Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GJsD3gbWwAA_y_Q

They drew the line from his knee
Surely it's his left foot (clearly touching the red line), not his knee (clearly not touching the red line). :/

Ben Davies is turning out to be like a fine Bordeaux wine - I’m appreciating him more and more with age. Be nice to see him progress through the management ranks at HW.
I hope so.

You sense a large degree of common sense, empathy, intelligence, dependability and leadership in his person, albeit lacking as a top level player. Let's see if he can build on a career in management, if that's what he wants. He's also eloquent enough to possibly have a media career, assuming he can transpose what he knows to what we can see.

GJsD3gbWwAA_y_Q

They drew the line from his knee
Put my glasses on next time 😂😂😂Players cannot judge being offside that accurately when s,all margins are involved. Football is all,about goals hopefully great goals and we fans are seeing so many ruled out for marginal offsides. It should be the foot, only the foot amd the whole foot that should determine offside.

I hope so.

You sense a large degree of common sense, empathy, intelligence, dependability and leadership in his person, albeit lacking as a top level player. Let's see if he can build on a career in management, if that's what he wants. He's also eloquent enough to possibly have a media career, assuming he can transpose what he knows to what we can see.
Eloquence and media are chalk and cheese

Eloquence and media are chalk and cheese
True, and if you have it you're almost guaranteed a job-for-life. It would be nice to have eloquence and the ability to tell me something I can't obviously see / don't know. A Michael Johnson for football would be great.

True, and if you have it you're almost guaranteed a job-for-life. It would be nice to have eloquence and the ability to tell me something I can't obviously see / don't know. A Michael Johnson for football would be great.
Like a younger Jamie Redknapp you mean?

I like Ned Onuoha on R5, too calm and considered for Sky / BT hyperbole tho

Last edited:
Like a younger Jamie Redknapp you mean?

I like Ned Onuoga on R5, too calm and considered for Sky / BT hyperbole tho
Onuoha is excellent, both on radio and telly. I can't say I recall Redknapp ever being an analyst of note, at any age.

Very few good ones around, certainly from the ex-footballer genre. But I would guess the majority of viewers (and therefore TV platforms) don't want journalists, but as you say, rather the big name.

Onuoha is excellent, both on radio and telly. I can't say I recall Redknapp ever being an analyst of note, at any age.

Very few good ones around, certainly from the ex-footballer genre. But I would guess the majority of viewers (and therefore TV platforms) don't want journalists, but as you say, rather the big name.
Was joking re: Redknapp, can’t stand him

Paul Robinson is ok

I figured there was irony in your message.

Robinson is OK, and there are others. But jobs for the boys, along with the ticking of correct social boxes will be around for a good time yet.
I mean yes - are there any token female analysts that add anything? Hayes was good at tournaments but the commonly used ones are simply terrible and a parody - Alex Scott over Ohunua as an example? Proper LOLZ

I mean yes - are there any token female analysts that add anything? Hayes was good at tournaments but the commonly used ones are simply terrible and a parody - Alex Scott over Ohunua as an example? Proper LOLZ
Happy to get shot down here but I think Karen Carney has improved almost immeasurably over time. The grief she received over the comments about Leeds was ridiculous but also naïve on her part, whether she was right or wrong - you can't take on whole club support and get a sensible nodding of heads along with the dissenters - unfortunately, football support doesn't work that way, in the main. I don't see a lot of Alex Scott but the little I do leads me to think she's more of an all-round TV sports presenter - Gabby Logan mid-to-long term replacement kind of thing.

Punditry and analysis will never be perfect for the viewer - we all want different things, and most of us think we know enough to question the on screen talent, and it does frustrate me as all I really want is a decent talk during or after a game. The only setup that actually works for me is James Richardson with the other European experts who do the live scores for selected European nights on BT. Mark Chapman with the likes of Onuoha and Mark Schwartzer works well too.

Back
Top Bottom