Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No not officially, its just wild speculation at this point.
It's a bit more than wild speculation , And that is why it should be nipped in the bud. The same way Ben Davies felt the need to clear his name from rumours..
I'm sure he, his family, his teammates, his friends have all seen the widely spread rumours and surely they would want his name cleared if he was innocent, as this is more than damaging to any individual.

And that is why it should be nipped in the bud. The same way Ben Davies felt the need to clear his name from rumours..
I'm sure he, his family, his teammates, his friends have all seen the widely spread rumours and surely they would want his name cleared if he was innocent.

No club's gonna react to rumours until their player has been officially charged. For example if the club spoke out defending the player in question and put his name out there everyone will pre judge him regardless of what the law states about innocent until proven guilty AND then if the player is found guilty it's a seriously bad look for te club.

It's an alleged incident remember which isn't confirmation of anything.

No club's gonna react to rumours until their player has been officially charged. For example if the club spoke out defending the player in question and put his name out there everyone will pre judge him regardless of what the law states about innocent until proven guilty AND then if the player is found guilty it's a seriously bad look for te club.

The club maybe, but his family, friends, colleagues? they would be shouting from the rooftops if he was innocent. The same as we all would if it was us accused.

I don't think any one has said he's guilty or innocent, what has been said is it has to be him arrested. There may well be nothing in it but surely all who knows him would not want to see him go through this if a simple statement could put a stop to it.

Yeah, think Liverpool and the Suarez t-shirts...

The club maybe, but his family, friends, colleagues? they would be shouting from the rooftops if he was innocent. The same as we all would if it was us accused.

I don't think any one has said he's guilty or innocent, what has been said is it has to be him arrested. There may well be nothing in it but surely all who knows him would not want to see him go through this if a simple statement could put a stop to it.

Nonsense.

You’ve been told enough times now. There’s nothing official so there’s nothing to make a statement about. Yet.

Imagine Man City came out and backed Mendy publicly when he got arrested on his first rape charge...and then all the subsequent charges came out 1 by 1 (think he's on his 9th now) How bad would Man City look right about now?

Regardless of this you're being a little naive here, a simple statement wouldn't put an end to any speculation because people will still speculate about who it would be...in this instance if Woolwich put out a statement defending their player people would turn their attention elsewhere and think it's a player from another team like Spurs for example, would you then expect Spurs to put out a statement defending their players that match the description?

It’s not, there is a trail of breadcrumbs leading to one player. It is possible it is someone else but would be a surprise at this point.

The media has let too much out.

Yes it is, it's speculation until its official despite what clues have come out in public, more to the point as I said it caused more issues if said clubs comes out and backs the player in public for many reasons I stated in my previous post.

The thing with locking threads is this, over on wooly mania they locked the thread. Then the next day someone posted that false tweet about him being in Germany with the squad, in the players own thread. Plenty of posters are then relieved to hear this news. They then shut that thread. So last thing lots of fans read was that it wasn't him, so they'll go around telling other people this news, even though it was proven to be false.
Better to have some discussion open about the matter, as long as it's a reasonable discussion. Locking down the discussion will only result in further false information being spread

Yes it is, it's speculation until its official despite what clues have come out in public, more to the point as I said it caused more issues if said clubs comes out and backs the player in public for many reasons I stated in my previous post.

They don’t have to publcially do it. Rumours around Spurs where quickly shut down unofficially by source close to the club. All the trail leads one way because of the info the papers and one journalist in particular released.

Not saying Woolwich need to officially do it but they could shut it down using other means if their guy was not the one arrested.

Nonsense.

You’ve been told enough times now. There’s nothing official so there’s nothing to make a statement about. Yet.
I've been told?

No there is nothing official but if the individual is suffering then come out and say it's not me i've done nothing. which would stop the pain and suffering. It's not that difficult.

They don’t have to publcially do it. Rumours around Spurs where quickly shut down unofficially by source close to the club. All the trail leads one way because of the info the papers and one journalist in particular released.

Not saying Woolwich need to officially do it but they could shut it down using other means if their guy was not the one arrested.
Indeed. The club pays the individual a lot of money and if he is not able to travel to an important pre-season friendly then they need to put the record straight.
Unfortunately rumours will be avaialble due to heavy social media traffic, all family and friends read it and it can't be nice for them.

Indeed. The club pays the individual a lot of money and if he is not able to travel to an important pre-season friendly then they need to put the record straight.
Unfortunately rumours will be avaialble due to heavy social media traffic, all family and friends read it and it can't be nice for them.

Media shouldn’t have released such detailed info. You essentially have a game of Cluedo, it’s a mess.

The thing with locking threads is this, over on wooly mania they locked the thread. Then the next day someone posted that false tweet about him being in Germany with the squad, in the players own thread. Plenty of posters are then relieved to hear this news. They then shut that thread. So last thing lots of fans read was that it wasn't him, so they'll go around telling other people this news, even though it was proven to be false.
Better to have some discussion open about the matter, as long as it's a reasonable discussion. Locking down the discussion will only result in further false information being spread
Absolutely this, the only way to ensure the spread of real information is to allow the internet to run wild...

:nunothumb:

Well yes that's one way but N17 was arguing that the club should put out an official statement and I was disagreeing.

Even if an unofficial statement came out it doesn't put an end to the rumours or speculation.

Well yes that's one way but N17 was arguing that the club should put out an official statement and I was disagreeing.

Even if an unofficial statement came out it doesn't put an end to the rumours or speculation.
It would if any involvement was categorically denied. That's exactly how you put a stop to the individual's suffering.
As mentioned, Ben Davies felt the need as he didn't want his family to be put through the mill.

Fair enough. If he did it then they are fucked either way, silence or admittance. The media have made one guy prime suspect by leaving clues around. It’s not an easy situation, personally If he is not the person I would get the word out via back channels to end the speculation.

Fair enough. If he did it then they are fucked either way, silence or admittance. The media have made one guy prime suspect by leaving clues around. It’s not an easy situation, personally If he is not the person I would get the word out via back channels to end the speculation.
Exactly that.

I'm trying to say, put a stop to the rumours by clearing him (if that's possible) by remaining silent is adding fuel to a pretty large fire.

Back
Top Bottom