Would you want a big money take-over at Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

thats whats great about this season is that, with the money we've spent in the last few years we should never be near third. i've asked this question to myself quite a few times ans whilst i would love to see spurs lift every trophy going, i dont think i'd enjoy them as much knowing we spent sill money and pay wages that are just stupid like City and Chelsea do.

Dru said:
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Dru said:
I supose the counter argument is you could just as easily say Man U have bought their way to success. They have always paid massive transfer fees.
Not really. Man Utd have built towards it and haven't run themselves at huge losses the way Chelsea and City have.
How? havent they been in massive debt for years?

An Everton/Fulham fan would look at us and say we have 'bought' success we have had in recent years.

A Palace fan would look at other clubs being promoted and say the same thing wouldnt they?

United are in debt due to poor boardroom management.

They built a team from the ground up, yes that required investment but every single mainstay of the premiership in the past 15 years has spent many millions.

Yes we've spent money, but I think you'd be hard pressed to name any of our players who signed up for huge wages or sign on fees?

We spend well within our means, and generally recoup the majority of any outlay.

For all his faults and for all the scorn he gets when we don't spunk 50m every transfer window, Levy has done a proper job for us.

Dru said:
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Dru said:
I supose the counter argument is you could just as easily say Man U have bought their way to success. They have always paid massive transfer fees.
Not really. Man Utd have built towards it and haven't run themselves at huge losses the way Chelsea and City have.
How? havent they been in massive debt for years?

An Everton/Fulham fan would look at us and say we have 'bought' success we have had in recent years.

A Palace fan would look at other clubs being promoted and say the same thing wouldnt they?
Everyone has to spend. It's about spending within your means. We make a profit, so we don't spend beyond our means. So does Man Utd.

Chelsea and Man City post losses - that's what's unacceptable.

I'd take an uber-Sheikh (ideally with Levy remaining as chairman) like City have got any day of the week because we'd win the league, it's that simple.

But I an cautious of the type of takerovers that we have seen at clubs like Manure and the bindippers. That's uncharted waters and it's not a given that you can, essentially, buy success with such takeovers.

Smoked Salmon said:
I'd take an uber-Sheikh (ideally with Levy remaining as chairman) like City have got any day of the week because we'd win the league, it's that simple.

But I an cautious of the type of takerovers that we have seen at clubs like Manure and the bindippers. That's uncharted waters and it's not a given that you can, essentially, buy success with such takeovers.

Glory is not just about success, half of it is getting there in a likewise fashion.

They may be heralded by the tabloids, but no real football fan holds Chelsea's league wins in the same esteem as United's or dare I even say Woolwich's.

Don't be so quick to pawn our club's proud history for a quick fix.

I wouldn't want it. I am happy with who we have and once we have £1m coming through the gates every home game we'll have put ourselves into an even stronger financial position whilst not being a bunch of whores

tehTrunk said:
Smoked Salmon said:

Glory is not just about success, half of it is getting there in a likewise fashion.

They may be heralded by the tabloids, but no real football fan holds Chelsea's league wins in the same esteem as United's or dare I even say Woolwich's.

What proud history? We've hardly won shit in 50 years. Unless you think that four FA Cups and a couple of Uefa Cups in that time is about major glory (I won't even waste time with comparing the League Cup to winning major trophies like the league).

I want us to be competing for the league and the CL like the other big clubs. Not living a delusion where we shouldn't be doing it unless we do it is "the Tottenham Way". I want us to be a major force in world football, not be the "nearly boys" who come close and then do another 50 years of floating around mid-table searching for that mystical glory game of a bygone era.

The Tottenham way and the glory game are luxuries on the modern era. Lets worry about actually competing first and then we can see about doing it in the Tottenham way.

Plus, I'm not convinced by your comparison of Chelsea and United's league wins, with the latter being more glorious. Considering that United is the most valuation and profitable club in the world, one could also make the argument that they now have an advantage that detracts from glory as well.

Besides, having a super-shiekh does not mean we could not still employ glory. I don't see that the two are mutually exclusive.

Now, all that said, I did caveat this above by saying that the uber-sheikh is the one exception I would make. I wouldn't even take someone of Abramovich's wealth or character. Only someone for whom wealth truly is no object. Otherwise I would prefer to go on building as we have.

If we can keep the running of the club the same but have an injection of £100m then I wouldn't cry myself to sleep but I wonder how far £100m would go (cough Liverpool cough dicks)

to be honest as long as our seasons not over by December, i'm not too unhappy as we are now. do we really want that much more, we're competing in Europe, competing for cups, and probably going to finish 4th in the league. i know in compared to earlier in the season its disappointing but its easily forgotten that the scum spent £50

Smoked Salmon said:
tehTrunk said:
Smoked Salmon said:

What proud history? We've hardly won shit in 50 years. Unless you think that four FA Cups and a couple of Uefa Cups in that time is about major glory (I won't even waste time with comparing the League Cup to winning major trophies like the league).

I want us to be competing for the league and the CL like the other big clubs. Not living a delusion where we shouldn't be doing it unless we do it is "the Tottenham Way". I want us to be a major force in world football, not be the "nearly boys" who come close and then do another 50 years of floating around mid-table searching for that mystical glory game of a bygone era.

The Tottenham way and the glory game are luxuries on the modern era. Lets worry about actually competing first and then we can see about doing it in the Tottenham way.

Plus, I'm not convinced by your comparison of Chelsea and United's league wins, with the latter being more glorious. Considering that United is the most valuation and profitable club in the world, one could also make the argument that they now have an advantage that detracts from glory as well.

Besides, having a super-shiekh does not mean we could not still employ glory. I don't see that the two are mutually exclusive.

Now, all that said, I did caveat this above by saying that the uber-sheikh is the one exception I would make. I wouldn't even take someone of Abramovich's wealth or character. Only someone for whom wealth truly is no object. Otherwise I would prefer to go on building as we have.

I have the power to ban you.

Think on...

Smoked Salmon said:

Seeing that Citeh haven't managed it yet and their main aim is to win the CL then to say it's that simple is a ridiculous statement.

All it would mean is that the "plastic" abuse we throw at Citeh and the Chavs would could straight back at us.

One team can win the League. That's it, money while providing the starting point does nothing more than guarantee you a load of mercenaries coming to your club for the money. No thanks, I already detest the amount that modern day footballers earn, at least at our club we can afford to pay them whilst still operating at a profit.

Back
Top Bottom