Would you want a big money take-over at Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me I'd hate to see Spurs get taken over and further commercialized, I don't want us to become another City or another Chelsea. I'm proud of what we have and would like to keep it, though that said I wouldn't walk away from the club if such a takeover did happen. (but I don't know if I'd be able to support it in the same way. )

Though it is clear that a takeover would make success for the club far more likely so by me saying that I don't want one, in a way, I am also saying that I don't want the club to be as successful as possible which I do want.. :/ ...basically I'm not really sure what I'd want so I thought I'd see what the general consensus on this here forum is.

(Totally theoretical, no big-money take-over rumours to speak of)

i don't think there's a problem with a big money takeover as such. Its more being taken over by one guy who is prepared to pay unlimited funds that puts us at an unfair advantage that would leave a sour taste in my mouth. I would feel like a massive hypocrite supporting a team that did that.

I would expect us to continue to run at an operating profit, but perhaps the extra dosh can go into infrastructure around the club, rather than paying a few blokes 300k a week.

The whole system is skewed. Surely if your owner is wealthy enough to waste 50m on a striker that does nothing and another 50m on hiring and firing a manager, then he is rich enough to lower ticket prices for the fans?

I have to say I like what we are doing now, Levy (imo) has done an amazing job considering where we were when he took over.

I would go as far as saying I would love for Abramovic to one day soon go 'fuck it, I've had enough I'm not interested any more and Chelsea collapse. It would be a great warning to lots of other clubs,

In the mean time, we reap the rewards from our new stadium and training complex and don't have to worry about some super rich owner sacking our manager every season and spending mad money on players the managers don't want/cant work in to the team whilst other players on £200k a week are in the paper every 5 minutes making people hate them because they seem to think they are bigger than the club, the shirt.

FUCK THAT

I'm hoping with the revenue and naming rights etc there is absolutely no reason for us to need a 'big money takeover' damn chuffed with what Levy has done and hope the above helps get the bigger wages for those players to take us to the next level. I want us to be up there the right way with hard work and sensibility.

Nope. I don't have a problem with someone really wealthy taking over (they all are, after all), but absolutely no leveraged buyouts, Russian oligarchs, or Sheikhs are welcome in my mind. It's just not good or responsible business.

It's one thing to build up a debt load in building a new stadium to increase receipts, it's another thing entirely to use it as a crutch and as a fast-track to league titles and cups through recklessly expensive player transfers.

Chelsea and Man City can have their billion dollar debts, I'm very happy with Spurs' meager ~60mil.

AberdeenYid said:
Isn't Joe Lewis worth about £3b? That's quite wealthy isn't it?
depends what your definition of 'wealthy' is, and how that figure is made up.

There is a difference between 'cash rich' and 'asset rich'.

Same applies to 'big money takeover'.

If the question is would I accept a larger corporate commercial face and less integrity and values, then no.

Because money really isn't everything.

very much depends on who it is that takes over. the AEG rumour for example
i think would have actually been a good alignment because the people involved do
actually have a passion for sport as you can tell from the other teams they own,
and the other forms of revenue they would bring to the stadium would be outstanding
in bringing down our debt that much quicker. im all for a cash injection but as
virginia spur said
VirginiaSpur said:
absolutely no leveraged buyouts, Russian oligarchs, or Sheikhs are welcome in my mind. It's just not good or responsible business.

YEP All Fucking day long.

With a handful of 45 Million overpriced players to our already fantastic squad

Cant stand those Manc bastards winning every time at WHL just to be able to go thier's and
smash them beyond belief would be a dream

It's tempting, just being able to buy who you like, Chelsea and Man City have had more invested in them than can ever be returned and while you'd love to be able to put a team of world class players and buy in the best and every other team. But you know all of this is not forever, it simply can't be.

I'd like a money man to come in and keep the squad level the same along with the wage structure, I'd ask them to fund a new ground and when we secure higher gates and better sponsorships then we can buy in the new talent. I want success but not the 'flash in the pan' rubbish where everything is left in a mess and the club is left with contracts that it can't pay, which will eventually happen to Man City and Chelsea at some point in the future. I want us to have a team that is sustainable because that's the only way you make a real solid future.

Money is not the corruptor it's how it's used. If ENIC exit the club when it has a new ground and a top 4 side then they will have made a hell of a lot of money and left the club in a much better place than it was when they turned up, if the next owner can carry that legacy the right way I'll be a happy with that.

I'm sure I read somewhere recntly that Enic were looking to offload their shares to a big Yank company but part of the deal was Levy had to stay as chairman?

Maybe I dreamed it. 50m and Moureen would have us challenging for the title. Mexes, Benzema and Eden. Maybe a tad more than 50m.

Regardless of what any Chelsea or now City fans will try to tell you, any trophy they win is hollow and meaningless. Any, I mean any club in the country can be turned into a championship and cup winning side if enough money is thrown at it, and 'it' is exactly what these football team become. Nothing more than a play toy for the rich. Football's fucked as it is, people and clubs like this are just making it worse.

I'd rather be a club aiming for a top 4 finish each year and having a shot at a couple of cups over buying the title.... In fact, I'd rather sit in mid table obscurity forever more than buy the title in the same manner as chelsea and city.

I supose the counter argument is you could just as easily say Man U have bought their way to success. They have always paid massive transfer fees.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Dru said:
I supose the counter argument is you could just as easily say Man U have bought their way to success. They have always paid massive transfer fees.
Not really. Man Utd have built towards it and haven't run themselves at huge losses the way Chelsea and City have.
How? havent they been in massive debt for years?

An Everton/Fulham fan would look at us and say we have 'bought' success we have had in recent years.

A Palace fan would look at other clubs being promoted and say the same thing wouldnt they?

Back
Top Bottom