Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe it's just me; but a player that young and valuable running their deal down to leave on a free doesn't speak very well of the individual.

Why?

I mean Donnarumma is a slightly different case in that he's a Milan boy through and through, and they were already paying him handsomely, and they are a team doing well right now, so what he did was bit wanky (but his agent is Mino Raiola).

But generally speaking why should players show loyalty to clubs, which would not show them the same loyalty if they didn't think they were up to standard they wanted, or needed to cash on them for financial reasons?

Why?

I mean Donnarumma is a slightly different case in that he's a Milan boy through and through, and they were already paying him handsomely, and they are a team doing well right now, so what he did was bit wanky (but his agent is Mino Raiola).

Well, I very much had this instance in mind....

IMO Raiola is a factor; not an excuse.

But generally speaking why should players show loyalty to clubs, which would not show them the same loyalty if they didn't think they were up to standard they wanted, or needed to cash on them for financial reasons?

Think about it at a less glamourous level of the game.... Whether the player makes it or not, the clubs still grants the opportunity, nurtures and coaches them... The odd gems coming through the system once in a while, generating a decent fee helps the wheels go round.

Last edited:
Well, I very much had this instance in mind....

IMO Raiola is a factor; not an excuse.

Think about it at less glamourous level of the game.... Whether the player makes it or not, the clubs still grants the opportunity, nurtures and coaches them... The odd gems coming through the system once in a while, generating a decent fee helps the wheels go round.

I don't think the issue is the player, it's the system.

Clubs often just cut young players free after years if they don't fancy them.

I don't think the issue is the player, it's the system.

Clubs often just cut young players free after years if they don't fancy them.

Of course the entire financial ecosystem of the game is fucked, but unless we can flip a switch and reset certain aspects of it many clubs are dependent on such revenues to compete or even stay afloat.

Of course the entire financial ecosystem of the game is fucked, but unless we can flip a switch and reset certain aspects of it many clubs are dependent on such revenues to compete or even stay afloat.

That ignores the point I made though, which is that why should we be angry with kids who run a contract down to secure a better move, when clubs are happy cut them loose if they deem them not good enough - which happens far more.

That ignores the point I made though, which is that why should we be angry with kids who run a contract down to secure a better move, when clubs are happy cut them loose if they deem them not good enough - which happens far more.

I already address that..... The club invests in their youth.

As I said "many clubs are dependent on such revenues to compete or even stay afloat", but there's also flipside which is that players also need clubs in order hone their craft and ply their trade.

You don't think Judas double-fucked us when he left? Tribalism aside, it wasn't his destination that made his actions so abhorent.

Last edited:

That's the club speculating. That's their choice. And then cuts the vast majority of them loose when they aren't deemed good enough. Also their choice.

As I said "many clubs are dependent on such revenues to compete or even stay afloat", but there's also flipside which is that players also need clubs in order hone their craft and ply their trade.

So it's a fair trade off then, no?

You don't think Judas double-fucked us when he left? Tribalism aside, it wasn't his destination that made his actions so adhorent.

Campbell was a pretty unique case. Bullshitting in interviews about staying and signing a new deal was wanky, especially when he then went to Woolwich. But the club were stupid to let his deal get to one year as well (though this was a messy time with ENIC buying into Spurs in the middle of that season).

But generally, I have no problem with players running their contract down to facilitate a better deal for them. As much as what Campbell did was wanky, I have sympathy for players when running down their contracts and how they handle the media. Football fans are such babies generally, they'll slaughter the guy every week if he tells the media he's running his contract down. Look at Eriksen, the fella had given this club the best years of his career, and been a major contributor to our success/performances, and been paid less than many of the squad. Treatment he got from our fans was embarrassing.

That's the club speculating. That's their choice. And then cuts the vast majority of them loose when they aren't deemed good enough. Also their choice.

So it's a fair trade off then, no?

Campbell was a pretty unique case. Bullshitting in interviews about staying and signing a new deal was wanky, especially when he then went to Woolwich. But the club were stupid to let his deal get to one year as well (though this was a messy time with ENIC buying into Spurs in the middle of that season).

But generally, I have no problem with players running their contract down to facilitate a better deal for them. As much as what Campbell did was wanky, I have sympathy for players when running down their contracts and how they handle the media. Football fans are such babies generally, they'll slaughter the guy every week if he tells the media he's running his contract down. Look at Eriksen, the fella had given this club the best years of his career, and been a major contributor to our success/performances, and been paid less than many of the squad. Treatment he got from our fans was embarrassing.

Donnarumma.... Judas...... Eriksen..... Dave in the Conference.....

Every case is gonna be unique when you break it down. Plenty of them will not reflect well on the player (imo)... Especially these days the way agents are injected into the eco-system.

You don't think Judas double-fucked us when he left? Tribalism aside, it wasn't his destination that made his actions so adhorent.
It was his destination for me and I would say most.

it's huge for a goal keeper !! Lloris got only 5.2M / year and Neuer 7.6M only De Gea got something really indecent 20M

Maybe De Gea gave me a false impression that GK wages were creeping up..... Seems so weird to me that such an important position remains so undervalued.

Last edited:
Donnarumma.... Judas...... Eriksen..... Dave in the Conference.....

Every case is gonna be unique when you break it down. Plenty of them will not reflect well on the player (imo)... Especially these days the way agents are injected into the eco-system.

Sure, each on it's merits, but generally speaking, what's the problem with a young player seeing out his contract and refusing to sign a new one?

As far as agents go, again, I think the problem is football's governance, that allows them to act (or be involved) for both (or sometimes three) parties in a deal, other than that, I've got no problem with agents in general, as long as they are doing their job well.

Back
Top Bottom