Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, of course, we all want Spurs to win trophies, and winning, say, the League Cup is better than no trophies... but who really cares that much about the domestic cups anymore? Who remembers the teams in the last 10 FA Cup and League Cup finals?
The Cups are no longer what they used to be. There have even been calls for scrapping the League Cup as it lost its prestige a long time ago.
What matters now is the CL and EPL title and qualifying for the CL. That's where the big money lies and that is also where the main attention of players is.
Players have turned Spurs down because they're not in the CL, meaning the CL is a prime attraction for other players...while I have never heard recently any player citing the FA Cup or League being the reason they joined Spurs or any other English club.

Yes, of course, we all want Spurs to win trophies, and winning, say, the League Cup is better than no trophies... but who really cares that much about the domestic cups anymore? Who remembers the teams in the last 10 FA Cup and League Cup finals?
The Cups are no longer what they used to be. There have even been calls for scrapping the League Cup as it lost its prestige a long time ago.
What matters now is the CL and EPL title and qualifying for the CL. That's where the big money lies and that is also where the main attention of players is.
Players have turned Spurs down because they're not in the CL, meaning the CL is a prime attraction for other players...while I have never heard recently any player citing the FA Cup or League being the reason they joined Spurs or any other English club.

Spurs are in a unique position where we claim to be a big club with big ambitions but we're associated with 'Spursyness' and a guarantee that we can't win silverware.

Spurs need to break that 'curse'.

If I was an ambitious player with real footballing ambition I'd steer clear of Spurs quite frankly.

We are in a horrible limbo:

Big enough to have expectation and entitlement that can soon turn toxic, yet not big enough to compete with the elites in terms of players.

We might have to go backwards before we go forward, like when we went down then bounced back with Burtenshaw. We certainly won't jump up a level with Levy in charge.

No....... We'll come close, but we won't win anything this decade.

We just can never take that final step or come up with the goods when glory is within touching distance.

We won nothing with arguably the best Spurs squad I've ever witnessed - and we've wasted an entire generation of quality Spurs players.

Its criminal that a team with peak, Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirald, Walker, Rose, Eriksen, Dele, Demble, Son and Kane won absolutely nothing.

FFS...... Here comes the dark mood again......

It all depends on what timelines we are referring to.

For example if time was infinite, then there is a 100% chance that a dog would write War & Peace word for word if given a typewriter.

So "Will we ever win a trophy again" depends on just how long the club would be around for. And we don't have a crystal ball.. but given the relative infancy of football and sport in the age of mankind, I would say that it would take something rather crazy for us to not win a trophy again.

The point your missing is that before ENIC we were part of the 10% who regularly did win something.
The world has changed a lot since then. Its worth keeping in mind. The reality is that today <5% of clubs win anything. And shrinking.

Our best real shot I think is the Europa next time we're in it. We'll have no choice but to prioritise it, as it'll be our only opportunity to get in the CL.

Last edited:
Dynamic of winning trophies has changed somewhat with the downgrading of domestic Cup competitions. Clubs largely field reserve teams and Citeh and Chavs mostly have been hoovering up Cups for years.

I know it’s pretty bad, that by the time we next have a chance to win something, it’s a 15 year wait back to 2008.

We’re not alone mind you. In terms of top flight honours Everton haven’t won since 1995, Aston Villa since 1996, Leeds 1992, Spammers 1980, Wolves 1980, Newcastle 1969.

If Man U don’t win the European Cup this season, you’re going back to 9 years between 1968 European Cup and 1977 FA Cup to find a longer trophy drought.

It’s not that long ago since Wenger had something like a 9 year trophy drought with Woolwich.

Mind you, what’s a bit demoralising last few years is, I think we have gone fairly hard to win a Cup to break the drought and demoralising defeat has been our lot. When we had a side strong enough to win something under Pochettino for a few seasons, we didn’t seem to invest very much in domestic Cups.

People love saying this to try and cover up for the fact that we’ve gone an embarrassingly long time without winning so much as a spoon for a ‘big club’. Yes a League Cup or FA Cup win isn’t going to be the reason a big name signs, it isn’t massively going to increase the fame of the club and it is true the prestige of both have declined. But to act like they’re meaningless is stupid. Winning these kind of trophies helps build a winning mentality that this club so fucking desperately needs. And these are the realistic trophies for us too, so it’s v weird that some fans look down upon these trophies. The last time we won one I was in primary school, now I’m going to graduate uni in a few months. How can some think that’s acceptable? For a ‘big club’??

What's really staggering is that the 9th richest club on the planet has won just 1 relatively minor trophy in a quarter of a century, and nothing at all in a decade and a half.
Why is that? Probably, because as ENIC themselves have confirmed, they only chose to become involved in football to milk it's global popularity. Trophies are of little, if any interest to them.

Out of the last 30 pieces of silver ( domestic) they’ve been shared by just 8 clubs Man City way in front with 12….Man Utd one of the wealthiest clubs in the world just 3……it’s very difficult without financial doping if our owners are not going to play ball with resources us winning anything is going to be a big ask+playing like we did last night is not going to help.
9th richest doesn't GUARANTEE trophies... Not with the type of money you're talking about...

Only 1st and 2nd richest guarantees that,,,!

This is absolute bollocks Im afraid and typical of a club with a denialist mentality.

"Yes we want to win cups but nobody cares about domestic cups.....what we want is the PL or CL"

It's built up over the years due the club being such an embarrassing failure that fans have have developed a coping mechanism which is to pretend trophies do matter but they at the same time don't really matter unless it's one of the really big ones so there's no real need to be alarmed we can't win anything.

Turning our noses up at the League cup (never mind the FA Cup) when we've won absolute diddly squat in 14 YEARS.

We used to endlessly mock Woolwich for their trophy drought and they managed to end it after 9 years while we're entering our 15th year with the media fully on on our backs with fans who don't care about domestic cups.

So much for "the game is about glory"

We will but we simply cannot keep rolling over in these competitions. To lose to a mid table Championship team is completely unacceptable. What are these players scared of?

Back
Top Bottom