Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The weird thing about history is such that you can't rule out someone one day randomly sticking the Naughtster in a more left midfield position, he plays well, make it his own, has an epic season and scores 3 against Inter... then moves to Real Madrid...

I kid, he doesn't have the shooting ability GB showed even at S'oton - but generally I don't think you can ever really judge a youth player until they've been really tested. I think Bale showed us all something very interesting about how a player can be so different for the sake of belief and the right manager; I think it's possible that TS might just be the guy who can find 4 or 5 £20m+ players hidden amongst our youth (maybe Bentaleb, not so sure about Kane, Coulthirst looks a gem) so maybe that's why he's been given a chance and a bit of time. If we can have another Bale in the squad this time next year (or even a hint of it) I'm all for it.

Back on topic, we definitely need someone upfront - Ideally you need cover for both strikers in a 4-4-2 as we've seen far too often, and I see Kane as an "okay, I'll trust you using youth" kind of sub for Adebayor, whereas up front we could do with perhaps swapping JD with the version of JD we had a few seasons ago - someone pacey and hungry for goals. I wouldn't even know who to suggest for this though.

I have to say that I wouldn't mind Dimi coming back in, even if it's for a short while, as he could do a great job still and as much as many people hate our players for leaving, I don't hold it against him at all.

I would like us to get in a left back and have no problem with a loan move for Lescott.

Mata would be fantastic but isn't going to happen, plus we have a a surplus of players in that role, which is a shame because Mata is the only Chelsea player who I am annoyed plays for them.

I have to say that I wouldn't mind Dimi coming back in
, even if it's for a short while, as he could do a great job still and as much as many people hate our players for leaving, I don't hold it against him at all.

Although I agree that Dimi is a top player / would have no issues with him coming back. I just don't think he would suit what Timmy is trying to get out of the team.

Soldado and Adebayor work so hard all game, closing the ball down, running into channels and offering width.

Dimmy doesn't do this. We need a work horse, who can hold the ball up in a similar fashion to adey. Gives us that outlet when on the backfoot.

I don't have anyone in particular in mind though.

Although I agree that Dimi is a top player / would have no issues with him coming back. I just don't think he would suit what Timmy is trying to get out of the team.

Soldado and Adebayor work so hard all game, closing the ball down, running into channels and offering width.

Dimmy doesn't do this. We need a work horse, who can hold the ball up in a similar fashion to adey. Gives us that outlet when on the backfoot.

I don't have anyone in particular in mind though.

That being said, if you've seen him since he's been at fulham he is like an attacking playmaker - you see him all over the pitch and he links up all the players. I think that's what we've been missing that Gareth used to be able to do, being the ignition of the team around the park.

I think Dimi's problem is that people think he's lazy because you don't see him running all the time, but he gets around the pitch and instils a bit of calm and pressure-less serenity; something we could have used in the last 30 against Utd yesterday

That being said, if you've seen him since he's been at fulham he is like an attacking playmaker - you see him all over the pitch and he links up all the players. I think that's what we've been missing that Gareth used to be able to do, being the ignition of the team around the park.

I think Dimi's problem is that people think he's lazy because you don't see him running all the time, but he gets around the pitch and instils a bit of calm and pressure-less serenity; something we could have used in the last 30 against Utd yesterday

It isn't his "laziness" (don't really want to use that word) when his team are in possession that is an issue. You are spot on. He wants the ball, drifts into space and links play up there with the best. It is when the opposition are dominating the ball. I cannot imaging him chasing down centre backs, tracking back a little etc. But I would be more than happy to be proved wrong!

Lescott used to be used at LB on occassion, it has been years since he has done it iirc. I dont think he is a viable option there, particularly as we are looking to our full backs for width and attacking ability - that isnt Lescott.

Lescott is, IMO an "ok" CB and thats it. I would have him on loan begrudingly because we need someone, and frankly I can see no other option.

I really want a LB, we need one as a matter of urgency.

Up front? I dont know. If Defoe goes he should be replaced, otherwise I wouldnt bother.

Im not even convinced we will persist with a 442, its quite possible this is a temporary thing all about getting the fit players on the pitch and playing well - we may well switch things up once Sherwood is comfortable and the injury list is down...

What's it been, close to two years? over two years? since he was last fully fit?
Bout a year and a half.

Injured first game last season, and was out all season. Led to believe that he was coming back a month or two ago, and played the full 120min against whatever team that was and looked great I thought, but apparently that was too much too soon and he's just disappeared back into the physio room.

Back
Top Bottom