Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Long for £2 million is a bargain whatever anyone says.
Agree! What you can be assured with Long, is 100% ever time he steps out on the pitch! Whether as a 65 minute sub or in the starting 11! Honest, hardworking player! Might just bring a little humility to the squad, along with his goals!

We know what price tags, (Torres, Soldado, Shevcheko) mean! Fuck all! Long for me would grasp the opportunity to don the shirt of a big club and would reward it with no less than 100% commitment! For me, for 2 mill + 40.000 per week! Money well spent!

Since when were we influenced by the transfer ethics of others! Long for me would grasp the opportunity with both hands (and feet) and would want to prove, he has something to offer at the next level! And for 2miil and 40k a week, he is less of a gamble than some!

31 year old Defoe who hasn't been ok form since the start of last season.

A 26 year old Long plus we will make at a guess £5 million with the difference of the JD sale.

Long won't be part of the World Cup this year so he won't be as worried about game time. Wasn't long ago since his club tried to sell him so he won't be opposed to a move, fuck me, what a chance he would have at ours.

He ain't a world beater but you won't find a better striker in the prem of his quality for a better price.

Torres, Carroll? The classic examples but a high transfer fee, a big club or a European name doesn't guarantee success.

Agree! What you can be assured with Long, is 100% ever time he steps out on the pitch! Whether as a 65 minute sub or in the starting 11! Honest, hardworking player! Might just bring a little humility to the squad, along with his goals!

We know what price tags, (Torres, Soldado, Shevcheko) mean! Fuck all! Long for me would grasp the opportunity to don the shirt of a big club and would reward it with no less than 100% commitment! For me, for 2 mill + 40.000 per week! Money well spent!
EXCLAMATION MARKS

juvFCj7.jpg

But do we want a player that performs Nazi salutes???????!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I can see the headlines now:
Daily Mail said:
Spurs Double Down On Anti-Semitism; Targeting Nazi Sympathizer

Long and recall BAE. All I want and if they dont happen im not too concerned. Sherwood loves youth team players so I could see Kane and maybe even Coulthirst getting a shout. Rose and Naughton are good enough cover at LB

31 year old Defoe who hasn't been ok form since the start of last season.

A 26 year old Long plus we will make at a guess £5 million with the difference of the JD sale.

Long won't be part of the World Cup this year so he won't be as worried about game time. Wasn't long ago since his club tried to sell him so he won't be opposed to a move, fuck me, what a chance he would have at ours.

He ain't a world beater but you won't find a better striker in the prem of his quality for a better price.

Torres, Carroll? The classic examples but a high transfer fee, a big club or a European name doesn't guarantee success.
For me, I think we would see an inspired Long! His work rate has never been in question and for him to have the recognition of joining the biggest club of his carrier, at the end of his carrier, would (hopefully) see him produce his very best! And that ain't to shabby!

I would be more than happy, winning, losing or drawing, to see a character like SL coming on for the last 20-25 minutes!

100 percent agree. Cracking player for the money. Will always get stuck in, confident, can score and will be happy on the bench and getting his shot. No brainier for me.

He hasn't seen a lot of game time to be fair, I'd call it a a bigger risk than we Should be taking when wanting to buy for the LB position. Also, I've mainly seen him play out of position as a winger / attacking midfielder for Chelsea last season, did he really play LB in the CL final?
Definitely not a great signing IMO, much rather go for Buttner..

Bertrand is a risk as he hasn't had much game time, but we should go for Buttner? Hmmm that's some great logic you have there.

are you guys having a laugh. Shane Long?? Decent player yes but this is Tottenham!

its the sorta think Harry would do. Surely to keep improving we need to demand more. Our 3rd choice striker even when everyone is fit will basically appear as sub every game.

Exactly. We are looking for someone to fill a gap in the squad, not a potential world beater. Long fits the bill perfectly.

Long has 3 goals this season, he is completely out of form. Even a 74 year old Anelka is keeping him out of the team.
If we want a stop gap striker I dont really see the point in him, and I do like him enough as a player - I just dont see what buying an out of form player is going to do for us.

If we are gambling like that I think Id rather go for someone like Vokes who is banging them in, or Deeney who always gets his goals. Coming from the championship its still a gamble but at least they are form players.

Obviously if given the choice Id rather just go for someone able to complete the squad and not be a stop gap at all

People's poor opinion of Long does kinda baffle me on here, is it because he's only ever played for average clubs? literally the perfect cheap back up

For me, I think we would see an inspired Long! His work rate has never been in question and for him to have the recognition of joining the biggest club of his carrier, at the end of his carrier, would (hopefully) see him produce his very best! And that ain't to shabby!

I would be more than happy, winning, losing or drawing, to see a character like SL coming on for the last 20-25 minutes!

He is 26, not at the end of his career. If anything coming into his prime.

And his prime consists of 19 goals in 80 WBA appearances (22 in 85 all comps).

He is an industrial player, works brilliantly, and can find the goal. Ive enjoyed watching him play before, I just dont see how he is what we need at all.

Well Kozak has broken his leg in training at villa (#spursy) so that's any chance of benteke being sold completely gone
either way Benteke should not come to us now, he lost his mojo and with the pressure from the crowd at Spurs its crazy to buy a player with low confidence. We'd slaughter him after two bad games, if you want to succeed at Spurs you need to be very strong mentally because this is a very hard club to play for.

Id be all over him. Tim will give him some of that magic confidence sponge he has and he will be fine :)

On form he is already one of the best strikers in the premiership, at 22.

He is having a poor season this season for sure, but we have all seen what he can do. Put him in a team that actually attacks and with purpose and Im sure he would find form and the crowd will love him.

If you list the attributes you want in your ideal striker he will tick most of the boxes
Good feet
Scores from range
Scores in close
Good in the air
Big, strong as an ox
Decent pace
Holds the ball up well...

I agree , when he is right in the head he's very good but i've been following him from the age of 16 and he always has these periods when things dont go his way and he seems to lack the mental strenght to cope with it. On his day he can be brilliant and lead the attack all on his own, but if he feels lost than he offers absolutely nothing. Lambert already said it a lot of times, he just doesnt realise how good he is and as such cant get himself up when he is down

Back
Top Bottom