January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK fair enough.

If our biggest rivals go ahead and strengthen in a big way and we haven't, I hope there will be some acknowledgement from fans that prefer to stick to the silver lining every window

Last example was declan rice.....

"He's not worth it".

It's like being gaslighted every season by a controlling partner that insists everything is fine
Rice is a poor example to date. They've actually regressed since he joined them.

As good a player as he is, he's currently showing that the most expensive player isn't exactly the right fit.

They may get better, but so far he's not really justifying the cost as he hasn't improved the team.

I'd argue that Bentancur, when fit, has a greater positive impact for us than Rice does for the filth, and he cost £19M. Maddison cost less than half of what Rice did, and he was widely regarded as the best midfielder in the PL before his injury.

Getting players that improve the collective is far more important than how much it cost to get them.

Maddison was filling a hole in the squad that existed since eriksen left.

Rice was a record signing from a position of strength when they already had partey but decided they wanted to win the league

You need to judge our 'Rice' transfer when we have rebuilt the squad, Arse have got this stage by clearing the decks and building a process, let's see where we are after a similar timeline in 2 years time.

Oh yes to fill a depleted squad.

That's not "filling a depleted squad".... That's building an elite midfield.

But do we push the button on a rice when we are within touching distance of a title

If either group are gaslighting it's the ones supporting a regime that has led to 0 trophies since 2008, after cycling through many managers, insisting that "this cycle is different"

Right now we are just in a similar position to where we were on the upward curve with poch. There is no evidence to say we are taking a step beyond into being odds on to win a title

Bore off. This isn't about "supporting a regime". You're just chasing a VERY muddy point and have done a very poor job of arguing it.

Our only title challenge(s?) in the last 3/4 decades coincided with us building (and - importantly - part financing!) a £1bn stadium.... If you expected us to blow 100m on individual players when that was happening then more fool you.

Perspective: When the scum was building a new gaff; they had to sell all their best players and fell from champs to 4-6 place for the next 15-20 years.

Last edited:
Wow - you're starting to find excuses like the rest of them. Did conte get what he wanted to make his system work then? We got the stone wall centre half he needed?

I thought you were talking about teams on the brink of winning the league?

That wasn't Conte's Spurs.

You're all over the place... Just like you were earlier.

taking a step beyond into being odds on to win a title
We’ll never be odds on to win a title while there’s a team that can outspend us by £200m every year within the current parameters of FFP and can leverage advantages from multi club ownership.

If you want that then I suggest you buy a light blue shirt.

What I want is really smart signings that negate that advantage under a regime that insists we play good football.

We’ll never be odds on to win a title while there’s a team that can outspend us by £200m every year within the current parameters of FFP and can leverage advantages from multi club ownership.

If you want that then I suggest you buy a light blue shirt.

.........It's moot anyway. Rice didn't make the scum favourites for the league.

Goalposts are all over the gaff.

Oh yes to fill a depleted squad.

But do we push the button on a rice when we are within touching distance of a title

If either group are gaslighting it's the ones supporting a regime that has led to 0 trophies since 2008, after cycling through many managers, insisting that "this cycle is different"

Right now we are just in a similar position to where we were on the upward curve with poch. There is no evidence to say we are taking a step beyond into being odds on to win a title
There's no evidence to say we're not either.

Remember the Liverpool comparison?

If you actually look at his scoring record it’s not too bad at Chelsea for someone who didn’t play as striker all the time. I think he’s a 1 goal in 3 games player which could be very good in our team as our goals are spread through the team. When we get madders back that 1 in 3 might improve.
I’m actually quite excited about the thought of madders threading passes in behind for him .

If a player has some decent raw attributes (say bit of pace, movement) I have faith in Ange to get a tune out of them. And good point on Maddison, any attacking player should be enjoying playing next to him.

Let's see what happens. Our recruitment has been really good recently, though this is a different type of signing, nearly all the others were young and on the up curve for their career.

They guy has played 8 games for Leipzig this season, he’s their 4th choice striker by all accounts…

Look, I really hope that he does well and he provides adequate cover when Son is away etc, but it just seems like such a pointless, classic doing the bare minimum Levy signing.

And all the people shouting from the rooftops “Ange approved him so that’s good enough for meeeeee!!!!” :angryscouser:
This is such a flawed take on signings such as this.

For almost any signing the club makes, you get the usual media mouthpiece with the “this was approved by *Manager X

Now for people who are capable of reading between the lines, you must understand that if Levy goes, “Ange, we have naff all money to spend on an attacker, but we could do a loan deal for Timo Werner, that’s pretty much all we can do.”
So obviously Ange is going to approve signing Werner as opposed to no one at all especially considering the absentees we currently have.
Tis only flawed if it is not true and simply a pronouncement paying lip service to an incoming designed to seek approval from the fanbase.

Pretty sure Ange has gone on record saying he doesn't get involved in any of the machinations but does have final say on who comes in or leaves. So unless he's lying one might think it reasonable to assert no one comes in without his say so even if they weren't on his wish list in the first place?

Rice is a poor example to date. They've actually regressed since he joined them.

As good a player as he is, he's currently showing that the most expensive player isn't exactly the right fit.

They may get better, but so far he's not really justifying the cost as he hasn't improved the team.

I'd argue that Bentancur, when fit, has a greater positive impact for us than Rice does for the filth, and he cost £19M. Maddison cost less than half of what Rice did, and he was widely regarded as the best midfielder in the PL before his injury.

Getting players that improve the collective is far more important than how much it cost to get them.

Rice has been one of their best players, scored key goals and made key tackles that effectively puts them in a great position to win the league.

They look worse this year because they also lost xhaka who was very well suited to artetas system. Also defences are more savvy to martinelli and saka, and odegaard isn't in great form.

Yet still because of the strength of their squad they find themselves in with a good chance of winning the league.

If ange wins the league it's a miracle

Wow - you're starting to find excuses like the rest of them. Did conte get what he wanted to make his system work then? We got the stone wall centre half he needed?

No Conte didn't. He wanted Bastoni and got Lenglet. He wanted Hakimi and got Spence.

The difference is Ange isn't like Conte, he seems to prefer finding diamonds in the rough or players that have that point to prove like he does. The type of signing he wants is actually a fit with the financial model of the club.

The biggest frustration with me over the Jose and Conte years was the pretense. People will say we spent on Jose and Conte but we didn't spend the amount those two cheque book managers needed. That frustration is less for me with a guy like Ange because he's not profiling players we can't afford.

Not signing a third CB in the summer was diabolical from the club but it doesn't add a filter to the way I'd look at Werner coming in.

I thought you were talking about teams on the brink of winning the league?

That wasn't Conte's Spurs.

You're all over the place... Just like you were earlier.

Conte had the best striker in the world, Son heung min, bissouma, bentancur, kulusevski.

What was missing?

A wing back and some CENTRE BACKS.

He got djed and suffered dier and Davies.

We could have won a league with conte if the squad was completed.

I think if he is a loan, with an option to buy, and we are playing Gil in that position while Sonny is away, is it a bad option? I trust Ange on this one, I think Werner has qualat
ies that can be capitalised with the right management, as long as the bloke puts the effort in. Maybe it is just me.

For liverpool, the evidence was the moment they bought van dijk and Alison.

They went from a decent team to unstoppable.
3/4 years into Klopp's tenure. 3 years of squad building before he got his final jigsaw pieces.

Can you really not see how shaky your assertion is? You want us to do in 7 months and 2 windows, what it took Liverpool 4 years and roughly 10 windows to do.

Do you actually believe that's reasonable?

Back
Top Bottom