Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spot on.
Even if we had to sell Bale, there was no need to buy SEVEN new players in ONE window.
Imo, Lewis/Levy and co. has had a massive fuckup this past window.

I do agree in hindsight. But you have to agree the place / fans were buzzing when we kept signing these guys.

Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado, Paulinho and Capoue all big names. Chadli and Vlad unknown to most yet had very reputable careers so far.

I

The summer signings still look more like the Rutles than the Beatles, but the joke has long worn thin.

And yet, IF we beat Swansea, then the season starts to look good again.
Well, funnily enough, points-wise we're not doing too bad. It's just that other teams has once again risen and winning games too. Should we win the Swansea-game and the other top teams win their games too, well we're in the same position.

I view;

having Bale > replacing him with large squad of internationals > selling half of them and relying on Bentaleb, Kane, Carroll

as taking four steps back without taking any forward.
Depends how you look at it. Everyone said Bale should be sold when he first joined. By bringing in a number of prospects, along with some more established players, aren't we actually increasingly the chances of one of them blossoming into a good player in due course?

How long do you think we could've held on to Bale before he started agitating for a move? I think he was going sooner or later. If not this season, the next at the latest. So what would be the point in building a team around him? Better to plan for the future, no? I thought that was what the AVB project was all about?

If Sherwood, is as we suppose, only a short term appointment then what we do this season is largely irrelevant and in fact we shouldn't be selling anyone as the next manager might actually want these players in 6 months time.....
On this I entirely agree. All this talk of selling people is speculation though. The only one to have actually gone is Defoe, and he's not a player for the future.

Levy is penny pinching yet again imo, we were told Bale was going to be replaced by a superior squad overall - and yet 6 months on that isn't the case, we are just going to rely on the youth team and pocket the cash instead.
I'm sorry, but this is silly. When was the last time we signed seven players in one summer, three times breaking our transfer record?? I will agree that Levy was probably unlikely to have spent so much had he not had the Bale money, but out of those signings we had Lamela and Eriksen, both regarded as hot talents for the future, Paulinho who had been fantastic for Brazil and Sodado who had been knocking them in for fun in Spain. It was hard to predict all would struggle to settle. I would hardly say bringing in such prospects displays a penny pinching lack of ambition. Levy could've easily just kept the Bale money and spent about £30m on signings.

I'm sorry, but this is silly. When was the last time we signed seven players in one summer, three times breaking our transfer record?? I will agree that Levy was probably unlikely to have spent so much had he not had the Bale money, but out of those signings we had Lamela and Eriksen, both regarded as hot talents for the future, Paulinho who had been fantastic for Brazil and Sodado who had been knocking them in for fun in Spain. It was hard to predict all would struggle to settle. I would hardly say bringing in such prospects displays a penny pinching lack of ambition. Levy could've easily just kept the Bale money and spent about £30m on signings.

I didn't say 'selling Bale to sign the others' was penny pinching.

'selling Bale to sign the others and then selling half of them after 6 months to rely on the youth team' is though.

Chadli can go...recoup as much as we can. So can Sig and Capoue (if the price is right)...use the combined funds to find a suitable first team player for the left.

Rose is fine. Strikers are fine.

Chadli can go...recoup as much as we can. So can Sig and Capoue (if the price is right)...use the combined funds to find a suitable first team player for the left.

:paulinhofacepalm:

A month ago weren't you asking for Dempsey back? Apologies if I've mistaken you for someone else.

I am not sure they are. After Defoe goes, say Ade pulls a hamstring, we are left with a striker still adapting to the PL and Harry Kane!!!

:paulinhofacepalm:

A month ago weren't you asking for Dempsey back? Apologies if I've mistaken you for someone else.

Yea. He is better than Chadli. And I believe it was Jan that said he worked the hardest in training...or maybe it was Dembele. A team (especially ours when things weren't going so well), can use players like that.

Back
Top Bottom