Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Based on these numbers.. we have the 4th best because of stadium capacity and far too many empty seats on average compared to everyone else.

For eg liverpool and newcastle slightly lower attendance than us but 1.8% and 4.4% empty seats for them while 12% empty seats for us.

Doubt these numbers are real anyway.

Re the above. Everyone knows that Woolwich announce tickets sold as attendance not bums on seats and if Man City have really averaged 52.6k per game i will be amazed.
Oh ye of little faith

FRANCE-MAY-01-The-Europe-largest-celluloid-window-mannequins-wharehouse-in-Maisons-Alfort-France-in.jpg

Onus is now on Levy to help deliver a decent transfer window, people have had enough frankly.

Making big money bids for players and then not seeing it through only serves to reinforce people’s perceptions of “shambition”.

The other issue is if we can’t get any players for a sensible price and we sensibly don’t do any business then people aren’t going to accept that. Levy has painted himself into a corner with his actions over the years.

The club have no ethos regarding managers, style of play and types of players bought. Chopping and changing have only served to make things messy, again another poor decision.

I think you're being a bit "the sky is falling" about the whole deal, TBH.
I accept that contention. The sky is falling.

Their methodology is literally [(Wikipedia Capacity) - (Avg Attendance)] * Cheapest Ticket Available
So clearly it's very significantly UNDER-counting the financial impact.

Says some pretty shitty things about the support of this club, if you ask me. We've been far better in the past half decade plus than both of those clubs. We're currently having a better season than them. We have a better stadium than them. Our cheapest available tickets are cheaper than theirs. Yet we throwing a strop and not turning out to support the club.

Just saying. When you point a finger, three point back at you and all.
Hey man, I'm just observing the business currents here.

Getting 62k in and out of the Tottenham High Road (I've only ever been in the 36k WHL era which itself was an insane crunch of transit and traffic) is no mean feat.

Becomes an impossible one when your business practices are, above all else, a cynical open insult to your customers.

But it's the green shoots of hope.

The stadium is getting emptier. Those that go are singing Levy OUT at the top of their voices. The owners are on a greasy pole and I don't think they'll have the will or the stomach to cling on as this starts snowballing into something bigger.

Who knows, they may even be actively looking for a way out as we speak?

I'm actually feeling more optimistic as a Spurs fan than I have in a long time
Has an owner ever sold a billion pound asset because the plebs sang mean songs at them? I think you overestimate how much these sorts of people care about public opinion. They're capitalist corporate oligarchs, they don't give a fuck if you like them. In fact, they're probably inclined to believe that if you like them then they're doing something wrong. ENIC didn't buy Spurs to stroke their ego or to be loved.

Has an owner ever sold a billion pound asset because the plebs sang mean songs at them? I think you overestimate how much he these sorts of people care about public opinion. They're capitalism corporate oligarchs, they don't give a fuck if you like them. In fact, they're probably inclined to believe that if you like them then they're doing something wrong. ENIC didn't buy Spurs to stroke their ego or to be loved.
They probably did do it for the ego a bit... owning a big football club looks good. The more successful the club, the better you look. Pretty sure ego is part of it.

Has an owner ever sold a billion pound asset because the plebs sang mean songs at them? I think you overestimate how much these sorts of people care about public opinion. They're capitalist corporate oligarchs, they don't give a fuck if you like them. In fact, they're probably inclined to believe that if you like them then they're doing something wrong. ENIC didn't buy Spurs to stroke their ego or to be loved.
Who says it’s a billion pound asset? Mike Ashley only got 300M for Newcastle.

People singing mean songs are a byproduct of the club’s value declining.

Today it’s a multibillion pound asset, probably, just about. But the trendline is straight into the toilet.

If it follows the same trajectory as our stadium naming rights over the past four years, Levy will have torpedoed a leak in Lewis’ megayacht.

They probably did do it for the ego a bit... owning a big football club looks good. The more successful the club, the better you look. Pretty sure ego is part of it.
The big football club Joe has been to approximately 4 times in 20+ years? Nah. When ENIC bought Spurs, they bought the most attainable PL stable London football club on the market at a time when international broadcasting was in its infancy, which would soon turn a national league into an internationally dominating revenue king.

Its only ever been an asset to Joe. Thats why he never comes and is never involved. That's why he doesn't care what the club does, so long as its self sufficient and continuing to appreciate with the sport/league.

I think they're looking for the exit. But not because they give a shit what anyone thinks about them or because they think they've hit a dead end, but because the value of football is plateauing and there's better markets to look for growth. ESL, notwithstanding. So long as they believe they can get into the ESL, they'll wait until after that big value jump to sell up.

Who says it’s a billion pound asset? Mike Ashley only got 300M for Newcastle.

People singing mean songs are a byproduct of the club’s value declining.

Today it’s a multibillion pound asset, probably, just about. But the trendline is straight into the toilet.

If it follows the same trajectory as our stadium naming rights over the past four years, Levy will have torpedoed a leak in Lewis’ megayacht.
You're exaggerating, I'm sorry, but its true. Spurs are worth well more than a billion pounds. And look at the evolution of the sport in the past 20 years - supporters are part of the equation, but they aren't the biggest part of it anymore.

The value of Spurs isn't tanking, and singing mean songs at Levy ain't going to change the financial model.

The big football club Joe has been to approximately 4 times in 20+ years? Nah. When ENIC bought Spurs, they bought the most attainable PL stable London football club on the market at a time when international broadcasting was in its infancy, which would soon turn a national league into an internationally dominating revenue king.

Its only ever been an asset to Joe. Thats why he never comes and is never involved. That's why he doesn't care what the club does, so long as its self sufficient and continuing to appreciate with the sport/league.

I think they're looking for the exit. But not because they give a shit what anyone thinks about them or because they think they've hit a dead end, but because the value of football is plateauing and there's better markets to look for growth. ESL, notwithstanding. So long as they believe they can get into the ESL, they'll wait until after that big value jump to sell up.
It's part of a portfolio. You don't have to visit your properties. It's the size of your portfolio that gives you kudos. The more money and power you have, the better you look. They've made a lot of money on their investment. I can't tell you what Joe feels or doesn't ... but I think ego is important to big tycoons... otherwise they wouldn't be big tycoons... They must care a bit about the club, otherwise they would have just let it decline... it hasn't declined overall... maybe the team has declined in the last 3 years... but over 20 years, the club as a whole has not...

I think they're looking for the exit.....So long as they believe they can get into the ESL, they'll wait until after that big value jump to sell up.
Even though these are slightly contradictory, I agree with you on both counts.

I think their vision is to spin the club off from their real estate portfolio and be real estate barons in a gentrifying Tottenham anchored by a club somebody else is losing money to push on. Which is a pretty smart strategy all things considered. Real estate is a much better business than football.

And look at the evolution of the sport in the past 20 years - supporters are part of the equation, but they aren't the biggest part of it anymore.
The definition of "supporters" has changed, that's certainly true. But actual workaday people giving a shit about the games still underlies every single cent in the industry and the whole sports world forgets that at its peril.

The value of Spurs isn't tanking
Spurs ability to generate revenue is tanking, and the value of the club is derivative of its ability to generate revenue.

Where we sit now will look like almost unimaginable heights in three years.

Whatever it would take to properly back Conte will drain from the asset value of the club threefold if they don't.

Oh what the heck, one more time:
61rxqu.jpg

Levyism is mid-brain and it's been mid-brain for over a decade at this point. Mid-brain loses money.

I have said this before but whilst ENIC are in the process of developing properties in the area they cannot afford a new owner at the Football club to object at planning meetings. ENIC doo not invest or take money out of the club.
Now Levy is another matter and he is allegedly taking a back seat in negotiations and that still remains to be seen. He should not be antagonizing the other club. Yes he is still involved in budget setting but so would any owner.

It's part of a portfolio. You don't have to visit your properties. It's the size of your portfolio that gives you kudos. The more money and power you have, the better you look. They've made a lot of money on their investment. I can't tell you what Joe feels or doesn't ... but I think ego is important to big tycoons... otherwise they wouldn't be big tycoons... They must care a bit about the club, otherwise they would have just let it decline... it hasn't declined overall... maybe the team has declined in the last 3 years... but over 20 years, the club as a whole has not...
Why would the "just let it decline"? Its an investment.

My point is, if Joe cared in the least he'd make at least an annual or semi-annual trip. The Glazers do. Henry does. Abramovich regularly turned up when allowed. Kroenke makes appearances. Joe has been to Tottenham a handful of times in 20 years, and his trips likely had more to do with important meetings or events in the city pertaining to his many other interests. Spurs is an item in a portfolio to him. Might as well be Tottenham Bottleworks. He cares that its self sufficient and appreciates in value, thats it.

Levy, I think, has a genuine concern for the club, being that its almost wholly his net worth and life's work at this point. But he has to operate within the confines of his employer, who has pretty much set the requirement that zero outside investment will be made in the club.

Even though these are slightly contradictory, I agree with you on both counts.

I think their vision is to spin the club off from their real estate portfolio and be real estate barons in a gentrifying Tottenham anchored by a club somebody else is losing money to push on. Which is a pretty smart strategy all things considered. Real estate is a much better business than football.

The definition of "supporters" has changed, that's certainly true. But actual workaday people giving a shit about the games still underlies every single cent in the industry and the whole sports world forgets that at its peril.

Spurs ability to generate revenue is tanking, and the value of the club is derivative of its ability to generate revenue.

Where we sit now will look like almost unimaginable heights in three years.

Whatever it would take to properly back Conte will drain from the asset value of the club threefold if they don't.

Oh what the heck, one more time:
61rxqu.jpg

Levyism is mid-brain and it's been mid-brain for over a decade at this point. Mid-brain loses money.
I'm giving you a funny. But the reality is Levy gets a lot of stick from people who think they know better. But the man built a massively valuable financial entity from rubble. Before that, he built a fortune that allowed him to buy his spot at the table.

Meanwhile you, and I, post here while ducking work allocated by our employers who pay us on a semi weekly basis to be their pawns.

I'm not about to let hubris run wild with me and call Levy mid-brain. The bloke doesn't have to buy a subscription or tickets, he owns the shop. We're probably the ones guilty of not understanding what the fuck is going on. He might not know football, but he knows business better than you or I ever will.

Back
Top Bottom