Anyone else wish they could get an antibody test to see if they caught Covid-19 at the Norwich FA Cup game?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think you caught Covid-19 at the Norwich FA Cup game on 4th March?

• Total voters
Hey everyone,

Does anyone else think they could have caught Covid-19 at the FA Cup game against Norwich on 4th March? It’s really bugging me, and wish the government would start rolling out antibody tests for the general public. I’m a postman, and don’t know whether I should still be worrying so much about catching it or not! 🙈
Even with a test that would prove nothing regarding Norwich game, it shows you may have had it (I don't think it shows you have had Covid-19 it may have been another strain) at some point. As they are finding evidence and they are finding evidence as far back as October in London.

I reckon me and my family may have had it before Christmas, really weird cough lasting 3 weeks that we couldnt shake. We were saying it wasnt like a normal cough / cold /flu at the time.

Does he still have to take just as much precaution knowing that he's had it now as he did before?

Yes, no change.

If you've had it and had mild symptoms, would it mean that at the very least you have built up some resistance? Or that if you got it again, it would effect you in the same way it did before?

Nobody knows yet so maybe, maybe not. However, if it behaves similarly to some other Coronaviruses such as the common cold, immunity only lasts for six months or so anyway so without a vaccine we can never be 100% safe from it.

Anti-bodies can last as little as 2 months in some people, so you may not be immune regardless of if you contracted it, you may have just built up a better resistance. It unfortunately doesn't change much either way.
Yeah but antibodies aren't really the key indicator in immunity. It's simple familiarity so though you no longer have antibodies in your system. The bodies immune response now recognizes the virus and can effectively deal with it. It's this , that works as conferred immunity, even if the virus mutated it still recognises the threat. Like Harry Kane with a beard the opposition back four still get the threat tries(and failes) to neutralise him. Scientists can't go definitive on immunity because we simply haven't had enough time to say with 100% certainty. Tell you what though if there is NOT immunity after infection it would be almost unheard of in Coronavirus and an almost guarantee that this was lab made. Yes China I'm looking at you.👀

My son is a paramedic with the LAS. He somehow got through the whole period without getting any symptoms at all despite dealing with loads of people with symptoms who (probably) had it and travelling on the tube every day. He had the antibody test last week and it was positive.

So symptoms (or lack of them) basically mean nothing and a positive test doesn't mean that you are immune or if so for how long. And a negative test doesn't mean that you wouldn't have been positive last week or won't be next week.

So the bottom line is you still wouldn't know for sure even if you had the test.
That is simultaneously both good news and very bad news.

Good news, obviously he didn't even know he had it. No symptoms.

Terrible news - he could have been passing it to hundreds of people without even being aware of the possibility.

NHS and carers must be tested at least weekly.

Yeah but antibodies aren't really the key indicator in immunity. It's simple familiarity so though you no longer have antibodies in your system. The bodies immune response now recognizes the virus and can effectively deal with it. It's this , that works as conferred immunity, even if the virus mutated it still recognises the threat. Like Harry Kane with a beard the opposition back four still get the threat tries(and failes) to neutralise him. Scientists can't go definitive on immunity because we simply haven't had enough time to say with 100% certainty. Tell you what though if there is NOT immunity after infection it would be almost unheard of in Coronavirus and an almost guarantee that this was lab made. Yes China I'm looking at you.👀
I thought this was similar to the common cold in that you aren't immune (can't get infected) but you handle it better as your body adapts. I think we are saying the same thing, honestly - I'm fully admitting my ignorance on the details of the topic.

My wife and I both went to that match and travelled on Public Transport to Northumberland Park and neither of us had any symptoms and do not think we have had it.

That is simultaneously both good news and very bad news.

Good news, obviously he didn't even know he had it. No symptoms.

Terrible news - he could have been passing it to hundreds of people without even being aware of the possibility.

NHS and carers must be tested at least weekly.

Yes they should be tested weekly and I'm sure that they will be once there is a simpler finger-prick type test that gives an instant result, but at present it involves taking a full vial of blood from a vein which is then sent to a lab for analysis and results then takes 7-14 days to come back so it's probably not going to happen that frequently yet.

Yes they should be tested weekly and I'm sure that they will be once there is a simpler finger-prick type test that gives an instant result, but at present it involves taking a full vial of blood from a vein which is then sent to a lab for analysis and results then takes 7-14 days to come back so it's probably not going to happen that frequently yet.
My other half works NHS so managed to get a test couple of weeks back, but it was a lot quicker? I think results in 48 hrs. Maybe different test?

When I see plonkers like Ian Botham come out with the 'I had it back in January, my symptoms were just like flu but I'm pretty sure looking back it was covid' then I'm thinking, nah you plonker, that was flu.

On the other hand, when I had 3 days of flu-like symptoms (but without the cough), in May, I'm pretty sure I had I (and I went and got tested for it but they lost the results). So I don't know........

They lost the results?

My three kids and I had two rounds of tests, nearly three. They contaminated the first set. They lost the second set and found them two days later. All of us were positive. Took two weeks to get our results.

Are you in the UK? I am in the U.S.

Does he still have to take just as much precaution knowing that he's had it now as he did before?

If you've had it and had mild symptoms, would it mean that at the very least you have built up some resistance? Or that if you got it again, it would effect you in the same way it did before?

Our doctors have said we have immunity for at least 3 months and potentially longer. They don’t know for sure whether immunity will be longer than 3 months.

My other half works NHS so managed to get a test couple of weeks back, but it was a lot quicker? I think results in 48 hrs. Maybe different test?

Maybe. Some of his station have been waiting more than 14 days. He definitely waited over 7; I know that he was about to give up and get retested when it came back. Some have come back inconclusive and his crew mate's taken at the same time as his still hasn't come back. Seems a bit of a mess TBH.

At least his calls seem to be getting back to normal and less Covid-related. Drink, drugs, people falling off bikes, the usual stuff. One guy this week had a bad headache and was feeling sick - turned out to have a massive hangover after attending an illegal party the night before. Left him with two paracetamol...

Our doctors have said we have immunity for at least 3 months and potentially longer. They don’t know for sure whether immunity will be longer than 3 months.

Really? I'm not sure that's correct unless CDC opinion has changed since 23 May when they said*: "these observations suggest that the presence of antibodies may decrease a person’s infectiousness and offer some level of protection from reinfection. However, definitive data are lacking, and it remains uncertain whether individuals with antibodies (neutralizing or total) are protected against reinfection with SARS-CoV-2, and if so, what concentration of antibodies is needed to confer protection."

*Taken from: Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Really? I'm not sure that's correct unless CDC opinion has changed since 23 May when they said*: "these observations suggest that the presence of antibodies may decrease a person’s infectiousness and offer some level of protection from reinfection. However, definitive data are lacking, and it remains uncertain whether individuals with antibodies (neutralizing or total) are protected against reinfection with SARS-CoV-2, and if so, what concentration of antibodies is needed to confer protection."

*Taken from: Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The opinion comes from a leading researcher that is not in the U.S.

The issue with the CDC is that it has lost a lot of credibility with the ridiculous early claim that masks were ineffective. It turns out they made that claim because they wanted more masks for essential workers in health care, but they knew the claim was bullshit from the beginning. So, unfortunately it means many people won’t trust what they say.

I am not saying they’re wrong about immunity, though a careful read of that statement you quoted basically leads to the conclusion that they simply don’t know for sure one way or another.

Since we just recovered and have a weakened immune system, we will continue to be careful to protect ourselves and others. I trust my source more than the CDC.

The issue with the CDC is that it has lost a lot of credibility with the ridiculous early claim that masks were ineffective. It turns out they made that claim because they wanted more masks for essential workers in health care, but they knew the claim was bullshit from the beginning. So, unfortunately it means many people won’t trust what they say.

I am not saying they’re wrong about immunity, though a careful read of that statement you quoted basically leads to the conclusion that they simply don’t know for sure one way or another.

Since we just recovered and have a weakened immune system, we will continue to be careful to protect ourselves and others. I trust my source more than the CDC.

Exactly. We just don't know yet so it's best not to lull people into a false sense of security.

Exactly. We just don't know yet so it's best not to lull people into a false sense of security.

True - has there been any documented cases of a person catching Covid 19 a second time?

I remember reading about South Korea but it was actually false tests or that they had been given the all clear prematurely and hadn't actually been infected a 2nd time.

Anti-bodies can last as little as 2 months in some people, so you may not be immune regardless of if you contracted it, you may have just built up a better resistance. It unfortunately doesn't change much either way.

I was given an antibody test through work last Wednesday, nothing showed up. I am pretty sure I had it in February but who knows as the tests have been given out months too late.

I am related to a Nobel prize winning immunology professor he tells me that it is very likely there will be conferred immunity once you have positively been infected and survived. You should not be complacent however as we know virus mutate. However even then your immune system should have enough knowledge to deal with it. The proof if you like is in the kind of ateno vaccines that are in production depen on just this fact. No health authority will go on record however as we simply can not be definitive. Not enough time has passed. I will repeat however that if no such immunity is conferred we are most likely looking at something man made..

I was given an antibody test through work last Wednesday, nothing showed up. I am pretty sure I had it in February but who knows as the tests have been given out months too late.
I think like 2% of cases are presumed not to form antibodies at all. Unless you had a positive test when infected it’s really hard to tell either way.

I am related to a Nobel prize winning immunology professor he tells me that it is very likely there will be conferred immunity once you have positively been infected and survived. You should not be complacent however as we know virus mutate. However even then your immune system should have enough knowledge to deal with it. The proof if you like is in the kind of ateno vaccines that are in production depen on just this fact. No health authority will go on record however as we simply can not be definitive. Not enough time has passed. I will repeat however that if no such immunity is conferred we are most likely looking at something man made..

Agree with you. Interesting statement there at the end. One thing I found so odd is the range and diversity of the symptoms and the organs affected.

Back
Top Bottom