"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Have to be honest we are not a 'jewish club' We were founded by Presbyterians and this all started in the early 80's and the first time I ever heard it was 1980 v wet spam. (could have been 79 but no earlier) So therefore we existed for nearly a hundred years without this tag. It was scholar that started it and of course after that we have had a string of jewish chairmen and board members but then who hasn't? One of the most 'english' of clubs, Leeds United were run and owned by Jews, and in fact there is a quote that says 'without the jews Leeds United would not exist' they had Leslie Silver long before we had Alan Sugar. It's also well known that woolwich have as many if not more jewish fans than us and had david dein and daniel fizman. Man Utd are owned by the glazers and most ironically of all both wet spam and the vermin from sw6 are run and funded by jews! These were the very teams fans who started all this against us! Personally it doesn't bother me and it is now so ingrained in the minds of people it will be tough to stop it but I think we as fans did the right thing by saying 'ok we'll call ourselves the yids, so fucking what!' We live in a world where every fucker gets 'offended' or 'disrespected'. I support Tottenham Hotspur - fuck all the politics!

Have to be honest we are not a 'jewish club' We were founded by Presbyterians and this all started in the early 80's and the first time I ever heard it was 1980 v wet spam. (could have been 79 but no earlier) So therefore we existed for nearly a hundred years without this tag. It was scholar that started it and of course after that we have had a string of jewish chairmen and board members but then who hasn't? One of the most 'english' of clubs, Leeds United were run and owned by Jews, and in fact there is a quote that says 'without the jews Leeds United would not exist' they had Leslie Silver long before we had Alan Sugar. It's also well known that woolwich have as many if not more jewish fans than us and had david dein and daniel fizman. Man Utd are owned by the glazers and most ironically of all both wet spam and the vermin from sw6 are run and funded by jews! These were the very teams fans who started all this against us! Personally it doesn't bother me and it is now so ingrained in the minds of people it will be tough to stop it but I think we as fans did the right thing by saying 'ok we'll call ourselves the yids, so fucking what!' We live in a world where every fucker gets 'offended' or 'disrespected'. I support Tottenham Hotspur - fuck all the politics!

You're right, but it doesn't matter because the Yid chants are reactionary

Can't help but feel that Baddiel's pushing this, as with the FA, doesn't really open this up for debate as much as it does unite Spurs fans against the idea of change.

In most cases, I think that the argument of, "This action could offend people," would be met with a, "Too fucking bad," from me. Just because an action can potentially cause upset doesn't mean you should refrain from it.

However, with the issue being potentially tinged with racism, it becomes more nuanced. However, as mentioned in numerous posts above - the FA and Baddiel being zero tolerance against us and saying that we've self-identified as the Jewish club, adopted the word 'Yid' and therefore the blame, and need for action, falls on us...well, I don't really see the fairness in that. Why should other fans be OK to abuse us by referring to us as a Jewish club, bringing out their fascist roots and flashing them around for everyone to see, but we can't take the identity and use it as a defence?

Ludicrous.

Intent is everything and both the FA and Baddiel have side-stepped that issue.

The equivalent example is a kid standing up to a bully - both have used bad language but the bully gets away scot free while the other kid gets detention for swearing.

In most cases, I think that the argument of, "This action could offend people," would be met with a, "Too fucking bad," from me. Just because an action can potentially cause upset doesn't mean you should refrain from it.

This, some people get offended by the term slut or slag, they need to get off their high horse.

I'd respect Baddiel a bit more if he engaged with people who are trying to debate the matter with him on twitter, instead of RT his supporters and BushHillSpurs

I have read a lot of the comments on this and can't understand the reasoning behind the cause? If we don't have Jewish supporters or are located in a Jewish area why refer to ourselves as Yids or Yiddos . If away supporters chant anti Jewish comments then wouldn't it be best to ignore them rather than endorse the anti comments by using the Yid term in return. I appricate supporters passions and the tradition with this but do feel we need to move on and get smart by dropping the Yid or Yiddo term. I would never call a Jewish person ( a stranger) face to face a Yid would you?

I have read a lot of the comments on this and can't understand the reasoning behind the cause? If we don't have Jewish supporters or are located in a Jewish area why refer to ourselves as Yids or Yiddos . If away supporters chant anti Jewish comments then wouldn't it be best to ignore them rather than endorse the anti comments by using the Yid term in return. I appricate supporters passions and the tradition with this but do feel we need to move on and get smart by dropping the Yid or Yiddo term. I would never call a Jewish person ( a stranger) face to face a Yid would you?
I find it pretty irrelevant whether or not we're truly Jewish. We are the "Jewish club" and nothing will change that.

Dropping the Yid term wouldn't be very effective either imo. Target the properly offensive chants first, sort that out and then there's a discussion to be had about our use of Yid.

There are good arguments for and against, but I feel now isn't the time

In time it will. Who uses the term coloured anymore of poof. There are lots of terms that have disappeared Iin everyday laungage . Removing it does work , it will soon be forgotten.

Anywhere else I may agree but this is primarily Chelsea and West Ham we're talking about. They are only a stage beyond cave paintings, stone tools and dragging women home by their hair

Back
Top Bottom