Woolwich Wanderers V Tottenham Hotspur Football Club

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yesterday just illustrated that we really need Eriksen and Lamela to step up quickly. We did everything according to the AVB gameplan (play high up the pitch, pressure opponent) but missed the final creative element to get past the Woolwich bus parked in their final 3rd.

I came away from yesterdays match more positive about our season than I was before.

The one slight concern I have is that Soldado still feels like a strange fit for me. He will never be a player who gets a lot of touches because his game is 100% about getting on the shoulder of defenders and one-touch box finishing. The issue he'll have with AVB's strategy is that with the high line we play, the space behind defenders he thrives on will be very limited.

But we don't actually have a decent dead-ball taker, Sigurdsson's probably the best we have, hopefully Eriksen can be up to the job.

Our corners have been poor for the last few seasons. I've lost count of the number of times we fail to get it past the first man. Shocking.

Yesterday wasn't terrible, enough there to see we will improve as the season goes on. My biggest concern is the lack of decisions in the final third and someone looking for the killer pass or final ball to Soldado. Finger crossed this will come with time and familiarity.

Bottom line, AVB needs to find his best team sooner rather than later. Thank christ the window shuts today.

Corners were a joke yesterday Walker should defo get the hoof, what was everyones thoughts on Lamela I thought he looked a bit lost when he came on

This is my main worry for the season ahead. If it takes 5 or 6 games for the new players to gel/fit in, we could find ourselves a bit behind the pack. I know its early days and we won our first two league games, but we have only scored 2 goals in 3 league games and they were both penalties.

Corners were a joke yesterday Walker should defo get the hoof, what was everyones thoughts on Lamela I thought he looked a bit lost when he came on
He barely had any game time. The guy had a few good first touch passes but besides that his teammates rather passed the ball to someone else or took a 1000000000meter shot.

This is my main worry for the season ahead. If it takes 5 or 6 games for the new players to gel/fit in, we could find ourselves a bit behind the pack. I know its early days and we won our first two league games, but we have only scored 2 goals in 3 league games and they were both penalties.
This is why the transfer window should slam shut before season kicks off, gives teams a chance to gel in pre season rather than into the first 3 league games.

Its clear to me that Soldado cant play as a lone striker. Not in this set up anyway.

Both Ade and Defoe are more effective with these players around them.

Until we find the players to utilise Soldado, I would start with Ade, or play Defoe with Soldado, and drop Dembele.

Yes people! 442!!

Better to play with two strikers than (effectively) none

This is the line up I want to see for our next against Norwich:

Walker Kaboul Vert Rose
Pauli Sandro
Lamela Holtby Siggy
Soldado

After 70 min: Bring on Eriksen for Holtby, Townsend for Lamela, and maybe Dembele for Paulinho (or Chadli for Siggy).

I think this has the potential to be a lot more creative and fluid than what we saw today.

Wouldn't mind Lennon (If fit / Still around) for siggy. Hold that width a little. Holtby is a must though. That killer pass is lacking to often.

Its clear to me that Soldado cant play as a lone striker. Not in this set up anyway.

Both Ade and Defoe are more effective with these players around them.

Until we find the players to utilise Soldado, I would start with Ade, or play Defoe with Soldado, and drop Dembele.

Yes people! 442!!

Better to play with two strikers than (effectively) none

What is the 442 you speak of? :avblol:

I thought he looked up for it. Was chasing down, getting into space and the danger in the last 5 minutes was all from the right.

Didn't have enough time to make a proper mark, but was impressed with what I've seen so far.

I thought he looked up for it. Was chasing down, getting into space and the danger in the last 5 minutes was all from the right.

Didn't have enough time to make a proper mark, but was impressed with what I've seen so far.
Maybe its his baby face looks that just made him look shat scared when he came on.

Our corners have been poor for the last few seasons. I've lost count of the number of times we fail to get it past the first man. Shocking.

Yesterday wasn't terrible, enough there to see we will improve as the season goes on. My biggest concern is the lack of decisions in the final third and someone looking for the killer pass or final ball to Soldado. Finger crossed this will come with time and familiarity.

Bottom line, AVB needs to find his best team sooner rather than later. Thank christ the window shuts today.

That's another Walker trait that annoys me, he should be fined ever time he stops play to have a look around to spot a pass...he should keep the ball moving, just pass to the closest man and get on with it, if a better pass isn't immediately available it's not going to appear after you've given their defense more time to get set.

What is wrong with wingers taking on a man and crossing it in? Why doesn't anyone want to do that any more?

We've got a 26m striker in the middle waiting to smash some balls into a net, but he's not getting any service because our wingers are all looking to cut inside and shoot. It's nice when you've got someone like Bale who can fucking hit a ball, but I'd like to have seen a winger like Lennon on yesterday. Take on a full-back (Jenkinson and Gibbs ffs. Those two aren't world beaters) whip in a cross. Soldado waiting in the middle. Bang. Goal. Simple.

That's another Walker trait that annoys me, he should be fined ever time he stops play to have a look around to spot a pass...he should keep the ball moving, just pass to the closest man and get on with it, if a better pass isn't immediately available it's not going to appear after you've given their defense more time to get set.

Yes. They really need to adress this very seriously to him. Dwelling on the ball, not even moving forward is harming the team's general play.

Back
Top Bottom