"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Saying "stop calling yourself yids and other people will stop the anti-semitism" is a bit like saying "stop being fat and you won't be bullied so much" - completely mis-identifying the problem. The anti-semitic abuse is the unacceptable part, rather than us identifying ourselves collectively and defiantly as the 'yid army'.

Also I think the "reclaiming" process is working, I know there's a range of ages on this board but if you were to ask a general person around my age (18-21) what a "yid" I genuinely think the majority would say "Spurs fan" - certainly before all of this flared up a few years ago I had no idea of its racial connotations.

And anyhow, it would be virtually impossible to totally eradicate the usage of the word amongst the 100,000 or so people that attend games every season.

I'd like to know how many official complaints about fans chanting "Yids" were made either to THFC, the police or TV channels broadcasting matches from WHL in the last decade.

If it turns out that there have been a lot of complaints then I'll reconsider my position on the matter. If there haven't been many / any then I'll continue to believe that it's only the FA and a couple of attention seeking minor celebs / wannabe politicians that see it as offensive.

Saying "stop calling yourself yids and other people will stop the anti-semitism" is a bit like saying "stop being fat and you won't be bullied so much" - completely mis-identifying the problem. The anti-semitic abuse is the unacceptable part, rather than us identifying ourselves collectively and defiantly as the 'yid army'.

Also I think the "reclaiming" process is working, I know there's a range of ages on this board but if you were to ask a general person around my age (18-21) what a "yid" I genuinely think the majority would say "Spurs fan" - certainly before all of this flared up a few years ago I had no idea of its racial connotations.

And anyhow, it would be virtually impossible to totally eradicate the usage of the word amongst the 100,000 or so people that attend games every season.

This could be said about many words, children of a younger age have been using the word 'Gay' without really understanding of its recent past history. But it's still received as offensive. If I were to ask my son to give me a list of racist terms against black people, he would struggle because the words/meanings have been lost. isn't that a good thing.

Most references on line make referance to Tottenham Hotspur when you look up the word Yid or Yiddo.
But we don't use it in association to the Jewish culture or community? I appreciate supporters do not like being told what to do or to say or change. I would be the same but on this I feel -
we need to take the higher moral ground and lead by example.

This could be said about many words, children of a younger age have been using the word 'Gay' without really understanding of its recent past history. But it's still received as offensive. If I were to ask my son to give me a list of racist terms against black people, he would struggle because the words/meanings have been lost. isn't that a good thing.

Most references on line make referance to Tottenham Hotspur when you look up the word Yid or Yiddo.
But we don't use it in association to the Jewish culture or community? I appreciate supporters do not like being told what to do or to say or change. I would be the same but on this I feel -
we need to take the higher moral ground and lead by example.

Quite apt you should mention the term "gay" as I just finished reading this. Don't be fooled by the URL Spurs feature heavily

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...me-a-dyke.-Only-my-close-gay-friends-can.html

the best thing about this is the fact the whole of WHL will be chanting YID ARMY 2moz as a big fuck u to the FA. and i for 1 will be 1 of them. They cant stop us singing what we want. Especially when they do Nothing to stop the spastic Spanner fans doing nazi salutes and hissing at us.

I think 'gay' is very different though because it's a synonym of homosexual, whereas 'yid' is a slang term (equivalent to 'mate' from what i've read here, which then evolved into a derogatory term for a jew). People identify themselves as gay and official organisations contain the word 'gay' so it's almost as if the word gay now has two meanings attached to it - which I think is what is happening with 'yid'. Yid- to me at least- now has two meanings. One meaning Spurs fan and the other as a derogatory term, it really is all in the context as gone over by countless other people previously.

Also I think you're being very naive about your son, most people will be able to easily rattle off 5-10 terms against black people. Once a word has a stigma attached to it (especially one which has been going for over 30 years such as 'yid') it's very, very difficult to reverse. It's certainly not an overnight process.

On a serious note.

Bruce Wayne is scared of bats.. due to a traumatic experience. So.. he calls himself the Batman.

Should Bruce Wayne be banned saying Batman as it being mean against bats, that he fears?

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE AND FUCK DAVID LIONEL BADDIEL

On a serious note.

Bruce Wayne is scared of bats.. due to a traumatic experience. So.. he calls himself the Batman.

Should Bruce Wayne be banned saying Batman as it being mean against bats, that he fears?

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE AND FUCK DAVID LIONEL BADDIEL
Are you implying people who call themselves the 'yid army' are scared of.. yids? :sandro:

In some sense we should be grateful that a few months have passed by without our fans being labelled racists or told they’re part of the problem when it comes to discrimination in football. It was nice while it lasted. A recent statement by the FA has once again thrown the issue of “the Y word” onto the front pages however, and a new chapter in this ridiculous saga looks set to open. This recent outburst from the FA comes […]

Continue reading...

So the “Y-word” debate has reared its head again with the FA releasing a statement saying that the word Yid “would be considered offensive by the reasonable observer” and that the term is “inappropriate in a football setting.” Cue the usual suspects lining up to stick the boot into the Tottenham fan base. The vile anti-Semitism of some of our rivals excused because many of us choose to use the term Yid when referring to our club. Hissing, songs about Auschwitz, […]

Continue reading...

Quite apt you should mention the term "gay" as I just finished reading this. Don't be fooled by the URL Spurs feature heavily

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...me-a-dyke.-Only-my-close-gay-friends-can.html

I have to agree to a point, it was a fair article. However, "claiming our proud heritage" is reason to use it, is wrong to me.The statement and most arguments on here, wholeheartedly connect the word to being Jewish so promoting Tottenham Hotspur as a Jewish club, which it's not - anymore. For me it's zero tolerance when it comes to racism. The word is used innocently by supporters but it has been tarnished and used against us, which will never go away.

I have to agree to a point, it was a fair article. However, "claiming our proud heritage" is reason to use it, is wrong to me.The statement and most arguments on here, wholeheartedly connect the word to being Jewish so promoting Tottenham Hotspur as a Jewish club, which it's not - anymore. For me it's zero tolerance when it comes to racism. The word is used innocently by supporters but it has been tarnished and used against us, which will never go away.
I disagree with you, but I have a lot of time for the way you've argued your case and appreciate where you're coming from.

Back
Top Bottom