New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are the height levels in metres ? And is it from ground level or sea level ?
I only ask because if the roof height is just over 50 metres from ground level, that is going to have a major impact on the local skyline. There is an office building near to where I live called Southgate house and this is 58 metres tall, just 8 metres taller than the proposed height of the new WHL, if anyone knows it you will know what I mean. I just can't imagine a stadium being that tall.

The levels on the drawing will be AOD (Above Ordnance Datum). Usually sea level will be the datum. You can see the pitch level is 11.715m .

Thank God someone agrees with me, and is prepared to swim against the tide, and leave "I've got a bigger stadium than you" ego behind. The supporters in England unfortunately lack the passion of our European counterparts, and large stadiums rarely have a good atmosphere anyway. Mainly because the working class man is being priced out of watching football, the middle class families are infesting our stadiums, and political correctness prevents us from enjoying ourselves, the atmosphere is dying.

Of course, there is an argument that we need a larger turnover to attract the players we need. This is an argument I whole heartedly and adamantly disagree with. Match day turnover contributes lass than 20% of the clubs turnover, and by increasing the capacity by 20,000 will in % terms only increase total turnover by a negligible amount. It should also be remembered that the stadium build will take a good ten years to pay for, in which time we won't be able to buy any players of real value. I also think you all know that if we don't start getting CL on a regular basis (which is unlikely) attempting to fill the stadium will be an embarrassment, especially as our chairman doesn't understand strategic pricing. For example, WHL was half empty the other night, regardless of the official attendance, and he was still charging £25 per adult. Chelsea and Woolwich charge £10 for similar games. Levy will no doubt try and follow the Emirates route and increase tickets by about 30%. As well as all that, the now unsociable times supporters are expected to turn up, is putting people off.

So why should the club build a new stadium. Spurs would become an attractive and viable purchase for some billionaire Russian or Arab. This means that Levy and the board build the new stadium using the clubs money, but when the club is sold they make an absolute fortune. I don't actually have a problem with that, I just don't think that people should get sucked in thinking that a bigger stadium will get us success. After all, what have that lot up the road won since they built the Emirates ?

While 20k extra seats might not have a huge impact on our overall turnover, the other side to it is the corporate revenue. A brand new stadium will be able to house probably double the corporate guests for each match, with much newer, plusher facilities and a much higher price tag per suit.

Then of course there's the naming rights - we don't really know how much this could make us, but given Levy's track record in negotiating I'm sure we'll secure a very good deal. Then consider potential revenue from other events like concerts etc.

All in all I reckon a new stadium will probably pay itself back in 10-15 years. Although that doesn't necessarily mean I want it...

Apparently some ITK, this is an email/letter someone received on the matter:

"Not sure I ever fully believe what I read in the press, although I was please to read the fans comments. We worked hard to ensure that we captured the fans requirements within a completely tailored design, rather than the more corporate designs of some of our competitors. Spurs statement reflects my understanding of the current position but I don't know for certain. We completed the last design stage at the end of last year. The Club are trying to resolve the CPO issues and cannot proceed further until they complete the purchase of the whole site. I am sure that we will all be a little wiser of the Club's plans then."

Didn't Juve leave the Stadio Delle Alpi and, by way of the Stadio Olympico, move to a smaller stadium? I think it is 40,000, and once they played a cup match in front of 50 odd spectators due to not lowering ticket prices, this meant there were more people employed in the stadium than were spectating.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain of the above.

Didn't Juve leave the Stadio Delle Alpi and, by way of the Stadio Olympico, move to a smaller stadium? I think it is 40,000, and once they played a cup match in front of 50 odd spectators due to not lowering ticket prices, this meant there were more people employed in the stadium than were spectating.

Yes they played in front of 100 odd fans at their old stadium. The old stadium had a running track (bad views) and was far too big. The new stadium has done wonders for their atmosphere and increased revenue.

To my understanding the fans hated that place intensely from day one. Just about everything was wrong with it, and because of the running track and advertising hoardings some fans could hardly see the pitch.

Moved to a 25k smaller stadium and their attendance probably doubled, basically.

That's SO weird... I had a dream last night (blatant Martin Luther King'ism) that the plans were finally rubber stamped and work was beginning THIS weekend... obviously the reduced capacity for Hull was a problem, with half the Paxton having to watch on from the building site/car park, but hey, that's dreams for you!!

Here's the link....
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=549397&page=300

sliding pitches, Huhhhhhhhhhhhhh???

The NFL groundshare idea seems a little too far-fetched for me. I can't see an NFL London team playing anywhere other than Wembley (and quite frankly don't see a London NFL team any time soon regardless)
As pointed out by the thread, wembley would make it the second biggest NFL stadium.

They can sell out two novelty games a season, but to sell out a season in a country that doesnt count it as a major sport, with a home team having ups and downs is a different matter. So might make sense to use a smaller stadium.

Could wembley cope with that many games a year on the pitch as well?

The whole thing stinks of someone saying "NFL-Style" and someone hearing "NFL Groundshare".

Chinese whispers as far as I'm concerned.

I hope so. Love NFL, even played on the line at Uni but Spurs stadium should be for football matches/concerts out of season.

The though of sharing a ground with another team from any sport doesn't make it feel like we have a 'home' IMHO.

:klinsmann:

If any of this is to be belived, then it sounds as if we have gone from building a purpose built world class football stadium, to building a purpose built NFL stadium. I am getting a very negative vibe over this, so will stop and be patient and await offical communication from the club.

The NFL groundshare idea seems a little too far-fetched for me. I can't see an NFL London team playing anywhere other than Wembley (and quite frankly don't see a London NFL team any time soon regardless)
:gallashmm:
article-2470619-18E2FAE700000578-620_634x426.jpg

article-2470619-18E2E7EF00000578-465_634x420.jpg

article-2470619-18E30C3600000578-608_634x417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom