Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Millbanks

Spurs - Champions Cup of Europe Winners 2011
This cropped up in a thread a few days ago, but I am interested to hear people's thoughts as to whether -

1) They feel certain clubs maintain a strange-hold over the attention of the media?
and;
2) Whether you actually give a fuck, and would prefer Spurs stay 'under the radar' as it were?

The (main) reason I raise this is I find it exceptionally frustrating to bring up Sky Sports News app on my phone today and I actually struggle to find anything on our battering of Chelsea. I stated the same on the day of our COC clash with Newcastle - it was all Liverpool vs Bournemouth stories.

To list the current stories in order on SSN app -

Gerrard: My Toughest Decision
Gerrard exit saddens Carragher
Thommo: Last of a dying breed
Rodgers pays tribute to Gerrard
Houllier: Gerrard could manage
Liverpool's greatest?
Best Gerrard moments
Transfer Centre
Palace still to confirm Pardew
West Brom to unveil Pulis
Supporter charged by police
New Saints deal for Yoshida
Green admits slice of luck
Regional Paper Talk
Mourinho to rotate for Watford
Jovetic relishing title race
Shaw retains title hopes
Terry: We'll go on a run
Jagielka: We need to step up
Dyche confident of survival
On the FantasyFC...
WIndow opens on Saturday
Football news in brief

That's it. Not a bean on Spurs. Not one interview. No manager comments. No media comments. No player comments. Fuck all. Just Mourinho advising his plans for his next match and Terry confirming they'll win loads of games in a row. Thanks.

YOSHIDA SIGNS NEW DEAL!!

WE FUCKING BEAT CHELSEA 5-3 LESS THAN 24 HOURS AGO FOR FUCK SAKE!!!

They can all fuck off, biased wankers.

WE ARE TOTTENHAM
SUPER TOTTENHAM
WE ARE TOTTENHAM
FROM THE LANE

Yes, we are under the radar, as we aren't the team most media people cheered for as kids. That makes us a perpetual darkhorse just because we're not part of their narrative. I kinda like it that way, as it would mean we won't have the same fawning idiocy which those clubs get as well.

It may mean that we won't get the respect we deserve, but I would really enjoy seeing this Spurs side mature, win the League, and hearing the media stew in silence because we aren't supposed to do this to them.

Not sure why Gerrard is even a story now - we've still got 4 or 5 months of him playing for Liverpool

who's to say there won't be a dramatic last minute change of heart as well.....

To be fair, looking at your list - there don't appear to be write ups of any other matches from yesterday, either.

Also, perhaps they just don't see it as that big of a deal? Not necessarily a bad thing, IMHO.

Watched ESPN Soccernet today and all they spoke about was how Chelsea are on a downer and pretty much nothing about Spurs.. Pissed me off so much. Barely mentioned Kane's brace and on top of that one of the guys on the panel hates us with a passion and won't admit that we're a half decent side. Annoys me so much, I don't mind us not getting crazy media attention. But I want something more than just a mention.

Yeah, Sky pundits are so well informed, heard some ex-spammer cunt wittering on about how Sherwood gave Kane, Bentaleb and.....Mason their starts in the first team...

Gerrard clapped out footballer who is being cut loose by his two faced manager!
Spures 5 Chelski 3: The news story of the day and it just shows the lack of clear objectivity that journos have in Britannia at this time.

The media (certain journalists) frame the story to give credit to their favourite teams.For example lets say southampton beat Woolwich, it has NOTHING to do with southamptons terrific attacking talent or what they did in the game, its all about Woolwich 's 'defensive problems'.Just like the narrative for spurs beating chelsea is all about Mourinho's reactions and chelsea's defensive problems. A few good words for harry kane but hardly anything. If Manu had beat chelsea 5-3 they would be sounding the alarms and using 80pt font on their front pages with their stupid tag lines
. Bottom line is the media needs more balanced journalists and pundits.who aren't closet gooners, scousers ect. Nonotheless, the guardian tends to give us a bit more credit. telegraph, daily fail,skysports..ect nope.

Watched ESPN Soccernet today and all they spoke about was how Chelsea are on a downer and pretty much nothing about Spurs.. Pissed me off so much. Barely mentioned Kane's brace and on top of that one of the guys on the panel hates us with a passion and won't admit that we're a half decent side. Annoys me so much, I don't mind us not getting crazy media attention. But I want something more than just a mention.

The best was Bradley Allen on BBC after the game saying it was "a free hit" for us playing against Chelsea because they've played so many games recently!

If we were in Everton's position right now the media would be all over our backs asking when Levy will pull the trigger. It's not just the "big" clubs who get looked after. Definitely hidden agendas out there.

While on agendas it seems like if you're an England international you can get away with slapping one week or kicking the next. If Suarez did what either Sterling or Cahill did he would have been drawn and quartered by the press!

Arnt we about to co-share with them Joe (as revealed by yourself)
Quite possibly, but that wasn't my point. I know it's only natural to want to hear people saying nice things about you, but the media are full of shit, and our result doesn't change anything. It's great they don't see it as a big deal - it's a compliment of sorts.

The best was Bradley Allen on BBC after the game saying it was "a free hit" for us playing against Chelsea because they've played so many games recently!

For him to say that after we have played the most games this season of any Prem team is beyond absurd, where do they get these people from? Chavs have a huge World Class squad funded by a billionaire crook, if any team is built to deal with lots of games it's the chavs. An excuse not even worthy of the dog ate my homework.

You wouldn't even know we'd fucking played yesterday, let alone beat top of the table and London rivals 5-3. It's truly pathetic.

To be fair, looking at your list - there don't appear to be write ups of any other matches from yesterday, either.

Also, perhaps they just don't see it as that big of a deal? Not necessarily a bad thing, IMHO.
Less than 24 hours since we beat top of the table 5-3, in a London derby, with an excellent performance, and they lead with SEVEN Gerrard stories.

Thing is, it's not even a 'big club' thing. I bet if West Ham or Sunderland had won that 5-3 the media would still be swarming al over it.

We are one of few teams that doesn't get the credit when it's due, yet we get swamped in negativity after a loss.

It's not that we don't get any media coverage, it's that we get far more of it for the wrong reasons, and not a mention when we deserve it.

It,s because they hate there seating fuck em .
images
images

Back
Top Bottom