"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Reading some of the replies he's retweeting. "if anyone disagrees they've missed the point". Don't know what he said on talkSPORT but that seems utterly ridiculous to say he's right and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

how dare we question : the "inspired stand-up comedian who packed Wembley and gave us 'Three Lions', founder member of the legendary Mary Whitehouse Experience and partner of both Rob Newman and Frank Skinner. He also wrote for the BBC radio classic 'Week Ending' along with a host of contributors who included Ged Parsons, Oleg Stepaniuk, Nick & Roger Saunders, Michael Dines and Bob & Barbara Boulton."

He's like the liverpool of comedy and opinion, he hasn't been relevant for 20 years.

Did he say anything that held actual weight this time or did he regurgitate the same tired "if they stop chanting it it will stop the problem" bullshit again?
they've just played a brief snatch, and he did throw that line out "95% of them aren't jewish, so they are reclaiming a race hate word that doesn't concern them, and it means that west ham, Woolwich and all the others (didnt mention chelsea, funnily) can sing all this stuff, as far as as Nazism, using the excuse that's ok, they call themselves that"..or words to that effect

they've just played a brief snatch, and he did throw that line out "95% of them aren't jewish, so they are reclaiming a race hate word that doesn't concern them, and it means that west ham, Woolwich and all the others (didnt mention chelsea, funnily) can sing all this stuff, as far as as Nazism, using the excuse that's ok, they call themselves that"..or words to that effect
The cunts will still be cunts anyway.

And to put a positive spin on it, surely us non-jews saying it is good? Saying we're proud of the club's jewish background, and that it's okay to be a jew?

I'm not gonna say too much until i hear the whole interview....but following his apparent line on cause and effect, i really think he is living in cloud cuckoo land.
anyway, when the podcast goes live, Im sure I won't be the only person posting the link in this thread

Thanks @ Johnboy40 Johnboy40 and @ Sunglasses Ron Sunglasses Ron

I find it rich that the guy who blacked up and put a pineapple on his head to mock Jason Lee and did a "Phoenix From The Flames" for Avi Cohen that was utterly laced with Spurs references simply down to his Jewishness should be any kind of mouthpiece when it comes to offending people.

Thanks @ Johnboy40 Johnboy40 and @ Sunglasses Ron Sunglasses Ron

I find it rich that the guy who blacked up and put a pineapple on his head to mock Jason Lee and did a "Phoenix From The Flames" for Avi Cohen that was utterly laced with Spurs references simply down to his Jewishness should be any kind of mouthpiece when it comes to offending people.

I completely forgot about that
luckily, google image search has the evidence.

should anyone fancy reminding Mr Baddiel of his past in fighting racism....

lee2.jpg

22421506:jpeg_preview_large.jpg

Just found this

This is propaganda

1. This words is not shouted at jewish players for being jewish, like the P-word and the N-word was at players for being black or pakistani.
2. Frank Lampard starts talking about Tottenham supporters, and it ends with supporters to a n o t h e r team singing about Auschwitz and Hitler, then its cut to Spurs supporters chanting yiddo

Im gonna repost something i posted earlier in this tread

The Simon Wiesenthal center has published a list over the worlds biggest anti-Semites.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center (often abbreviated SWC), with headquarters in Los Angeles, California, was established in 1977 and named for Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal. According to its mission statement, it is "an international Jewish human rights organization dedicated torepairing the world one step at a time. The Center’s multifaceted mission generates changes through the Snider Social Action Instituteand education by confronting antisemitism, hate and terrorism, promoting human rights and dignity, standing with Israel, defending the safety of Jews worldwide, and teaching the lessons of the Holocaust for future generations

Nr 4 on the list is ''European (soccer) fans''

''the problem of anti-semitic abuse at soccer matches which until
recently has been limited to eastern europe, has been revived in western europe. the most serious situation has been a resurgence of anti-semitic chanting toward one particular team, tottenham hotspur, which is based in a traditionally Jewish section of london. in a recent match against a rival west ham united, sections of its fans chanted,adolf hitler’s coming for you” and “you’re getting gassed in the morning” and making hissing noises like the sound of a gas chamber. a reporter for the Telegraph said, “we are not talking about a few isolated crooners here.a significant proportion of west ham’s travelling support participated.“ Because Tottenham has the largest Jewish fan base in england, it has long been the target of anti-semitismso much so that the fans have adopted the slurs “yid” and “yiddo” as a way of deflecting abuse. ''

http://www.wiesenthal.com/atf/cf/{54d385e6-f1b9-4e9f-8e94-890c3e6dd277}/TT_2012_2.PDF

The cunts will still be cunts anyway.

And to put a positive spin on it, surely us non-jews saying it is good? Saying we're proud of the club's jewish background, and that it's okay to be a jew?

Tottenham hasn't got a jewish background, its was formed by christians and 98% of our fans are not jewish. It's always wrongly assumed that the club is jewish, they even said on the radio that Tottenham had a large jewish population? only 2.5 % of Haringey is jewish, 5,700 people!
Back in the early 70's away fans would make their way to Tottenham by train or car and many would pass through Stamford Hill, after seeing the orthodox jews they would make their anti jewish comments at Spurs fans. The NF were active at football grounds back then, West Ham, Chelsea, Millwall etc seemed to welcome them with open arms, they didn't last 5 minutes at Spurs which i'm very proud of.

The idiot David Baddiel got it all wrong by stating we cannot own the Yid word as the vast majority of Spurs fans are not jewish, he fails to see that the anti semetic slurs are aimed at ALL Spurs fans!! Over 40 years i have had to put up with these comments in nearly every football conversation. You can't watch a Spurs match in a pub without the Yid comments. If Spurs fans standing in solidarity with our fellow Spurs fans of all races and religions againt racist slurs is wrong, then the world is going fucking crazy. Have we earned the right to claim the yid word as our own? Too fucking right we have, it's our Spartacus stance.

I'M SPARTACUS Yid Army!

fair play to him, he doesnt leave chelsea out of the argument (although, of course, the most fascist set of supporters in london understand what he is trying to do and are improving): but his attitude is clearly "if they didn't use it, no one else would"

Just found this

Fucking hell. Lampard trying to teach the world about spurs fans?

#thinkagain

And those degenerates singing about Nazi's are blatantly not spurs fans.

West Ham or Chelsea cunts likely.

We won't be able to sing what we want for much longer. They're coming after us...

:paulinho:

He plucked the figure out of thin air, besides, it may only be 5 to 10 percent of Spurs fans are Jewish but it's probably 33-50% of Jewish football fans are Spurs fans.

We're Tottenham Hotspur, We'll sing what we want!

Not wanting to get on my high horse but this has really fucked me off so much!

Here is a telegraph blog by Spurs fan and editor of the Jewish Chronicle Stephen Pollard on why this is just bollocks

Here’s a new entrant to the pantheon of not-so-great ideas: to protect Jews from anti-Semitism, the Football Association has decided that thousands of Jews should be prosecuted for hate speech. (can't post the link, sorry)

Genius or what?

I’m a Spurs fan. I’m also Jewish. For various reasons – some geographic, some historic – we Jewish Spurs fans think of Spurs as "the Jewish team". Yes, we know lots of Jews support other teams. Yes, we know lots of Spurs fans aren’t Jewish. But to a Jewish Spurs fan – and to plenty of non-Jewish Spurs fans, too – we are indeed the Jewish team.

And as part of that identification, we call ourselves – proudly – the Yid Army. Not all of us, of course. But a very sizeable proportion.

It stems partly as a way of reclaiming the word Yid from those who shout it as an insult, in much the same way as some gay people call themselves queer.

It’s our word, and we take it as a badge of pride.

And when a player joins us, he becomes a Yiddo. Hence the chant, when Jermain Defoe scores for us, "Jermain Defoe, he’s a Yiddo".

As a Jew, I am genuinely uplifted when I hear tens of thousands of people – Jews and non-Jews alike – chanting the Y word.

Apparently, however, I am guilty of hate speech and should be handed a criminal record and banned from the games.

On Tuesday, the FA’s general secretary, Alex Horne, said that the word Yid “is likely to be considered offensive by the reasonable observer and considers the term to be inappropriate in a football setting.”

He went on to argue that “use of the term in a public setting could amount to a criminal offence, and leave those fans liable to prosecution and potentially a lengthy football banning order.”

I despair of these people. Is the general secretary of the FA really so deaf to context that he cannot tell the difference between people shouting the word as a term of endearment and pride, and a racist skinhead who means it as a form hate.

It’s the same with the n-word. If a black man or woman chooses to be described in such a way (I don’t want to spell it out precisely because it is so easy to take such an argument out of context) then is he or she guilty of hate speech?

Whereas if a BNP member is chanting "N*****s out", then clearly it is hate speech.

The point is pretty basic. Context matters.

I want to call my team the Yid Army. I want to our players to be called – by me and other Spurs fans, because it’s our right and our pride – Yiddos.

But when it’s spat out, alongside a hiss to mimic the gas chambers, then it’s hate speech.

It’s really not difficult to spot the difference.

I might take the FA a bit more seriously if they paid the slightest attention to that Chelsea hissing. Hissing might not be "speech" but it’s intention is as clear as any word.

Not a peep from the FA, however.

Instead, they are arguing that the best way to protect Jews from anti-Semitic abuse is to criminalise some of us.

Thanks, but I’ll look elsewhere for protection.

Sorry this may be a long post listening and commenting on bits as they come up

"The reason you're calling it the Y word is because me and my brother Ivor made a film called "The Y Word" "

So I'm not even 1 minute in and he's already taking ownership and making it about him before even addressing the issue being raised. I get the feeling I'm going to be fuming by the time I hit 13 minutes.

some bollocks about stats and then the usual y word encourages the abuse schtick

Firstly I was never asked by Baddiel or anyone if I am Jewish. I'd imagine no one else here was either so he can shove his "95% of Spurs fans aren't Jewish" shit straight back up where he talks from.

Oh the next is a fucking DOOZY

"I understand them saying they use it as a defense mechanism." Some comment referring to knowing why it started and then "But we've moved on from then"

We've moved on? If we had moved on you wouldn't have heard anti semitic abuse in a game between Chelsea and Villa you utter ringpiece! If we'd "moved on" there wouldn't be a need for films about it, there wouldn't be statements from the FA, Spurs and THST you complete tit.

We've raised awareness and it's used less at Chelsea since it was shown

Really? I guess that's why they've moved on to "Anton Ferdinand you know what you are" chants then. Oh and "used less" isn't solving the issue is it? His club tolerates racism on and off the pitch. He admits himself that the stewards did nothing....well how about getting your filthy shitty club to address the issue in the stands and then you won't hear any anti semitic abuse in the ground at all.

It's apparently not about us and then he states that he used to dread Spurs v Chelsea because of how our fans identifying themselves as Y word and Y word army would cause songs about Auschwitz

Thought it wasn't about Spurs fans?

TL DR - Baddiel is doing the same deflecting bullshit he did last year

Last edited:
Saturday. In the boozer's "Beers up if you hate Baddiel" and "Stand up if you hate Baddiel" in the ground. What about the Canaries/Tractor Boys/Delia's delights where will they stand?

Back
Top Bottom