Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's taken a couple of days to get my thoughts together after this, absolutely devastated.

I once met Greaves in the Brookmans Park Hotel, back when Chivers was running it (not sure if he still is as I haven't been that way in over 30 years). I was just a youngun at the time, and the Old Man took me over there to meet Martin Chivers. We were in the bar having a chat with MC, reminiscing about games that my Dad had watched, and the ones he took me to back in the late 60's and early 70's, when in walked Greaves. Don't worry, he wasn't drinking, he'd just popped in to say hello to MC.

After saying hello, I was a bit overawed as this man was my Dad's all time hero, we said we'd leave them to it, but Greavsie being an absolute gent, invited us to join them.

I still remember that night as one of my most Golden memories. We were treated to a feast of story telling that had me in tears of laughter. The one that sticks out the most was the story he told about how he'd been on the lash one Friday night, got plastered and, worried that he'd not make the game the following day, he drove to WHL and kipped in the car! He then went out and scored a hat trick with a banging hangover!

I really don't do the story justice because no one could deliver a story like Greaves, I've never seen my Dad laugh so much.

For most, the memory of Greaves is from his Saint and Greavsie days or, for the real olduns, his sublime gift as a striker.

For me the memory is of an absolute gent who went out of his way to entertain a youngster he'd only just met and a man who held him on a pedestal.

Heaven's 11 just got the greatest striker the World has ever seen, and the banter in the bar afterwards just went up a level.

RIP you wonderful man, you are sorely missed already.

Why was he never honoured ? He got a paltry mbe couple of years back! Yet the dish out knighthoods / Obes/ men’s to cricketer just for win a test series v the Aussies or other sports starts get honoured including footballers for far less. Amazing no one ever really raised it?

Sorry if a repeat posting.....

Probably an old story for some; this made me laugh but also spoke of how much of a top lad Greavsie was

In short Moore got fitted up on some bullshit charge over the theft of a bracelet during a stop-over in Bogota whilst on tour with the England team on the run up to the 1970 world cup finals and found himself holed up in the British Embassy out there......

Jimmy Drops in on Bobby

In a bizarre incident on the final South American leg of this competition in Mexico City. Greaves persuaded Fall and the Daily Express journalist Norman Giller to help him find the embassy where his best friend, fellow West Ham player Bobby Moore was being kept as a guest. Having discovered it, the cheeky Jimmy shined over the wall. “I got into the back of the house through some French windows,” Greaves said. “Mooro almost dropped his lager in surprise when he saw me approaching from the direction of the kitchen. He was even more surprised when I asked him where he’d hidden the bracelet!” The two best mates sat down to ease their troubles. It was a welcome amusing distraction to what was a very serious situation.

Back
Top Bottom