"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
I find it interesting that almost 1 in 10 people who have voted in Trunk's original poll find it offensive. And that's on a Spurs forum.

Imagine what the figure would be in the wider community, especially if they didn't understand the positive context of how Spurs fans use it in the stadium. One of my best friends is a Jewish Brighton fan. He finds it utterly offensive and hears it all the time outside pubs. He shouldn't have to put up with that.

But inside the stadium is a different story, in my opinion.

One of my best friends is a Jewish Brighton fan. He finds it utterly offensive and hears it all the time outside pubs. He shouldn't have to put up with that.

But inside the stadium is a different story, in my opinion.

Bloody hell, he's gotta put up with all the homophobic nonsense that away fans unleash at Brighton fans!
I guess the true indication of whether the 'reclaim the word' theory holds true would be if Brighton fans started calling themselves 'Gay' simply 'cos fans of other clubs have hurled abuse at them...
Though frankly, why should they? Most of their fan base is probably straight, so to start calling THEMSELVES gay would be ridiculou..... Hang on a second..... kinda interesting comparison we've got ourselves here...

I may have just talked myself out of my original point!

Bloody hell, he's gotta put up with all the homophobic nonsense that away fans unleash at Brighton fans!
I guess the true indication of whether the 'reclaim the word' theory holds true would be if Brighton fans started calling themselves 'Gay' simply 'cos fans of other clubs have hurled abuse at them...
Though frankly, why should they? Most of their fan base is probably straight, so to start calling THEMSELVES gay would be ridiculou..... Hang on a second..... kinda interesting comparison we've got ourselves here...

That's exactly his argument. He also wonders whether it would be acceptable for Bradford fans to call themselves P*ki Army. Doesn't sound too clever, does it?

That's exactly his argument. He also wonders whether it would be acceptable for Bradford fans to call themselves P*ki Army. Doesn't sound too clever, does it?
if spurs was renowned for its Asian fanbase and opposing supporters called us a bunch of p*kis then if it seemed like the right thing to do, I probably would call myself one. that's what it's all about standing together to take the offensive chant and throw it back at them. show them it means nothing.

only speaking for me, but if someone calls me gay (I'm not), my usual response is to steal a line from highlander (ask if they are they cruising for a piece of ass), or say "yes , what of it", or words to that effect.

Here we go again, the thought police at the FA are deciding whats offensive now! A WORD!!!
Well i'm fucking offended with the fucking FA, in 81 i stood on the Leppings lane terrace at Hillsborough while Spurs fans were being crushed, in a stadium without a fucking safety certificate. In 89 Liverpool fans went happy and hopefull to another semi final and 96 football fans never came home that day! And guess what? the ground still didn't have a safety certificate!!! Thats the responcibility of the FA, it has now been proven that the authorities covered up the events on that day and blamed it on the fans. We have the same thing with this issue, racist fans out there?? i know lets blame the Spurs fans for encouraging the racists. You really couldn't make this shit up!

I'm offended with the FA, and 96 families are still awaiting justice!

Forgive my ingnorance but what was the story there?

When he got sent off against us in 2006 him and Ledley had a wrestle in the net just prior to that and he alledgedly said something along the lines of "you lippy black monkey"

So let me get this clear... the FA don't want us to sing it?
Let's respect their wishes, and send them a direct message of apology on Saturday:
(to the 'tune' of You don't know what you're doing)
You don't want us to sing it...
Ya don't
want us to sing it...
Y'don't want us to sing it...
Yidon't want us to sing it...!!

Got it, ta... Thanks for making it abundantly clear what anti-semites Spurs fans are... and what we are and are NOT allowed to sing this weekend!

When he got sent off against us in 2006 him and Ledley had a wrestle in the net just prior to that and he alledgedly said something along the lines of "you lippy black monkey"
didnt he say in court over his racism charge that he had only been sent off for tackles?
even if he didnlt racially abuse ledley. it would imply that he perjured himself

The only way the club and the FA will stop us chanting "Yid" is what they did with the Sol Campbell chant.
Out of 3,000 people pick 10-20 out of a hat and then the press will do the rest of the work.

This time we will need to show more backbone though, let it go to court like what happened with the 2 who got acquitted. This is time to stand up and not be cowards.

The local Jewish community don't mind, we use Yid ourselves to shut racists up and they can't chuck us all out for singing. Let's sing it loud and proud there's sweet FA they can do.

Back
Top Bottom