Your Player of the Season 2021-22?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is it then?

• Hugo

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Doherty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reguilon

• D Sanchez

• Royal

• Ben 'Daddy' Davies

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Dier

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • Romero

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Hojbjerg

• Winksy

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Sess

• Skippy

• Bentancur

• Kulusevski

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Sonny

Votes: 127 76.5%
  • Harry

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Bergwijn

• Moura

• Scarlett

• Total voters
Yeah I don't really get it either. Dier has been solid this season and yes he has been consistent. But he hasn't really done anything remarkable or had too many outstanding games. Just many solid 7/8 out of 10 performances which he should be praised for.

Same case with Davies and Hojbjerg really... But for the Player of the Season, you want that something extra.

Romero has had that this season, but unfortunately he has missed too many games so he is an honourable mention but not a real contender in this case.

That leaves Kane & Son. Kane had his issues at the start of the season that we are all aware off, and with this being one of Son's best seasons where he has continued to lift us when we needed and relied on him at times.. then he has to be the man that gets the award.

It’s really obvious. I feel like people wanna don’t wanna go with the blatant choice. There’s really no reasonable argument to be made that Dier has been better than Son across the season.

Son is a legitimate shout for PL player of the season ffs, let alone just Spurs!

It’s really obvious. I feel like people wanna don’t wanna go with the blatant choice. There’s really no reasonable argument to be made that Dier has been better than Son across the season.

Son is a legitimate shout for PL player of the season ffs, let alone just Spurs!

Food for thought....

Do you remember how much of a fucking state we were in pretty much every game we played without Dier? ...Regardless of it being under Nuno or Conte.

Add to that Sonny having some really rancid performances and a couple of trademark bum spells.

....Let's not patronise people for thinking beyond the obvious and 'da goalz'.

Last edited:

79,3% has gone for the "blatant choice". Others may vote in jest, or to give a "shoutout" to someone they see as deserving of credit after a great season.

I agree that Son has been excellent and that he probably deserves to be named poty.

However, I personally voted for Hugo who I think is and has been a fantastic, crucially important, and underrated by many, captain, leader, and goalkeeper and star player for us. Previous years he's been getting some hate for making some costly and silly mistakes. This season he's been rock solid.

Not saying I disagree with Son as the obvious choice at all, just trying to provide some balance... There were plenty on here in Jan (I think) saying that Son needs to be dropped for a couple of games as he looked so off form and ineffective. As I say, that's not me, I never wanted him to be dropped, but we can't pretend he has been consistently great all season (no one has). Personally I think the poll gives a sensible representation of what I'd expect people's view to be - i.e. Dier has been solid, Kane is obviously a much better player than Son overall, Romero has looked incredible in the parts of the season he has played, etc, so a few people here and there are voting for players other than Son, but he is taking by far the lion's share of the vote. You can't expect 100% of fans to concentrate only on players who score goals and get assists, and they do of course have every right to their opinion too.

79,3% has gone for the "blatant choice". Others may vote in jest, or to give a "shoutout" to someone they see as deserving of credit after a great season.

I agree that Son has been excellent and that he probably deserves to be named poty.

However, I personally voted for Hugo who I think is and has been a fantastic, crucially important, and underrated by many, captain, leader, and goalkeeper and star player for us. Previous years he's been getting some hate for making some costly and silly mistakes. This season he's been rock solid.

Other people deserve shouts for the season they’ve had for sure. Dier & Davies for example deserve lots of credit for the season they’ve had.

But Son has been the box office magic and has delivered since match day 1. A couple of poor runs of form in between but he’s been productive across the season.

Lloris has been great lately but had a really dodgy period even this season where people were questioning him. Has really recovered though.

But Son has been the box office magic and has delivered since match day 1. A couple of poor runs of form in between but he’s been productive across the season.
This is the thing - he has had some very poor form at points of the season. That doesn't mean he's not our best player this season - but it's not as clear-cut as you make out, and I'm not sure why you seem to want to deny anyone having a different view to yours. :/ It's hard to deny that there are others who have been more consistent.

EDIT: I'd also say that, whilst he was missing in the early part of the season, Kane has put in some absolutely sublime performances in the second half of the season, and Kane at his best has been a million miles better than Sonny at his best - in my opinion of course. ;)

This is the thing - he has had some very poor form at points of the season. That doesn't mean he's not our best player this season - but it's not as clear-cut as you make out, and I'm not sure why you seem to want to deny anyone having a different view to yours. :/

EDIT: I'd also say that, whilst he was missing in the early part of the season, Kane has put in some absolutely sublime performances in the second half of the season, and Kane at his best has been a million miles better than Sonny at his best - in my opinion of course. ;)

People are allowed a different opinion, but my view is simply that it's very clear cut. Son is our only play nominated for PL player of the season for a reason. Everyone in our squad has had plenty of bad games/poor runs of form, but Son has banged them in all season. The man scored home & away vs Liverpool and City ffs, he's been a difference maker whereas Dier or Davies have been solid cogs in the machine.

I love Kane, I think he's our best player. But he effectively took a big part of the season off and that rules him out for me.

People are allowed a different opinion, but my view is simply that it's very clear cut. Son is our only play nominated for PL player of the season for a reason. Everyone in our squad has had plenty of bad games/poor runs of form, but Son has nailed it for us this season. the man scored home & away vs Liverpool and City ffs, he's been a difference maker whereas Dier or Davies have been solid cogs in the machine.

I love Kane, I think he's our best player. But he effectively took a big part of the season off and that rules him out for me.
Fair enough - for you it's clear cut, for me and a few other less so - we're all entitled to our opinions. Machines don't work if the cogs don't simply do their jobs week in week out - it's not all about the glory, the glory only happens if the cogs do their jobs, and those who do so consistently are often worth their weight in gold. ;) Don't get me wrong, Son is probably just about POTS for me too, but I can absolutely understand and respect the few people giving their vote to others.

Not trying to be argumentative btw - just trying to understand everyone's POV. :)

Last edited:
People are allowed a different opinion, but my view is simply that it's very clear cut. Son is our only play nominated for PL player of the season for a reason. Everyone in our squad has had plenty of bad games/poor runs of form, but Son has banged them in all season. The man scored home & away vs Liverpool and City ffs, he's been a difference maker whereas Dier or Davies have been solid cogs in the machine.

It really is quite clear cut. Theres just no reason to argue night is day just to stand out and have an opinion.

One thing this has made me think about is how important fitness and not being injured is. If you where to ask me who has been in the games they played the best I would be tempted to say both Romero and Skipp over Son and Kane at least in terms of pure consistency but Romero and in particularly Skipp have had a nightmare when it comes to injuries and thus I can’t vote for either of them.

For all that Hojbjerg gets derided he is constantly available and able to give 110%. Even if he isn’t first 11 next season he can be like a Milner for us, someone dependable to use even if it’s from the bench. All very well having 11 Romero level players but if they are injured all the time it fucks it up.

The POTY has to have played most games.

Dier has been a 7 out of 10 just about every game. He's been more solid than any of us could ever have expected.

Son's overall stats are great. But he's had a few games this season where he was absolutely appalling, and those stick in my mind.

Based on consistency over the season it's Eric Dier all day, every day for me. And I wanted him gone a long time ago.

Dier has been a 7 out of 10 just about every game. He's been more solid than any of us could ever have expected.

Son's overall stats are great. But he's had a few games this season where he was absolutely appalling, and those stick in my mind.

Based on consistency over the season it's Eric Dier all day, every day for me. And I wanted him gone a long time ago.

Whilst this maybe true those appaling games are countered with the fact that when he's been on it he's been absolutely sensational so it balances out for me.

I think it's harder for an attacking player to stay more consistent than a defender - look at Salah, Ronaldo and De Bruyne this season for example.

Strange season as we could get 71 pts and yet i dont feel anyone has been outstanding all season but players have played their part at various times like Skipp first half of the season, Romero second half, Kane had a great spell Feb to April. Overall i think Son is the right choice with Dier and Davies probably 2nd and 3rd.

My vote went to Dier. The switch to a back 3 has been awesome for our team and Dier is the boss. When he was injured /Covid our defence looked flaky as anything. This is Eric’s defence. I vote him for next captain.

Close 2nd is Sonny. I love his passion and his play. He has been immense this year. I loved when Harry was still down about no transfer, Sonny signed a new contract effectively taking him to the end of his career at WHL. Legend.

3rd goes to Hugo. Best keeper in the PL this year. Distribution remains suspects but if you want someone to save a shot that would otherwise be a goal, Hugo is the man. i Would love to see a statistical comparison of his shot stopping this year v other Keepers.

Honourable mentions to Kane, Davies, Romero, and Kulu

Back
Top Bottom