New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would have thought they'd be as thick as the turf pitch though (which must be at least a foot or so?)
This has just been laid at Hotspur Way, it's wafer thin......And just like carpet is rolled out.
DBqB5bLXoAAiuWF.jpg

DBqB5bJXkAA83o0.jpg

This has just been laid at Hotspur Way, it's wafer thin......And just like carpet is rolled out.
DBqB5bLXoAAiuWF.jpg

DBqB5bJXkAA83o0.jpg

I mean if you look at the animation (and generally the jist of how it would be IRL), if the side bits were that thin, you'd have a kerb of 8-12" down to the pitch (which I'm sure you wouldn't be allowed)

I mean if you look at the animation (and generally the jist of how it would be IRL), if the side bits were that thin, you'd have a kerb of 8-12" down to the pitch (which I'm sure you wouldn't be allowed)
The animation is not official, it was done by someone on SSC having reviewed the planning and architects drawings. The details are not known to anyone other than those involved.

I get your point, but like this season, White Hart Lane had astro turf around the perimeter of the pitch, which is 100% fake and reusable, so stand to reason the same will be in place. May be it too separates, with the pieces closest to the stands 'peeled' up and a decent sized portion closest to the touch line is in fact the part that is in the tray and that too is slid away, not sure if that makes sense. In essence the dividing line of what's in the tray, by definition what slides under the stand, doesn't have to be determined by the touchline chalk.

The animation is not official, it was done by someone on SSC having reviewed the planning and architects drawings. The details are not known to anyone other than those involved.

I get your point, but like this season, White Hart Lane had astro turf around the perimeter of the pitch, which is 100% fake and reusable, so stand to reason the same will be in place. May be it too separates, with the pieces closest to the stands 'peeled' up and a decent sized portion closest to the touch line is in fact the part that is in the tray and that too is slid away, not sure if that makes sense. In essence the dividing line of what's in the tray, by definition what slides under the stand, doesn't have to be determined by the touchline chalk.

Fair enough - it will be interesting to see how they put it into practice

Am I the only one worrying about the pitch quality with that three part extractable pitch. I don't care if the bottom 40 or 80 rows won't be able to see shitty american commercialball, it's a fucking football stadium and should focus on optimal pitch conditions for football.

Am I the only one worrying about the pitch quality with that three part extractable pitch. I don't care if the bottom 40 or 80 rows won't be able to see shitty american commercialball, it's a fucking football stadium and should focus on optimal pitch conditions for football.

I imagine they've done it that way round because it delivers the optimum outcome for both.

Under the stand they will have a huge hydroponics system. If the retractable fake pitch sat over the real one for days at a time I suspect that would be worse

Apparently they only knocked down the last stand at Upton Park in the last week or so, so I think we've moved quite quickly.
Ah! But I wasn't talking about the demolition process. I would agree that's been extremely rapid.
I'm just saying that progress on the new stadium since the Manchester Utd game five weeks ago
has to me seemed relatively slow given the long daylight hours we've had in that time.

Last edited:
I imagine they've done it that way round because it delivers the optimum outcome for both.

Under the stand they will have a huge hydroponics system. If the retractable fake pitch sat over the real one for days at a time I suspect that would be worse
I would imagine they would be using artificial lights to keep the pitch healthy when in storage. With such a facility we could have the best pitch in the country all year round.

Last edited:
The ability to 'move' playing surfaces is nothing new. MCG cricket square is constantly swapped in an out and has been done so for 20 years now.

You have to wait until the very end of the video for the reference of New White Hart Lane, but following on from a few announcements at the time of launching the Premium Seating stuff we mentioned that we were looking to capture the e-sports market. I guess that is also why we have been pushing the "most technologically advanced stadium" tag around for a while now, and how/why that's being pushed.

Here's a link to the full article

Carpet grass and astro isn't even 2 inches thick, never mind 8.

I'd be amazed if it was real grass, it's almost always astro which is can just be rolled up easily.

Carpet grass and astro isn't even 2 inches thick, never mind 8.

I'd be amazed if it was real grass, it's almost always astro which is can just be rolled up easily.

Again, so you'd have a kerb - unless the sliding pitch is also wafer thin (which it won't be, it'll probably be a foot or so)

I saw a truck on Euston road yesterday carrying some big stone panels remarkably similar to the
ones cladding the outside of the new stadium. The smaller excavator is currently eating into the
lower South stand.

Back
Top Bottom