Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont think us not reaching Reus release clause is why we wont get him. it comes down to if hed want to come to us and the answer is no, no he would not.

Come home, son!

Tottenham Hotspur weigh up cut-price £1.5m deal for Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov

Daniel Levy remains keen on Bulgarian despite his tempestuous departure for Manchester United in 2008

By Matt Law
12:55PM GMT 20 Jan 2014

Daniel Levy is interested in a cut-price bid to re-sign Dimitar Berbatov – even though head coach Tim Sherwood does not believe Tottenhamneed any more strikers.

Berbatov’s agent has admitted his client would consider a move away from Fulham during this transfer window and the 32-year-old would be attracted by a return to White Hart Lane.

Despite the fact Jermain Defoe will leave Spurs for MLS club Toronto FC on February 28, Sherwood has told chairman Levy and director of football Franco Baldini he is happy to finish the season with the strikers that are already at the club.

But that has not stopped Levy looking at potential January deals ahead of the final 10 days of the transfer window and Berbatov is among the players who have caught his eye.

With less than six months of his Fulham contract to run, Berbatov would cost around £1.5million and would also want his £80,000-a-week Craven Cottage wages matched.

Levy failed in a last-ditch attempt to re-sign Berbatov from Manchester United ahead of Fulham at the end of the August 2012 transfer window and remains a fan of the Bulgarian, despite his acrimonious departure to Old Trafford.

Berbatov spent two years at Tottenham, scoring 46 goals in 102 appearances, before moving to Manchester United for £30.75m in the summer of 2008.

Fulham have not given up hope of keeping Berbatov until the summer and it is believed the Bulgarian has a good working relationship with head coach Rene Meulensteen.

Spurs have also considered moves for Juventus forward Mirko Vucinic, who has emerged as a target for Inter Milan, and Napoli’s Goran Pandev.

Although Defoe is on his way out, Sherwood believes Tottenham can finish the season successfully with Emmanuel Adebayor, Roberto Soldado and Harry Kane. He has also claimed Erik Lamela and Nacer Chadli could be deployed as forwards.

Meanwhile, Holland manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed he has not given up hope of taking a role at Spurs in the summer after rejecting the opportunity to succeed Andre Villas-Boas.

Asked about Tottenham’s approach, Van Gaal said: “Everybody knows it so I can admit it. I don’t do things in a double function. You have to give an example to your players that they have to focus on the national team and that is my ambition also.

“I have refused (the Tottenham job), but maybe there will come another chance. That is the difficulty with coaching. When you are free, then maybe there are no vacancies.

“When you are working, then there are vacancies. It is always difficult. After the World Cup I shall retire or, if there is a Premier League club, I shall think about it.

“I want to work in the Premier League because that is the league I have not worked in yet. I want to coach here in the Premier League because I think Spain, Germany and England are the strongest competitions. That is an ambition and who knows.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...deal-for-Fulham-striker-Dimitar-Berbatov.html

Come home, son!

Tottenham Hotspur weigh up cut-price £1.5m deal for Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov

Fuck off, Berbatov.

"Levy claimed that the Bulgarian striker twice refused to play for the club in August, and also criticised the level of 'player power' in the game.

"We had a player in Berbatov who had refused to play two games for us, having a detrimental affect on the dressing-room," he said.

"We'd known for a year that the player wanted out of this club.

"The reality is that in modern football the players have all the power."

Levy said last week that he felt no choice but to sell Robbie Keane in the summer, so he could fulfil his boyhood dream, but, when it came to Berbatov he said the club had just felt let down.
"We put him on the map, I think he's an outstanding player, but he signed a long-term contract with this club and I think he should have stayed.

"I had so many conversations with him. He kept saying it was about his ambition to play for Manchester United. It wasn't a money issue. We offered him a new contract and he wasn't even interested in discussing it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...v-was-sold-to-Manchester-United-Football.html

"Dimitar Berbatov has been locked in crisis talks over his future with Tottenham head coach Juande Ramos. It is believed Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev was present at the meeting in London this morning as the Bulgarian tries to convince the club to let him join Manchester United.
The 27-year-old refused to play against Sunderland on Saturday because his 'head wasn't right' and Spurs have threatened to let him rot in the reserves if they don't get a high enough bid from United."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ies-Spurs-crisis-talks-force-United-move.html

"The Spurs defender and his team-mates showed their commitment to the club last weekend, pulling together against Sunderland when petulant Berbatov allegedly refused to play.

The moody Bulgarian was angry at not being granted his move to Manchester United, a deal that is expected to go through this weekend. Asked if Berbatov's antics had done anything to dispel the negative, prima donna perception of today's stars, Woodgate said: "In the eyes of the supporters, not really no.

"I give 100 per cent. No matter where I am. No matter which club I play for.

"I will always do that because I am privileged to be a professional footballer. You have to try as hard as you can every day."

Former Spurs goalkeeping coach Hans Segers revealed in Mirror Sport yesterday that Berbatov was a "moody loner" who made life difficult for former boss Martin Jol before the Dutchman was sacked."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...gate-slams-Dimitar-Berbatov-article53185.html

Cash + Player deal possible for Benteke...or so the rumors suggest. I'd be ok with it depending on the player. Sigg? Maybe his cameo against Swans was a chance for teams to window shop

to bad they probably were not impressed :crouch:

Cash + Player deal possible for Benteke...or so the rumors suggest. I'd be ok with it depending on the player. Sigg? Maybe his cameo against Swans was a chance for teams to window shop

to bad they probably were not impressed :crouch:

Yeah where have you heard this?

To be honest they would likely want a striker anyway, and we don't really have any spare ones right now.

Spurs make January move for Benteke
awesome_up.png

dislike_up.png

Tottenham feels it can sign Christian Benteke this January in a player plus cash deal but believes it is more likely that it can snap up the Belgian hitman in the summer.

Source: Daily Mirror

Spurs want Pandev in Capoue swap
awesome_up.png

dislike_up.png

Napoli has reportedly offered 6.5 million euros for Etienne Capoue, but Tottenham has asked that the Serie A side include Goran Pandev in any future negotiations.

Source: Il Mattino

I would be deligthed with Benteke in this window, he is back to fitness and finding form now - and when he is on form there are few better in this country.

Also playing him off of the sort of midfield we have could be ridiculous. As well as the fact he is a more natural replacement to Adebayor than Soldado

Back
Top Bottom