"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Nearly every gooner I know is Jewish. But then I don't usually hear gooners giving out antisemitic insults.

It's mainly from Chelsea and west ham that I've heard it. Some of them because they are genuinely moronic far right sympathisers and others because they simply hate Tottenham for some reason and just use the term as a way of getting at us.

In time it will. Who uses the term coloured anymore of poof. There are lots of terms that have disappeared Iin everyday laungage . Removing it does work , it will soon be forgotten.

They have just been replaced though with new words for insult. Anyway i'm all for context. A word isn't offensive unless it is intended to be.

I call my friends twats, I call actual twats, twats. there is a difference.

The essence of my argument is , by removing the word we remove our association with the Jewish connection (which we are removed anyway). Then Chelsea and WH or whoever would have no reason to sing about Hitler and hissing. If they were to resort to that kind of abuse, then their actions would be seen as a clear racist taunt, they would have no reason to do it. Why do we need to hang on to a word that incorrectly identifies us as a club and supporters in 2013. You are correct, words do come in and out of fashion and meanings change. but its not the meaning its the association in this case.
Worldwide, an estimated 1.2 million people are killed in road crashes each year and as many as 50 million are injured. Projections indicate that these figures will increase by about 65% over the next 20 years unless there is new commitment to prevention.
You & Baddiel: We need to ban cars.
Me: We need to toughen punishments for irresponsible drivers, make roads safer, make cars safer.

Worldwide, an estimated 1.2 million people are killed in road crashes each year and as many as 50 million are injured. Projections indicate that these figures will increase by about 65% over the next 20 years unless there is new commitment to prevention.
You & Baddiel: We need to ban cars.
Me: We need to toughen punishments for irresponsible drivers, make roads safer, make cars safer.

I can not agree....
I would take responsibility and drive more carefully and campaign for better roads and safety and yes punish the irresponsable. We all have a choice to make? Understanding why this word should not be used, I support. Although I understand why supporters are attached to it, I understand their grievance. I just want Tottenham to embrace the future and this means change. WH and Chelsea are twats and always will be. The scum reinvented themselves in the 80's going all middle class twaty lefty posh. I had friends support them who i never knew were scum supporters, amazing. I feel we have kept true to what we are and this debate highlights that passion and commitment but nothing stays the same and we need to move on and loose this distraction.

I have to agree to a point, it was a fair article. However, "claiming our proud heritage" is reason to use it, is wrong to me.The statement and most arguments on here, wholeheartedly connect the word to being Jewish so promoting Tottenham Hotspur as a Jewish club, which it's not - anymore. For me it's zero tolerance when it comes to racism. The word is used innocently by supporters but it has been tarnished and used against us, which will never go away.

We were never 'a Jewish club'. We were and still are a club with big support from the Jewish community as well as from other communities besides white anglo-saxon (which is still the overwhelming majority as it is with all British clubs). It's a similar ethnic make-up to Woolwich, but significantly different from Chelsea and West Ham.

As for whether the goons have more Jewish fans than us...they probably do, but only because they have a lot more fans than us in general. I live in Tottenham and even here I see more goon shirts than Spurs ones. I reckon though, that we have a higher percentage of Jewish fans than any other team.

I just want Tottenham to embrace the future and this means change. WH and Chelsea are twats and always will be.
Most research says that one in every three children have experienced bullying. For some research, as many as 70% of all young people have experienced some form of bullying. One million kids are bullied every week, inside and outside of school.
You: Bullies are twats and always will be. If a kid is being bullied, he should stop going to school.
Me: Find a way to deal with bullies.

Specifically they're saying we're anti-semitic, rather than semiteophobic (err... made up word). So when we're singing "Jermaine Defoe, he's a Yiddo!!!" it's been because we dislike him, apparently.

So when we sing "we are the Yids, we are the Yids, we are, we are, we are the Yids...YIDS!".

...we're properly hating on ourselves?

Here's an alternative thought....
How about a rendition of Hava Nagila again tomorrow? Not ONE mention of the dreaded 'Y-word', who's gonna be offended by THAT?

Besides, it's a catchy tune, and even better, Erik Lamela, 'Robbie' Soldado AND Moussa Dembele's names slot perfectly in!

Most research says that one in every three children have experienced bullying. For some research, as many as 70% of all young people have experienced some form of bullying. One million kids are bullied every week, inside and outside of school.
You: Bullies are twats and always will be. If a kid is being bullied, he should stop going to school.
Me: Find a way to deal with bullies.
:wall: action speak louder than words.

I am not supporting the argument from others that it will stop the away supporters abuse, they need to be dealt separately. Which would be easier if we refuse the derogatory term. What I am promoting is removing the word from our supporters vocabulary. As Parmers Green Yid says_above "We were never 'a Jewish club'." so why the need to keep a reference that clearly is from and reflects a Jewish connection and Identity. Others see us as that !

:wall: action speak louder than words.

I am not supporting the argument from others that it will stop the away supporters abuse, they need to be dealt separately. Which would be easier if we refuse the derogatory term. What I am promoting is removing the word from our supporters vocabulary. As Parmers Green Yid says_above "We were never 'a Jewish club'." so why the need to keep a reference that clearly is from and reflects a Jewish connection and Identity. Others see us as that !

Maybe it's so that in a few generations' time, the word YID will NEVER be associated with Jews again... whether its' original origins were more colloquial, positive/friendlier than they clearly became in the past 40 years or not, the ridding of the tarnished "YID = JEW" version, and it being replaced by a new meaning (ie; SPURS FANS) could well be its' ultimate success story... you never know, stranger things have happened!
I mean, who knew that my Great Granny Gay would be have her name so ridiculed in her later life... and as for my Great Uncle Cocksuck... don't even go there!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist!
K.Sose 1995!
(I don't know why I put that last quote... it made more symbolic sense in my head!)

Back
Top Bottom