and someone like Potter comes in... so that leaves us with what...? The FA Cup, which is 50% luck of the draw!!

No wonder we're not gonna win owt with all our eggs in one little basket!!
I never said I didn't want us in Europe, I have quoted Sir Bill on that subject previously. I will never understand people who think we can't do both.
Whilst City, Man U, Chelsea and Woolwich have done it repeatedly, Levy is just happy to be in European competitions with a team that can't win it.
The F A Cup now has the incentive of the money league qualification and we still can't win it.
All of the above started their recent successes with a cup win. There is no shame in winning them.

It is now thirty one years (and counting) since we reached the FA Cup final. Thirty one years.
If someone had told me that would be the case as I left Wembley that day in 1991 I would never

Law of averages states we'll get one, one day, luck of the draw and all that. But no chance of sustained success given the strength of the rivals and awful transfer record of ENIC.

Only if:

1) Levy and Co have been truthful and plan to show real ambition "when the stadium revenue flows in"
2) If Spurs are bought by a billionaire that is passionate about the sport
3) If spurs use the stadium revenue to pay off the referees

Back
Top Bottom