WTF is going wrong

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title suggests

• Under-invested mess of a squad

Votes: 100 49.8%
  • Over-the-hill mess of a manager

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 60 29.9%
  • I prefer to stick my head in the sand and pretend everythings sweet

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • We have the right board and the right manager, but teams lose games sometimes

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Liver metatastis frequency

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
You can blame any manager for any team selections after any loss in any season throughout any clubs history.

Sometimes, though there comes a time when the more rational look at the bigger picture.
Like after 20 years.
And what if over 20 years the right tools provided have been left on the bench in key games by managers that have made appalling decisions.

I guess you will revert to the mantra “it’s Levy’s fault for hiring them”.

Well other than AVB, on the last 12 years every manager has been a step up.
We are three months into this one, he’s a proven winner with a mess of a squad who took over in November.

I won’t be calling this a failure until it’s proven to be one. You can’t really fail before you’ve built something yourself.
It would be like calling Poch a failure in his first season, despite the luxury he had in a summer window, pre season, tour and several months at the club before the season began.

Am I right in saying that out of the 15 players that played last night, 14 are full internationals? Skipp being the outlier?

So if that’s correct, that team we put out should be enough to beat fucking Norwich at home.

That we didn’t is the fault of the players for not making enough effort. And again the players for being shit at pens.

And the manager for choosing the players. And the manager for choosing the tactics.

And the board for hiring the manager. And the board for buying those players.

Like every other thing that happens to this club, there’s not one thing to fault or to praise, there’s a multitude. Nothing that ever happens to Spurs is down to one guy alone. If you think that, you must be slightly simple.

So we get NFL, Guns n Rose, Sarries and Joshua in the stadium......

BVXSzi.gif

But no striker for half a season

Seriously, though. WTF have we become?
Crap. Until levy & ENIC go we ain't going to the next level. The direction they are taking us in, the next level might even be top 4 & a place in the CL

It looks bleak but there's a quarter of a season let in the league. 2 points behind the ones we chase we simply can't be throwing in the towel.

Teams will slip up and we could have Kane back in 3-4 games. Can't be looking at it that way in my opinion but each to their own.
Have you been watching us play mate ?

It’s over

Nope not a chance..

I do think our season is done though. With respect to Norwich but it says how far we have slipped from our temporary pedestal.

But Mourinho or whoever will NEVER again enter a season with anything less than 2 if not 3 strikers. Only City could cope in that scenario. Not even Liverpool would do well. It neuters you as a force.

It's Mourinho's saving grace unless we lose more games than we win from now until season end.

But again I just laugh and shout out those who thought getting a striker in addition to Kane would have been a waste of money. Shame on you for being so myopic.

And yes my own response to my own post, fcuk Kane in terms of having someone good enough to maybe even force him to the bench.

It is the only way a team improves to have players who believe they are as good if not better than but who are given a chance.

Never again should we allow such short sighted nonsense.

I really want to know who the driver is behind our transfer activity. I’m not talking about how much we spend, I’ll let the Levy haters / apologists discuss that. Who is the driving force within our committee in identifying and committing to the signing of players. There are a lot of complaints about our “stale” squad but our activity has lacked a proper plan.

- Sanchez was bought to be the lynchpin of our defence by this point for sure. That hasn’t happened. The progress of Foyth has been even more stunted. Why did we sign a CB for 40m who can’t pass and then attempt to play out from the back? There’s no synergy between our transfer activity and tactics.

- We bought Aurier in somewhat of a panic following the Walker sale. Did we scout him? If so, surely his defensive inadequacies were evident?

- What was the strategy when signing Sessegnon? Was he bought as a long term replacement for Rose or to be used as a wide MF? It’s not clear to me why we bought him yet. We must have had a plan?

- Why did we spend so much money on 2 number 8’s when we were crying out for a DCM? Wanyama is done and Dier has regressed significantly. I understand Poch wanted to play the diamond but one of Ndombele / GLC plus a DCM was the right path and I think most people agreed on that at the time.

- Why didn’t we retain Llorente on a free? He’s not great at all, but seemed like a good egg in the dressing room and never let us down. In the absence of a second striker we should have picked him back up.

- What was the plan when we signed Sissoko? What was he bought for? He was initially deployed as a wide MF but that was the same summer Mane went for the same price. Why weren’t we after him instead? Did we just see he was available towards the end of the window and think “that’ll do”?

I guess the point is we have no clear strategy at all when it comes to transfer activity. For all Levy’s faults, he’s always struck me as someone who plans things meticulously, except he hasn’t in this regard.

We are the 6th biggest club in England, but I believe we can scale higher than that by buying savvy and being more astute in the market. Dortmund are, why can’t we?

We need direction and a plan. That starts with the appointment of a Director of Football for me.

Top post and nailed it for me

Bravo

That summer when we didn't sign anyone is really fucking us up the arse. We have a stale, burnt out squad that is past it's best and players who are still developing. Apart from Kane and Son we have no players who are at their peak and you could even claim that Kane isn't as good as a few seasons ago due to injuries and being overplayed.

ENIC have done a very good job overall as if you look at where they were when we took over it's night and day. However, Levy has often got lucky with managerial appointments and has never shown the extra investment and ambition on the pitch to get us to really kick on.

His best managers were:

Jol - Brought in as Santini's assistant and got the gig as the frenchman walked out
Redknapp - Brought in as we only had 2 points from 8 games (he may have mentioned it a few times)
Poch - Was appointed as LVG decided to go to Utd instead

Lasagne season we got Danny Muprhy and Hossam Ghaly in January which didn't help us kick on.

Redknapp had us in 3rd in January as we got Saha and Nelsen.

Poch had us challenging for league titles and we didn't get the players in to lead the challenge the following season.

I can't see Levy selling up so he needs to appoint a DoF and keep away from the football side. He spends too much time haggling when it comes to buying and selling players and it's to the detriment of the club.

So Kane, Lloris and Kane injured.

Lucas and Bergwijn potentially injured.

Dier and Dele likely heading for bans.

Lamela and Ndombele can't get fully fit.

Ouch.

After last night it looks like the best use of this new stadium is for boxing!

Dier vs lippy non-fan and Dier won on penalties.

Seriously we are like a car that you decide to scrap instead of repair. We cannot go on like this!
Why are we are going to play this way, with 2 defensive DMs and no challenge until they get to the penalty box.
This is like watching us away from home, every match.
How have we gone backwards so quickly?

But it’s only football, I mean, it’s not life and death, is it?
I think a lot of fans have come on board in the last few years and this is some kind of existential crisis for them.
If you have been following Spurs since the 1970s it is hard to get too worked up about not being in the top 4. A lot of comments sound like they could have come from that lot up the road.

I think a lot of fans have come on board in the last few years and this is some kind of existential crisis for them.
If you have been following Spurs since the 1970s it is hard to get too worked up about not being in the top 4. A lot of comments sound like they could have come from that lot up the road.
I've been following since the 80s and the shit football offends me far more than not getting top four.

Funnily enough, my support for the club galvanises, the worse we get. I get tetchy and nervous, the closer we get to the summit.

It’s just going wrong. We have an underfunded squad, tired players, ridiculous injuries, a too defensive manager, a toxic atmosphere at home, no direction, the media on our back and bad fucking luck.

The BIG mistake was essentially given ourselves a two window transfer ban.

In professional sport, if you're not moving forward, you're going backwards. Hopefully we won't do that again! Squad needs to be replenished continually (I'm not talking about 6 or 7 signings a window btw, just a couple) or complacency kicks in.

Yeah. Can feel that. Walked out last night with a wry smile and a feeling of “and that is Tottenham Hotspur FC”.

As fans we have been here before. And surely will be there again.

People need to remember that ENIC have one role in life. Make money. They are an investment group. And they are doing it very well.

Anyone expecting us to break rules like city to win titles like City are supporting the wrong club.
We are about profit before glory. It’s a fact. That is what ENIC by definition do!!

Will see a massive churn on STs this summer and maybe a drop out of the top 4 the following season as we are that far off the pace right now.
I’m interested to see where our fanbase sits after that and selling sonny.

But hopefully can line up a few concerts and an American football team to keep those coffers overflowing.

Funnily enough, my support for the club galvanises, the worse we get. I get tetchy and nervous, the closer we get to the summit.

It’s just going wrong. We have an underfunded squad, tired players, ridiculous injuries, a too defensive manager, a toxic atmosphere at home, no direction, the media on our back and bad fucking luck.
Don't forget Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom