Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FA or league, yes. At some point. If Ten Hag comes in and gets us up to Poch levels of fitness then no reason not to achieve this sooner rather than later.

PL? Unless a stupidly rich, generous person with an ego that demands nothing less than top spot takes over then no. Levy and ENIC have already made it clear they're fine with top 4.

I don't believe in curses or any of that voodoo hoodoo nonsense. Recent events have finally swung me round to believing that we're not achieving largely because our owners lack genuine ambition beyond the cold world of business. They pasted To Dare is to Do all over the place without actually believing it. While they're in charge, we wont break through the glass ceiling.

Harsh on both.

Poch reached 2 finals and 3 semi finals

Redknapp reached 1 final and 2 semi finals.

Levy doesn’t rate the league cup cos it wasn’t enough to make Keane and Berbatov stay.

To be fair noone has rated the league cup for decades but our exits have been generally embarrassing in it for a long time. Same as FA Cup. And Europa League.

Redknapp chucking that Portsmouth cup semi final to focus on Top 4 after taking replays to beat all of Leeds, Bolton and Fulham sums it up for me. Following year he just chucked a 4-0 surrender into Fulham early doors, unwelcome distraction was the message. Sent a third team out to Ukraine to play in a knock out round of the UEFA Cup, who wants to progress in that hey?

Pochettino giving less than zero fucks when we played Gent in the UEFA Cup. Complete apathy of home exits against Palace and Leicester as two examples.

Can't be bothered to give more examples but its tough to recall the last time we beat a decent team in a league/fa cup/Europa competition (at any stage). Only one I can think of really is beating Woolwich in the league cup three years back where Alli scored. Not even sure how full strength Woolwich were that day.

We don't deserve to win another trophy unless an oil rich billionaire buys the club, pumps hundreds of millions in to players, and start paying disproportionate salaries.

Only then could we ever be worthy of winning another trophy.

Can't be bothered to give more examples but its tough to recall the last time we beat a decent team in a league/fa cup/Europa competition (at any stage). Only one I can think of really is beating Woolwich in the league cup three years back where Alli scored. Not even sure how full strength Woolwich were that day.

We knocked Chelsea out the cup on penalties.
The little fucks.

I'm 61 and decided I am going to die at 91 and I think we will win one more trophy in that period. 2037 is my best guess.
Who will we play and what will be the score (I think I can guess that)? I’d like to know if it’s worth staying alive for. I probably won’t bother if it’s pens after a 0-0 draw or a bye due to Covid-36.

We did and that was with a reserve team.... and Dier taking shit breaks during the match.

Although wasn't it Norwich knocking us out the cup on pens that triggered Dier to rush up the stands to beat up a fan?

He's lucky people don't charge at him every time he offends someone.

That is so nonsensical.

But we can reach finals and seni-finals.

And 4 people agreed with you.

Nothing like bias and illogic.
1 trophy in 20 years says otherwise. Even that one is the poor man's version of a cup.
Compare that to the other top 6 clubs. So calm down Daniel and face facts.
Your the one talking nonsense

Makes me laugh how we lose a final to one of the best and most expensive teams in history and SSN banner says Spurs now go 14 years without a trophy.

Do they say Wet Sham have gone 41 years when they fail to win one?
Do they say Newcastle have gone over 50 years now without one?
Aston Villa and Everton 25+ years
Sheffield United 95 fucking years
Palace Fulham and Brighton have never won a cup at all. Ever.
I kind of agree to an extent, but then I think we might just be making excuses.
The counter arguments would be - in no particular order
* We are among the 10 "richest" clubs in the world the other clubs you mention aren't
* In the last few years we've had players like Kane, Son, Jan, Toby, Dembele, Walker, Rose, Eriksen. More than enough to win a trophy, those other clubs haven't had squads like that
* We've finished 2nd, 3rd and a handful of 4th's plus a few finals, semi-finals in that time you would expect something to stick
* Our prices are amongst the most expensive in the world, so I feel our fans can feel entitled to seeing us win one of these domestic cups at the very least given all of the above and the fact that the big guns don't prioritise them as much.

All told we should have won something in the last 10 years. The fact that we haven't and our team is only going to get worse/older from here I just feel like - If not then? when? and how?

Probably.... Possibly.... maybe....
But guess what....?
Even if we don't, DESPITE what Sky/BBC would have you believe, we will NOT stop being TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR!

Plenty of clubs will never win another trophy... it doesn't stop them being football clubs!

Back
Top Bottom