Woolwich @ Wembley - 2nd March - 1230KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me I think it should be all in or all out law for handball, remove the interpretation, the preference being if it's hit your arm it's handball (remove the intention aspect) at least this way there is no doubt of the outcome.

They have just made some changes to it, but not enough IMO as it still has the officials having to make a judgement if the players "silhouette" is as it should be.

Well this is the thing...some rules are unwavable. We have Var delaying the game and ruling out goals because someones shoelace was in front the line, but stopping a goal on the line with your arm is not a penalty because he was a "silhoette" and "didnt mean it".

Well this is the thing...some rules are unwavable. We have Var delaying the game and ruling out goals because someones shoelace was in front the line, but stopping a goal on the line with your arm is not a penalty because he was a "silhoette" and "didnt mean it".
It's fucked up, they should tie the arms to the bodies of players and see how a human being can run and jump whilst changing direction etc. they might learn what a natural position or not for the arm/hand to be in (I haven't read the new changes just the headline stuff and I think this silhouette stuff means it still requires a judgement to be made if it's an appropriate silhouette or not??).

It's fucked up, they should tie the arms to the bodies of players and see how a human being can run and jump whilst changing direction etc. they might learn what a natural position or not for the arm/hand to be in (I haven't read the new changes just the headline stuff and I think this silhouette stuff means it still requires a judgement to be made if it's an appropriate silhouette or not??).
And whats to stop players players deliberately blocking a shot with his arms by his side.

He can still lean into the ball sideways

Heard it all now. Doesn't this disadvantage Shaw, Higuain, Crouch, Shaquiri?

Referees to judge silhouettes? Have any of these rulemakers played (or at very least reffed?)
I haven't read the new rule in detail but think it's still got to do with whether a hand/arm is in a natural position or not, but they have removed this phrasing and replaced it with "silhouette". I really should find the time to read them but to be honest I'd rather poke cocktail sticks in my eyes first.

No-one's blaming him (well not me anyway).

He lost the ball cheaply instead of getting a shot off. Five seconds later Ramasy is 1 on 1 with Lloris.

Poor cover and defending.

Kane definitely shares some of the blame for dilldallying. Our biggest issue up top, is that everyone seems to want the absolute perfect place to shoot. Son, Dele and Eriksen all do it too.
When was the last snap shot, or long range effort?

Shoot and its either 1-0 to us or a goal kick, but not 1-0 to them.

Shooting long range is underatted....well look at the goals in the Utd v Southampton game....De Gea beaten twice from 30yrds, while we tried to walk the ball in past him and played to his strengths

And whats to stop players players deliberately blocking a shot with his arms by his side.

He can still lean into the ball sideways
That's what the current rule does but people are unhappy with refs having to make the interpretation of intentional / deliberate.

The new rule allows blocking with arms by his side but also does not penalize when a ball is hit at you from a yard with no chance of moving. They cant think of a way (other than the current rules which people are unhappy with ) of resolving both and they have decided that they would rather have instances where players can block with hands by side (not a great deal of advantage gained as you cant make yourself bit) and not peanalise instances where they cant get out of the way. Its a decision I agree with.

That's what the current rule does but people are unhappy with refs having to make the interpretation of intentional / deliberate.

The new rule allows blocking with arms by his side but also does not penalize when a ball is hit at you from a yard with no chance of moving. They cant think of a way (other than the current rules which people are unhappy with ) of resolving both and they have decided that they would rather have instances where players can block with hands by side (not a great deal of advantage gained as you cant make yourself bit) and not peanalise instances where they cant get out of the way. Its a decision I agree with.

Leave the law as it is (at least refs are used to it). Add VAR - see what happens. If it doesn't work, amend the law.

Otherwise if it improves next sesaon no-one will know whether it's the law change or VAR that has brought about the improvement.

Leave the law as it is (at least refs are used to it). Add VAR - see what happens. If it doesn't work, amend the law.

Otherwise if it improves next sesaon no-one will know whether it's the law change or VAR that has brought about the improvement.
A few laws (IMO) are already being changed to help VAR make decisions, which seems a bit backwards as VAR was meant to help enforce the rules.

Getting rid of intent is a way that makes it easier for VAR, the change for defenders has moved advice in interpretation into the actual law.

*Deliberate handball is still an offence even if the hands are by the side so it deals with the previous point.

Back
Top Bottom