Heading ban.....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come on - they’re only trying to prevent little kids dying of brain related diseases later in life.

It’s only for under 11s and it doesn’t apply in matches. What’s wrong with allowing children to develop their ball skills first? There’s plenty of time to learn how to head a ball properly later in their development, and if kids want to practise heading on their own they’ll find a cheap, lightweight, plastic ball and a wall - like we all did.

It’s a lot of fuss about nothing imo.

The future of football
giphy.gif

The header will definitely end up being banned sooner or later. I'm pretty sure of that. At least in training.
I don't think that's a terrible thing. According to the following article from the Beeb, footballers are 3.5 times more likely to die of dementia than the general population. We are literally paying to watch people give themselves brain damage.

I'm not sure how anyone (myself included) can square the circle that is paying Sky / BT to encourage people to hit each other in the head as hard as they possibly can, while accepting we should ban heading in football. But I suppose we can possibly separate them by saying lets start with the easiest challenges? Much like the "should other countries be doing something about the situation in Isreal and if so why not China" discussion. Maybe we should at least start to address the issues. That's at least better than closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and singin lah lah lah.

Can the modern balls cause as much damage as the balls of yesteryear? They are so lightweight now, probably don't become even heavier when wet, and no laces, which could cut a player's head. These days, I think most head injuries are when players come together in a collision.
I think it's fair enough to ban it from kids' games, but not so much at adult level.

Was listening to experts on this not too long ago..... Can't remember the exact statistics, but the force of heading a modern ball directly back from where it came when it's flying full pelt is still pretty serious in terms of the potential accumulative effects.

Of course people initially point to th old days/old balls etc. but we're coming into a time frame where the 80's guys are now hitting their 60's so a new generation of research samples are becoming available.....

This debate and research will rumble on for decades to come.....

Come on - they’re only trying to prevent little kids dying of brain related diseases later in life.

It’s only for under 11s and it doesn’t apply in matches. What’s wrong with allowing children to develop their ball skills first? There’s plenty of time to learn how to head a ball properly later in their development, and if kids want to practise heading on their own they’ll find a cheap, lightweight, plastic ball and a wall - like we all did.

It’s a lot of fuss about nothing imo.
I agree.
But the outraged-by-political correctness brigade will push back. "we was headin' breeze blocks in my day and it ain't done me no harm"

Was listening to experts on this not too long ago..... Can't remember the exact statistics, but the force of heading a modern ball directly back from where it came when it's flying full pelt is still pretty serious in terms of the potential accumulative effects.

Of course people initially point to th old days/old balls etc. but we're coming into a time frame where the 80's guys are now hitting their 60's so a new generation of research samples are becoming available.....

This debate and research will rumble on for decades to come.....
This is the most important aspect for me. When I played my most competitive football, late 80’s early 90’s I would blackout 7 or 8 times a season after heading a ball (almost all of mine were defensive and back then from keepers launching the ball high into the air to be contested by CB and CF). The blackouts would be for no more than a couple of seconds but even then us players were all talking about it and if it was any good for you.

The balls then weren’t just heavier from the start but on a wet pitch they would absorb so much water it was like a medicine ball into the 2nd half.

Whilst I play vets stuff now, I still head the ball and it has to be +20yrs since I’ve blacked out from heading a new style (lighter ball, and I guess they’ve got lighter over this period too??).

It would be a massive change to the sport but if the data supports it’s still dangerous then it has to be banned IMO

Yikes!

.......When you say this, do you mean it happened moments after the impact or randomly later that evening?
Immediately after impact!! Never long enough to fall over, but long enough to make you think twice about wanting to challenge for it again.

It’s a bit scary if I dwell on it and what’s ahead of me if you look at the stats you mentioned above.

They already have ...footballs already been made a contact sport where no contact is allowed..triple salkos with double toe loops when the wind blows you over dont help either.

Have you seen Demolition Man?

We are heading for the dystopian future of the Cocteau plan.

I feel like Edgar Friendly standing ranting about wanting a big greasy cheeseburger, while I smoke a big fat cigar. Because that's what I want, and fuck somebody trying to tell me it isn't good for me.

Back
Top Bottom