Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't see what everybody else sees I think he's alright

He’s alright, yesterday he did almost everything right except two horrible moments that almost cost us a goal. One when he completely whiffed a clearance and the other when he undercooked a 5 yard sideways ball to Toby and let them in on goal.

He has to stop doing these things and use his brain for the entire game, he needs to play with authority. Toby and Jan play with a relaxed, nonchalant style but they always do the basics right. Sometimes Davinson seems to relax too much and it leads to basic errors.

He’s alright, yesterday he did almost everything right except two horrible moments that almost cost us a goal. One when he completely whiffed a clearance and the other when he undercooked a 5 yard sideways ball to Toby and let them in on goal.

He has to stop doing these things and use his brain for the entire game, he needs to play with authority. Toby and Jan play with a relaxed, nonchalant style but they always do the basics right. Sometimes Davinson seems to relax too much and it leads to basic errors.
You think? Like Davinson they've been every bit as erratic this season. Dav is basically a talented boy who has a habit of thinking he's stronger than he is and occasionally makes brain farts.

Not helped by a back line which doesn't know when to drop or push out (that's two goals in a row lost the same way).

You think? Like Davinson they've been every bit as erratic this season. Dav is basically a talented boy who has a habit of thinking he's stronger than he is and occasionally makes brain farts.

Not helped by a back line which doesn't know when to drop or push out (that's two goals in a row lost the same way).

I don’t think they have been as erratic as him. Obviously they’ve all made strange errors but in terms of general play you don’t really see Toby and Jan lose duels, mishit basic passes or let easy balls bounce over their heads in every single game.

I do agree that the back 3 does not suit him, that formation only worked with prime Wanyama and Dembele protecting Jan, Toby and Dier. We’ve looked horrible almost every time we’ve used it this season.

I don’t think they have been as erratic as him. Obviously they’ve all made strange errors but in terms of general play you don’t really see Toby and Jan lose duels, mishit basic passes or let easy balls bounce over their heads in every single game.

I do agree that the back 3 does not suit him, that formation only worked with prime Wanyama and Dembele protecting Jan, Toby and Dier. We’ve looked horrible almost every time we’ve used it this season.
A back three only seems to suit Jan and that's only because he's such a bloody accomplished player, still this year he has been suspect with players running in behind him. Dav makes big noticeable errors, but Toby makes plenty of small, but costly errors. A present, our defence looks as weak as it did when Poch first took over. It's disjointed, lacks leadership and is a cause for concern, possibly down to lack of a good defensive midfielder, maybe other reasons too.

He's 22yrs old, allow him some elements to his game that require polishing. Namely passing and a tendency to panic (but these are isolated).

Ajax set two key traps during their blitz in the first 25mins. 1. Press the fuck out of Wanyama 2. Press the fuck out of Sanchez whenever they on the ball.

By swarming all over these two players imparticular stopped us from doing anything when we briefly had the ball (so couldn't build anything) and also enable them to counter-press high up the pitch with overloads. Even the greatest players will struggle with such intense focus. This was acutely felt with Wanyama as he was completely on his own.

Once we sorted ourselves out after the first 25mins he was just fine, with the errant pass the only blot on his copybook. He is highly valuable to us with his pace (both Jan and Toby lack pace), he is our man that deals with the ball played behind us.

I thought Big Dave looked our weakest link in the back 3 for most of the first half. As many have noted though, he improved no end when we went to a flat back 4 and went on to have a very good second half.

Is this a young player, struggling with formations or have we bought a dud? Only time will tell. However, I’m willing to accept the former. Good coaching ‘should’ iron out these positional issues and playing with good players week in week out in the PL and CL will sort out the brain farts (you’d think).

I do know that he is quick and can rescue bad positioning; doesn’t back down from a physical challenge and is comfortable in the air.

While Jan has been a superstar this season, no one else (inc Toby) has covered themselves in glory in our defence - and more than any other ‘unit’ in a team, a solid, composed defence with all members playing well and in unison is the ideal and we have been way off (GK, full backs, CH’s and CDM’s).

For me has two attributes that are very worrying. 1, I feel he switches off sometimes and then relies on his pace to get himself out of trouble. I'm sure that's been fine at lower levels but at the top end that will just not cut it.

2, his technical ability looks pretty below par. He doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet unless he has 20 yards of space. Considering we try playing the ball about it's quite a glaring weakness.

I fucking HATE 3 at the back.

I can see why Poch as played it so much this season due to our injuries in midfield.

To me when playing a back 3, all 3 CBs don't take responsibility (except Jan), they think it's ok there's 3 of us here, the other lad will cover me.

Sanchez will be fine, I have no problem with him, yes the odd bit of switching off, but the more he plays the better he'll get, he's still young.

Sanchez is bang average. No positional sense and lost count amount times he ball watches and let's opp players drift off him from crosses. Gets done on the turn then relies on his pace. Doesn't cover his partner, pub player on the ball.

I just think he isn't best suited to a back three.

He looked brilliant last season alongside Vertonghen when he had a substantial period of game time. I mean just go read back through the thread at times from last season to see the praise he's getting.

I just think he isn't best suited to a back three.

He looked brilliant last season alongside Vertonghen when he had a substantial period of game time. I mean just go read back through the thread at times from last season to see the praise he's getting.

Agree. In a back three there is a tendency to defer to someone else because there is a spare man, whereas a normal two CB system means they have to be committed to everything they do.

Comparing Dav to TA & JV like they dont have 7/8+ years more development and experience under their belt... Never seen Jan or Toby make a cardinal error?

I thought Big Dave looked our weakest link in the back 3 for most of the first half. As many have noted though, he improved no end when we went to a flat back 4 and went on to have a very good second half.

Is this a young player, struggling with formations or have we bought a dud? Only time will tell. However, I’m willing to accept the former. Good coaching ‘should’ iron out these positional issues and playing with good players week in week out in the PL and CL will sort out the brain farts (you’d think).

I do know that he is quick and can rescue bad positioning; doesn’t back down from a physical challenge and is comfortable in the air.

While Jan has been a superstar this season, no one else (inc Toby) has covered themselves in glory in our defence - and more than any other ‘unit’ in a team, a solid, composed defence with all members playing well and in unison is the ideal and we have been way off (GK, full backs, CH’s and CDM’s).
You say Davinson is quick but I feel that he's lost a yard of pace. I've seen him outpaced a few times lately. My perception could be wrong though and I'd be interested in what other people think.

Back
Top Bottom