Which African team will be the first to win the World Cup?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which African team will be the first to win the World Cup?

• Senegal

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Nigeria

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Cameroon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Egypt

• Ghana

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • South Africa

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Ivory Coast

• Other (specify)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • None (never will)

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Morocco

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters
At some point in the future, an African team will win the world cup. Who will be the first? Or do you think the European\American dominance will prevail indefinitely?

Do you think an Asian team will leapfrog the Africans to the title?

I can't really see it in my lifetime, I just don't think the infrastructure is there. Africa does produce a lot of talent, but the vast majority are extremely poor nations with a multitude of issues, from frequent wars, extreme poverty, illness, famine etc. All of these issues contribute to very little opportunity, with likely a mass of talent dying or just being missed, so the chances that any one African country produce sufficient talent to consistently beat the best the rest of the World can offer is very slim, IMHO.

It's worth noting as well that there are a lot of players, of African descent, that choose to take another nationality when they turn professional, particularly those that are good enough to start for the top nations, so many of those African nations can lose the type of player that could make a difference.
It would be great for Football as a whole if an African nation did win the WC, I just think the odds are stacked against them.

It's a knock put tournament. It could easily happen if Mane had been fully fit for Senegal this tournament they are capable of beating both England and France.

I think anyone crazy enough to make predictions over tens of years let alone hundreds has lost it. Could be some Maradona level kid who is six in Dakar right now. Then you just need a good draw and four soild pros and couple journey men and another couple of top players. After that Greek side won the Euros anyone can win anything.

If any nation was going to do it then at the time I thought it might be Ivory Coast with the likes of Drogba and Yaya Toure along with a host of other top players playing all over Europe. Sadly they were pretty underwhelming for whatever reason.

I said Nigeria and my justification is quite simple. They have a young, booming population. When you have that, you surely have a large pool of elite athletes and if those athletes play football and get development, their program should explode.

I said Nigeria and my justification is quite simple. They have a young, booming population. When you have that, you surely have a large pool of elite athletes and if those athletes play football and get development, their program should explode.
They probably should have won it in 1998 with the talent they had at that time.

I think if Nigeria managed to convince all the promising players of Nigerian heritage at a young age to play for them then probably them.

Tomori, Alaba, Eze, Abraham, Saka, Dele just to name some off my head. Probably loads more.

I think if Nigeria managed to convince all the promising players of Nigerian heritage at a young age to play for them then probably them.

Tomori, Alaba, Eze, Abraham, Saka, Dele just to name some off my head. Probably loads more.
Well, different topic, but I think players have too much leeway in choosing who to play for as it is. Itโ€™s always lesser programs that suffer and it just makes the good countries better.

Iโ€™d like to see Algeria win itโ€ฆ simply because Iโ€™ve been there a few times. Actually I really donโ€™t give a shit but I guess it would be good for world football? Hard to see it any time soon with the money and infrastructure in Europe, US, China etc, and the culture of South America.

Ivory Coast had a tidy little team for a bit with Drogba, Kolo & Yaya, Keita, Tiote, Kalou, Zokora, Gervinho etc. Few stars & a lot of decent first division players. A team like that with a proper coach/momentum behind it and 2-3 more top players in the XI could have a solid shot, so they weren't miles off. I always feel like the African sides struggle to attract the right coaches.

Ghana were a pen away from a semi final, so again ...not a world away from being possible.

I can't really see it in my lifetime, I just don't think the infrastructure is there. Africa does produce a lot of talent, but the vast majority are extremely poor nations with a multitude of issues, from frequent wars, extreme poverty, illness, famine etc. All of these issues contribute to very little opportunity, with likely a mass of talent dying or just being missed, so the chances that any one African country produce sufficient talent to consistently beat the best the rest of the World can offer is very slim, IMHO.

It's worth noting as well that there are a lot of players, of African descent, that choose to take another nationality when they turn professional, particularly those that are good enough to start for the top nations, so many of those African nations can lose the type of player that could make a difference.
It would be great for Football as a whole if an African nation did win the WC, I just think the odds are stacked against them.

Agree that a African country doesn't have much chance of winning a WC
83e8698e28f732b578a25673da9f78c0da0f9aef.gifv

countries like Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco , Ivory Coast, South Africa and Ghana are no poorer than south american countries really. 2nd there are no wars there in those countries. Even the more war torn countries doesn't deal with the kinda shite that goes down in Europe every decade since WW1 .

3rd they have healthcare , and no famine or illness worse than many other counties globally . not the entire continent is like the adverts asking for a ยฃ1 a month, these are always rural villages away from major cities in poorer nations like Ethiopia, and it's no different for rural villages in south america or china but the whole of Africa then gets painted with that brush of kids with flies on the face and drinking dirty water.

And there's probably just as much opportunity as the comparable nations of south america hence why these teams are better than Columbia, or peru, costa rica, mexico, Paraguay, Chile etc etc

in reality there's western Europe and then there's Brazil and Argentina. do Ireland have a chance at the WC nope, or Russia, Serbia, Hungry, Greece, Finland, Sweden etc etc less than Ghana do imo

Africa has a decent chance of producing a great teams like Belgium, Columbia or Holland occasionally do in the next decade but as Jose would say its football Heritage and the truth is only Brazil, Argentina, England*, Italy, France, Spain*, Portugal, Germany have the recent heritage to go all the way
(*debatable)

The United States is the only one that has a slim chance since it has the population, the money, all the infrastructure you could desire but even then i think it's extremely unlikely.

Football Era-tidge

Back
Top Bottom